Latest post Thu, Feb 8 2024 11:15 AM by Filmlance. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 16 2024 3:20 PM

Matte Key effect causing crashing on 2020.12.8...

We seem to have found a very repeatable and annoying bug and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen it or if it's been fixed in a newer version. 

Behaviour seems to have changed between 2018 and 2020 versions.

Adding a matte key effect on top of nested effects causes a crash of the system when you try to change parameters of a nested clip after the matte key has been applied. This affects only the effect clip directly under the Matte Key, not anything further down the nest.

You can also no longer add additional layers once the matte key effect has been added. You get the error "Avid RT Title and Matte effects are limited to RGB and an alpha track". That's what you used to get when you tried to add tracks within a (classic) title but from what I remember, you were always able to add tracks within a matte key prior to this version? Am I misremembering? Having spoken to another editor, it seems this behaviour does not happen in the same version on PC?

As an example, we currently have a clip where the purpose is to be all black and white except for one orange that we want to stay orange. To set that up there is a base layer of black and white, a colour layer on top of it and then the matte key effect on top of that. Within the mate key effect (in the nest) is a chroma key set to show alpha and then on top of that is a paint effect used to garbage matte out any areas where the chroma key was too messy.

V1 - Black and White
    V2 - Colour
    V3 - Matte Key effect with nested effects

Once you've set this up and finally added the Matte Key to the top layer, if you now step back in to this top layer and try and make a change to the effect directly below the matte key (in my case, a paint effect), Media Composer immediately quits. 

Obviously there's a million ways to do this effect, that's not the point of this post, the point of this post is that when you try to create the effect THIS WAY, you get a repeatable (at least to me and the editor) crash.

My system specs are up to date and the other editor is on a 2013 MacPro trash can, also running Big Sur and 2020.12.8. This seems to be a Mac only bug from chatting with others but I could be wrong.

Our current workaround is to add an additional paint effect in between the matte key and the paint effect that is acting as the garbage matte. That "buffer" paint effect is left as default. Once we have added this additional layer we are now able to step down to the garabge matte layer and add layers, adjust the effect etc, with no crashes. We no longer get the RT Title and Matte pop up.

Anyone seen this? It seems like something that people would do quite often - changing effects under a matte key, so I was surprised that I couldn't find any similar reports when googling? Any thoughts?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 16 2024 4:53 PM In reply to

• isamson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 17 2016
    • Posts 43
    • Points 360
    • ! Avid Employee
      Avid Customer Service

Re: Matte Key effect causing crashing on 2020.12.8...

Hi Andi,

I have created case 04742022 on your behalf and sent it to our Video Editor Support team. The next available resource will contact you to address the issue.

Thank you very much,

Inocencio

We seem to have found a very repeatable and annoying bug and I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen it or if it's been fixed in a newer version. 

Behaviour seems to have changed between 2018 and 2020 versions.

Adding a matte key effect on top of nested effects causes a crash of the system when you try to change parameters of a nested clip after the matte key has been applied. This affects only the effect clip directly under the Matte Key, not anything further down the nest.

You can also no longer add additional layers once the matte key effect has been added. You get the error "Avid RT Title and Matte effects are limited to RGB and an alpha track". That's what you used to get when you tried to add tracks within a (classic) title but from what I remember, you were always able to add tracks within a matte key prior to this version? Am I misremembering? Having spoken to another editor, it seems this behaviour does not happen in the same version on PC?

As an example, we currently have a clip where the purpose is to be all black and white except for one orange that we want to stay orange. To set that up there is a base layer of black and white, a colour layer on top of it and then the matte key effect on top of that. Within the mate key effect (in the nest) is a chroma key set to show alpha and then on top of that is a paint effect used to garbage matte out any areas where the chroma key was too messy.

V1 - Black and White
    V2 - Colour
    V3 - Matte Key effect with nested effects

Once you've set this up and finally added the Matte Key to the top layer, if you now step back in to this top layer and try and make a change to the effect directly below the matte key (in my case, a paint effect), Media Composer immediately quits. 

Obviously there's a million ways to do this effect, that's not the point of this post, the point of this post is that when you try to create the effect THIS WAY, you get a repeatable (at least to me and the editor) crash.

My system specs are up to date and the other editor is on a 2013 MacPro trash can, also running Big Sur and 2020.12.8. This seems to be a Mac only bug from chatting with others but I could be wrong.

Our current workaround is to add an additional paint effect in between the matte key and the paint effect that is acting as the garbage matte. That "buffer" paint effect is left as default. Once we have added this additional layer we are now able to step down to the garabge matte layer and add layers, adjust the effect etc, with no crashes. We no longer get the RT Title and Matte pop up.

Anyone seen this? It seems like something that people would do quite often - changing effects under a matte key, so I was surprised that I couldn't find any similar reports when googling? Any thoughts?

Andi

• Tue, Jan 16 2024 4:59 PM In reply to

• Tue, Jan 16 2024 5:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,887
    • Points 259,680
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Andi for reporting it and Iny for creating the case.

You are in good hands with Philip.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 8 2024 11:15 AM In reply to

• Filmlance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 9 2020
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? We have this on all our MC 2023.12 on MacPro2019 with varios BM (DeckLink, ultrastudio) monitoring solutions. Didn't have it in 2023.8. macOS is monterey 12.7 to 12.7.3.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller