Latest post Sat, Mar 9 2024 8:43 PM by Adrian Redmond. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 23 2024 8:39 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 302
    • Points 4,180

Curious capture from VTR problem (help!)

I think my memory is NOT serving me right! I have been off work sick since the new year and am just starting up again.

Today I need to capture a 30 minute film to MC from an HDCAM VTR - as a single clip.

I fired up my system, tried to capture but the system aborts after a few seconds, with the message "Exception: DIG_VDM_OVERRUN"

I have seen this before - usually due to (A) fragmented drives, or (B) Incorrect reference settings for MC and VTR.

I have tried several not fragmented media arrays - same problem.

The VTR (Sony HDW-M2000P) has servo ref set to EXTERNAL (my usual setting)

The MC DX Output tool has sync lock set to REF 1 (also usual setting)

Downconvert and crossconvert are both set to OFF

Remembering that my last capture job in December was run on my other system almost identical MC setup with identical HDCAM VTR) I fired that up to check the settings which should not have changed since the last succesful capture job.

Same problem here - will not complete a capture beyond 5-15 secs.

Perhaps I have forgotten something? I have been stuck on this for 7 hours now and need top get this film captured and ready for release by monday am :)

Any ideas?

(FYI - the MC Console on both systems reports as folows...

StreamingPlayConsumer::DoSDKHWEncodeForCapture - SDK HW encode disabled

--------------------------------

Batch Capturing Clip :: 410070 Clip[ 001
       * Batch capturing Media to volume (P:)

***!!!*** Batch Capture Aborted.  Media Discarded.

--------------------------------

Batch Capturing Clip :: 410070 Clip[ 001
       * Batch capturing Media to volume (P:)
    DIDWriter::DoSDKHWEncodeForCapture - SDK HW encode disabled
       (Discontinuous TC base tolerance = 6)
    Exception caught in APlayer::Play - Exception: DIG_VDM_OVERRUN
    Exception:
    @ Fri Feb 23 21:21:11 2024
    Exception: DIG_VDM_OVERRUN
    BatchDigitize - clip 1 TOO_SHORT - master 46389, digitized 23

***!!!*** Batch Capture Aborted.  Media Discarded.

--------------------------

Thanks in hope :)

Adrian

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650L 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 256GB RAM (192GB available to OS), NVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Sat, Feb 24 2024 12:31 AM In reply to

Re: Curious capture from VTR problem (help!)

If on a deadline, one could try a manual capture turning OFF The TC button. See if that works for 30+ mins uninterrupted. You might need to visit a Setting about ignoring TC breaks.

Is this a re-capture? Begin manual capture earlier and extending later to any previous time-coded capture you made in MC. Match previous masterclip Audio Settings. Then use the VTR to locate and park on a discreet edit near the start, noting the time code. Then do the math. Consolidate the manual capture masterclip (on a shortened subclip) to match the original capture Duration; modify the considated Subclip's Starting TC by backtiming from your discreet T.C. Edit/Frame; match the DF/NDF status and original Tape Name. Relink to an old MC sequence might work out or suit your needs otherwise.

-Telegram!

• Sat, Feb 24 2024 2:11 PM In reply to

Does the ref lock light on the capture tool light up solid when you start capturing? What reference are you feeding the deck? You mention your reference settings are set to external but not where they are taking the sync from? Try setting the ref to input? Perhaps try setting a longer pre-roll time? Is Capture across timecode breaks set or not? 

Is your deck autoconfigured correctly? Have you tried the Generic template? Or a different Sony template?

Your console readout says this is a batch capture? Does the existing clip match the tape timecode? And what resolution are you trying to capture at? Are the drives fast enough? Can you capture to the C drive?

I'd suggest doing as Telegram says and capturing on the fly then alter the clip afterwards.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 24 2024 3:14 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 4,180

Thanks! The sync reference system in our suite has been stable and reliable for several years. A Tektronix SPG600 master SPG feeding (via VDA's) all equipment, including the Nitris DX box and the VTR. Sync signal is confirmed OK at all relevant machines. The green "sync-lock" indicator on the MC capture tool lights green all the time - even when we have a fault. VTR configured in MC using Sony HDW-M2000 50 config. Existing logged clip matches tape perfectly. Any other ideas?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650L 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 256GB RAM (192GB available to OS), NVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Sat, Feb 24 2024 5:33 PM In reply to

Try setting the error logger on the VTR and see if there's any channel conditions on the tape that might stop the capture? Is there enough pre-roll at the beginning of the tape? Can you make a new clip and batch that? i.e. could it be the existing clip that's a problem? Are you able to capture it on the fly rather than batch? Have you ruled out the drives being fast enough to capture your chosen resolution? How are they connected? Bad cable? Dodgy connection to the deck?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 24 2024 6:08 PM In reply to

Hi Adrian,

Just to make sure, the project format and frame rate are the same as the format & frame rate the deck is putting out, right?

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 26 2024 4:01 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 4,180

No erros on VTR. Same problem with other possible clips on the same tape, plus from another tape that has already been sucessfully captured. All connections and network test OK :(

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Feb 26 2024 4:02 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 4,180

Hi Carl - VTR is giving 1080/50l project is the same :)

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Feb 26 2024 4:36 PM In reply to

Have you done the usual?: New user settings? Trash MC State files etc? Fresh project? Roll back a version of MC? Reinstall MC? Reinstall DX?

Andi

• Sat, Mar 9 2024 8:43 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 4,180

Curious capture from VTR problem (solved!)

This was a tough problem to solve - the solution was simple, once I had identified where in the system the problem lay. By running bandwidth tests between both edit workstations and the four mediaservers currently in use - also etsting server to server to eliminate the workstatiion, it was obvious that the problem lay on the main media drives, all of which are large RAID-50 Dell arrays running on PERC 6e or PERC H800 Raid controller cards.

When configuring these RAIDs, one can set the write cache policy - either write through (which only tells the client forwarding the data that all is received and oK once it has been written to the disk) and write-through (which acknowledges receipt as soon as the data is transferred into the RAID controllers RAM).

Obviously the write-through option is most secure. The controller has a backup battery that stores the data in RAM (512MB or 1GB) in the event of a power cut, and transfers it to disk as requested if the power is restored within 72 hours. In Write-back mode, this security is not assured. But that doesn't really matter, as a power cut during acapture session would probably hit the workstation and VTR and it would be obvious that the last clip to be attempted captured must be captured again. So the rtisk of losing data is not worth considering.

I hagve always set my cache write policy on other servers/arrays to write thru. But curiously the arrays in question here, which are my primary arrays for Avid MC work, were set to write through. If I had set them wrong, it was years ago, and they have worked OK in between! Curious. I don't thinik it's a parameter that can set itself, as the setup is stored on the controller and not in windows. I doubt I will ever work out how this problem arose, after they system being powered down for nearly two months.

When using write back mode, the controller can automatically switch to write thru if and when the RAID controlelr memory battery fails or needs recharging. But as I wrote above, this functionality is of little use to my application - and therefore I can choose the "For to write back, even if the battery fails".

Once this problem was resolved and the controllers re-configured, the arrays now appear as happy over the network giving a respectable throughput and lack of latency again.

So the problem was completely outside Avid - although Avid did not help in solving the issue, in fact it led me on a wild goose chase for several days...

The console printouts are peppe4red with -

often several lines at a time - a message which is completely meaningless to me.

Also, aborted clips on my main workstation reported "Exception: Capture aborted due to discontinuity in time code" which led me naturally to investigate the VTR, the test tape, the HDSI connection and the serial connection. All of which subsequently tested OK.

This was a totally misleading error message.

Is the console not capable of reporting something like -

"Exception: Capture aborted due to lack of bandwidth on network connection to storage"

The IT industry has a long history of publishing total meaningless - or misleading error codes.

One could suggest the following -

That Avid publish the real world bandwidth and latency requirements for data transfer to disk - local and networked - for given capture (1 video stream and 8 audio streams) and playback (2 or more video streams and up to 16 audio streams) for each of the file encoding formats available in MC

That Avid develop and release a storage (local and network) benchmarking tool which evaluates the system performance compared to the chosen file format and number of stream - a tool which - if the test passes, MC will also pass.

But for now, back to editing... :)

Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice offered over the past week. :)

Adrian Redmond

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller