Latest post Tue, Oct 3 2023 2:39 AM by TMVC. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 27 2023 8:59 AM

• TMVC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Singapore
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,410

Mac or PC for Avid

Hi, 

We've been running Avid MC mostly on Macs (Intel / 32-bit) for the past few years and are now trying to decide if we should go with M2 macs or Windows.   We have only 1 windows machine running Avid on Windows .

Main concern is being able to playback and online 4K streams.

We understand that upgrading our MC to the latest Mac versions will basically force us to lose access to our entire suite of plugins, but trying to understand if Windows is more flexible in that regard, apart from upgrading.

Our windows specs:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i7-7820X @3.60 Ghz
    32 GB RAM
    64-bit OS

Avid MC version 2020.12.2.55399

All our machines run well, but need more speed.  

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts!

• Wed, Sep 27 2023 6:43 PM In reply to

Re: Mac or PC for Avid

A quick impression is the latest MC runs better without near as many issues if using Windows.

Having used both, I have a strong preference for the Windows OS.

Good luck.

I9-NVidia3060-160ram-WIN11PRO-MC23.12-NewBlueFX-Photoshop-Shutter Encoder-Boris Continuum 12.5-VLC Player [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 28 2023 3:44 AM In reply to

• TMVC
    • Not Ranked
    • Singapore
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,410

Thanks Robert.  We started on Windows over 20 years ago...

• Sat, Sep 30 2023 9:14 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,066
    • Points 13,550

There certainly are issues with the new M based Macs as far as Media Composer is concerned.

Avid are yet to release a native version for these ARM-based CPUs. MC is currently still working under Rosetta's translation process - almost three years since the first M1 Macs appeared!

There's also ongoing problems with external Blackmagic hardware causing freezes/crashing to the extent that many editors find their setups unusable.

Whilst all this is happening, Apple announce their new Sonoma OS, which is bound to cause further compatibility issues.

I'm sure these issues will eventually be sorted out, but it's a difficult time for anyone running MC under Mac.

I'm PC for personal use but where I teach they run an all Mac setup. However, because of these ongoing issues we're still running Intel iMacs with MC 2018.12.15

I would say, if you're not one of those people who hates the way Windows 10/11 work, then go with a PC. You'll have few problems and be able to keep using the classic Title Tool, Quicktime (32 bit) libraries and Avid Dongle licences - all of which have gone with the new Macs.

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G/4K, Symphony 2018 & 2023, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 30 2023 2:45 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,181
    • Points 50,460

Bruno M:

I would say, if you're not one of those people who hates the way Windows 10/11 work, then go with a PC. You'll have few problems and be able to keep using the classic Title Tool, Quicktime (32 bit) libraries and Avid Dongle licences - all of which have gone with the new Macs.

That quote says a whole lot about the situation currently. 

I would add that when choosing a computer for media work today, one should try to find hardware that can support Avid, PremierePro (and After Effects) as well as Resolve.  This is hard to do on a budget since they all have specific needs.  But I think that having all of those tools allows one to handle pretty much any project thrown at you.  I use them all regularly (though Avid less and less). Of course, not everyone works this way.  But it is a hedge against the future.

I bought the last generation of Intel iMac so that I could run Bootcamp / Windows 10.  While not perfect, it works.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2023.3.1 iMac w Big Sur and 2018.12.7 on Windows 10 Boot Camp [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Oct 3 2023 2:39 AM In reply to

• TMVC
    • Not Ranked
    • Singapore
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,410

Thanks.  Our thoughts are the same.  Not too happy that Avid has also removed all the old builds of MC and are forcing people to upgrade.  Not looking very promising when more urgent issues need to be tackled.  

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller