Latest post Tue, Dec 12 2023 1:06 PM by Bruno M. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 11 2023 12:27 PM

• khihi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 2 2023
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

MC launch extremely slow (3-5 mins.)

Hi to all,

I have a weird issue on several notebooks that I maintain. These are all the same:

HP Z-Books with 16GB of RAM and quad-core CPUs, Windows 10 Pro 22H2, latest updates. MC version is 2022.12.1, there is no periphery attached and we use Dongle licensing. I uninstalled a prior version 2018.12.5. on these laptops prior to installing the 2022.12.1.

After MC is launched first time after a reboot, it remains a background process ("Avid Editor") for several minutes. I check this in Windows Task Manager. Only after it sits there for a while, doing nothing resource-wise, it jumps to the "Apps". In that moment the normal initialising sequence resumes, startup picture appears, etc. After startup, working in MC is normal. The background stadium lasts for around 3-5 mins., which adds to the time of the normal boot.

This delay only happens the first time MC launches after a reboot of the machine. I already resetted site settings and created new user settings. There is nothing to read in the Event Log.

This is just very annoying and raises questions, so I'd like to find out! 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Mon, Dec 11 2023 8:25 PM In reply to

Re: MC launch extremely slow (3-5 mins.)

khihi:

Hi to all,

I have a weird issue on several notebooks that I maintain. These are all the same:

HP Z-Books with 16GB of RAM and quad-core CPUs, Windows 10 Pro 22H2, latest updates. MC version is 2022.12.1, there is no periphery attached and we use Dongle licensing. I uninstalled a prior version 2018.12.5. on these laptops prior to installing the 2022.12.1.

After MC is launched first time after a reboot, it remains a background process ("Avid Editor") for several minutes. I check this in Windows Task Manager. Only after it sits there for a while, doing nothing resource-wise, it jumps to the "Apps". In that moment the normal initialising sequence resumes, startup picture appears, etc. After startup, working in MC is normal. The background stadium lasts for around 3-5 mins., which adds to the time of the normal boot.

This delay only happens the first time MC launches after a reboot of the machine. I already resetted site settings and created new user settings. There is nothing to read in the Event Log.

This is just very annoying and raises questions, so I'd like to find out! 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Khihi,

I created a case for you under case number: 04725575

Also, please check out the link below which has the list of the qualified Windows machines for Media Composer.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en422411

Thanks,

Ajay

• Tue, Dec 12 2023 9:08 AM In reply to

• khihi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 2 2023
    • Posts 16
    • Points 210

Hi Ajay,

thanks for that.

While not directly in the official list I find similar/newer gen. models that correspond to mine. So concerning compatibility we don't seem to be far off or these were even included in older versions of the list!?

I should add that the Zbooks sport Quadro M2000Ms and i7 4x 2.7+GHz CPUs. And they ran fine with the formerly installed version 2018.12.5.

So - looking forward the findings of tech support ..

• Tue, Dec 12 2023 1:06 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 13,385

I don't know what model of HP ZBook you have, but having had many versions of these over the years (Studio G3, G5) I've found that my latest purchase (HP Fury G9) is loaded with all sorts of (what I call) bloatware.

I know that HP are trying to secure their laptops against malware but these running processes do nothing to help the performance. 

I have been systematically disabling/removing various processes that are simply unnecessary. 

Now, you may wonder what this has to do with your particular problem. One thing I did notice with the laptop was that on first opening of certain software (Avid, Resolve etc) it would take more than twice as long to start. I managed to trace this down to various security/anti virus software which was simply taking it's time to scan the program and it's associated processes. 

I've used Webroot antivirus for many years as it seemed to have the lightest impact on performance, but I didn't realise that HP was shipped with Wolf security, which was really slowing down my laptop. I've now disabled this and with the other tweaks I've done, things are more back to normal. Webroot still occasionally wants to rescan my software on startup - especially after a full restart of Win 10 or a program update. Given that it compares the local results with an online database, it's not excessively long and something I can live with if I need to be running AV software.

I Don't know if this is your problem, but it's certainly worth investigating. As an example of the things to improve performance, I did the following...

Disabled HP Wolf Security

Installed Autorun Organiser to see what processes are running. There's many that can be disabled, like Browser updater services, All Microsoft Edge stuff and some HP stuff that seems to continuously monitor system services.

Stop Avid's Background services and Avid Link from auto starting at bootup. If you're running with dongles you'll never really need Avid Link except to uodate your dongle support for another year. 

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G, Symphony 2018 & 2022, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo ColorEdge... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller