Latest post Fri, Jan 5 2024 2:49 AM by DStone. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 23 2023 8:39 PM

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,522
    • Points 62,595
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: MCA PC

Beatles' Now And Then...

The video has numerous video overlays of old videos over new video. What is your opinion on how it was done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2021.12 Pro Tools 2021... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 24 2023 7:23 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,966
    • Points 50,625
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Beatles' Now And Then...

The music video was shot and directed by Peter Jackson. Yoko Ono provided 2 of the cassettes. Sean Lennon and Olivia Harrison provided unseen home film footage, and Apple provided 14 hours of film from 1995 with Paul, Ringo and George still working on the last song. Pete Best provided the Beatles earliest film in leather suits, which no one else had ever seen. Paul and Ringo provided additional footage as well. Paul had to address some problem spots with the music, but this ended up being removed to make the Now and Then video a little shorter but much better.

Peter worked with a video editor to splice in all of the unseen cuts, as well as photos and clips from previous films and videos. There's also a double shot of Ringo from 1995 and Ringo this year, doing the same drum video. Paul was cut in from 1995 as well as from this year. George and John are also in the video, and they reused all of the voices.

This is a very good song. Quite literally, Now and Then, the final song from the Beatles.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Dec 26 2023 5:01 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,522
    • Points 62,595
    • BlogAuthor

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I meant to ask opinions on how the video editing was done, not the song itself of which I am familiar. Some claim it used AI and CGI but I don't believe it... just very astute video editing and effects using a vast collection of old footage to sort through. AI was used to separate Lennon's voice from the piano and background noises, but not in video editing, fwiw. I don't see any evidence of CGI being used.

Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2021.12 Pro Tools 2021... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 5 2024 2:49 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,966
    • Points 50,625
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The primary editor was Jabez Olssen. He and Peter used a lot of the original footage to splice into the Now and Then video. WētāFX completed the video using some very simple but tricky VFX shots. So there may have been a few CGI shots, but not many of them.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller