Latest post Mon, May 20 2024 10:32 AM by Philip Kapadia. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 13 2024 2:30 PM In reply to

• Librarian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 26 2023
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Re: 2023.8 Traditional ScriptSync 20x slower than ScriptSync in 2023.3

Following up on this thread, hope nobody minds. I have a five hour interview to script sync, and pre-ScriptSync AI it finished in about 15 minutes. With the new AI version, it's run for over 2 hours before I finally stopped it. The progress counter started ticking up such that every second of "progress" also ticked over a second of "estimated time remaining", so no progress was being made.

• Fri, Mar 29 2024 9:52 PM In reply to

• Aaron Howell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 16 2015
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 25
    • Points 280

Okay this is the game breaker for me, I was hoping to take advantage of the new tools avid was rolling out but am currently trying to script sync a 4 hour interview and it is saying it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes??  

Ridiculous - it wuold do these in around 5 minutes before the AI technology came out, how is this even possible?  Please make the AI an option we can turn off so we can script sync scripts the old way.

Mac Studio (2022) Apple M1 Ultra 64 GB Ram MacOS Monterey 12.7.4 Avid Media Composer 2024.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 1 2024 2:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,887
    • Points 259,680
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Aaron Howell:

Okay this is the game breaker for me, I was hoping to take advantage of the new tools avid was rolling out but am currently trying to script sync a 4 hour interview and it is saying it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes??  

Ridiculous - it wuold do these in around 5 minutes before the AI technology came out, how is this even possible?  Please make the AI an option we can turn off so we can script sync scripts the old way.

What language are you using with SS AI or is it happening with many?

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 1 2024 9:08 PM In reply to

• Aaron Howell
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 25
    • Points 280

Just using it for English at the moment.  I had done some testing of generating transcripts in other languages - German, Japanese, etc - Germnan was okay, Japanese not so great.

Just doing normal script syncing with an already transcribed interview in U.S. English and it takes sooo long!  I would love to have the old script sync option without the AI.  It is working and it did a pretty good job, but sad that it went so fast in the past.  Now I have to loose an entire edit system for a day if I have multiple transcripts.

Is there a background option where it will script sync in the background so I can continue using my system?

Mac Studio (2022) Apple M1 Ultra 64 GB Ram MacOS Monterey 12.7.4 Avid Media Composer 2024.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2024 3:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,887
    • Points 259,680
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Aaron

Thanks so much for the clarity.  I'll add this to the case notes to make sure it is checked....

Thanks so much and Im adding myself to the case so I can ensure your issue gets addressed.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2024 5:35 PM In reply to

• Aaron Howell
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 25
    • Points 280

Hey so Avid sent me this answer -hoping  you all get it native to Apple Silicon and get the GPU running, that would be really helpful ...

""

So the ScriptSync AI engine is slower than before on M1 systems because it's supposed to be GPU accelerated - 
    Mac systems don't support the GPU architecture we use in the AI engine so ends up being processed on just the CPU.
    On a windows system with a Nvidia graphics card this process takes much less time. In addition, Media Composer runs
    through Rosetta so is not fully native with M1. ScriptSync AI speeds will improve once we move away from Rosetta and into
    native hopefully later on this year. For the time being though, I'd like to understand if the performance is egregious."

• Mon, May 20 2024 4:05 AM In reply to

• VeronicaB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 15 2021
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

My team and I also pretty much can't use ScriptSync AI on our project and are having to mark up every script manually - which takes so long and makes ScriptSync almost useless.

It's ridiculous that Avid would add this new version of the software, and completely remove the old version that we know and love. My editor requires every scene to be script synced, and it's taking us assistants most of our time every day to manually add every script mark.

I'm about to start on a new project, with an editor who also requires script sync and I've told her it pretty much doesn't work - wishing there was something that could be done within the next few weeks so that we could have a function system in place and my time isn't spent most days adding manual script marks!

• Mon, May 20 2024 10:32 AM In reply to

VeronicaB:

My team and I also pretty much can't use ScriptSync AI on our project and are having to mark up every script manually - which takes so long and makes ScriptSync almost useless.

It's ridiculous that Avid would add this new version of the software, and completely remove the old version that we know and love. My editor requires every scene to be script synced, and it's taking us assistants most of our time every day to manually add every script mark.

I'm about to start on a new project, with an editor who also requires script sync and I've told her it pretty much doesn't work - wishing there was something that could be done within the next few weeks so that we could have a function system in place and my time isn't spent most days adding manual script marks!

Hello Veronica, I totally understand the frustration. 

This is being constantly worked on, and as I say, once we get a native build of MC for Mac M chips, this performance should improve dramatically. 

For the time being, your workarounds are either to stay on an older version of Media Composer on Mac with the old version, or use a Windows system with a Nvidia graphics card to create these transcripts with the AI engine. 

The move to the new Whisper AI engine facilitates these new features, like creating a script from a clip. We had to remove the Nexidia engine from our download centre because of licensing. 

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller