Latest post Sat, Dec 23 2023 3:18 PM by Bruno M. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 23 2023 9:11 AM

RED raw workflow avid media composer and grading

Hi everyone!

I know that there is a RED RAW AMA plugin allowing to link R3D files and I was wondering about RED raw workflow and grading in avid Media Composer, is it possible to handle footage from editing to color grading all within Avid Media Composer and have total control on settings like exposure, changing ISO etc... without having to use Resolve? 

I mean, especially for the grading part. Or is Resolve still the option giving the more possibilities in this regard? 

if anybody has experience with this I would be happy to have some feedback 🙏

thank you in advance!

Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Dec 23 2023 3:18 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 13,385

Re: RED raw workflow avid media composer and grading

The biggest problem is the Symphony colour corrector (assuming you have the correct version of MC that includes this option).

By today's standards, Symphony is so basic that it really isn't going to do justice to your work.

If you're desparate to stay in Avid you could purchase the Baselight Editions plugin, which essentially gives you the excellent Baselight grading tools. There's various compromises that inevitably happen when ported to an AVX plugin, but at least you'll have a decent set of tools.

Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and use Resolve. The workflow is pretty well documented and it's something that's done every day of the week somewhere in the world!

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G, Symphony 2018 & 2022, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo ColorEdge... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller