Latest post Thu, Oct 19 2023 5:49 PM by Ondrej Azor. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 16 2023 9:39 PM

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 21 2011
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

MC stuttering on Acer Predator X34 monitor (G-sync) and RTX 3080

I tried to search for similar problem, but haven't found anyone experiencing/reporting... I use MC on verious systems, both "qualified" workstations, laptops and custom PCs. On one particular PC I am struggling with the stuttering playback. No color indication on the timeline though. System plays back the video fine, but every few seconds the video briefly "locks" and then jumps few frames ahead to get back in sync. Using NVidia RTX3080 gfx card with certified driver for MC2023.3 (Ryzen 5900X PCU, 64GB RAM), no HW IO. I was suspecting the G-sync might be the cause, but disabling in does nothing to the problem. Lowering the playback quality results in less frequent jumps/less stuttering, but doesn't solve it completely. Tried to set various settings in NVidia drivers for Media Composer specificially, but no luck. This is puzzling me, since this system has plenty of power (both CPU and GFX), lots of RAM and yet it still struggles for some reason even with simple single HD stream with no effects. On all other 7-8 systems (old, new, PCs, laptops) everything plays smoothly. Any idea what may be the cause? Do any of you encountered such behaviour? Any suggestion/help appreciated. Thank you.

MC2023.3 on various HW. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 17 2023 12:52 AM In reply to

Re: MC stuttering on Acer Predator X34 monitor (G-sync) and RTX 3080

HD or 4K Linked or Imported media?  

I have unexpected issues playing back some 4k material even though the system has plenty of power (I9 64 ram 12G RTX3060 NVME drives 2023.3). 

It did seem as though the timeline PB should have been better.

Transcoding always cleared it up.  Rendering effects was also necessary sometimes, even though they were green dot.

So, yes, I found this puzzling.

I9-NVidia3060-160ram-WIN11PRO-MC23.12-NewBlueFX-Photoshop-Shutter Encoder-Boris Continuum 12.5-VLC Player [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 17 2023 7:35 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,065
    • Points 13,535

It may be that there's some process running that is sporadically using up a lot of the resources of your system.

I would open up Task Manager (Cntrl+Shift+Esc) to have a look at what's going on.

In the Processes tab, you can click on the CPU column (with the down chevron showing) and this will list all apps and processes showing the percentage of CPU in decending order.

Anything that starts to consume resources will be flagged with a variable colour orange in the Power Usage column

The Performance tab will give you various graphs over time.

I would also look in the Startup tab and see what's loading at startup. Programs have a habit of installing various 'helpers' which scan for updates etc. 

If you want a program that will help to keep these things in check, I would advise Autorun Organiser. It's a free program that runs in the background (yes, another process!) but it keeps a check on what's loaded and alerts you when something new is added, giving you the chance to disable it.

I'm always surprised by what get's installed without any input from you. Often, when browsers update, they add these auto update proceeses.

An example of the sorts of things I've disabled...

Avid Background services and Avid Link, Google installer updates, Foxit reader updates, HP warrenty checker, Microsoft Edge, Bing popup etc.

With nothing running, my CPU usage remains pretty steady at a few percent.

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G/4K, Symphony 2018 & 2023, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 17 2023 6:40 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

Hello Robert,

all material on the timeline is "native"  DNxHD, simple timeline playback with no effects (other than color adapters for Alexa LogC footage)...

• Thu, Aug 17 2023 6:44 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

Hi Bruno, thanks for the input. The issue lies not in a resources (either CPU/GPU), I was closely monitoring it during the playback. I work in IT for more than 20 years, both HW and SW/admin side, so I keep pretty sharp eye on what's going on on these systems/computers. It doesn't even report skipped frames (which usually is triggered when CPU/GPU is not able to keep up) in timeline. The system behaves and reports exactly as if everything is fine, except that the actual playback is choppy :(

• Fri, Aug 18 2023 8:54 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,065
    • Points 13,535

I don't think you mentioned what type of storage you're using or how it's connected.

If you're using external storage, have you tried changing to the internal (boot) drive?

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G/4K, Symphony 2018 & 2023, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 18 2023 5:56 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

It affects both external and internal drives (HDD, SSD SATA/NVme).

• Fri, Aug 18 2023 8:32 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 309
    • Points 3,860

Do you have the latest Ryzen drivers installed? I have read about numerous performance and latency issues with Ryzen processers and Windows over the past year. Suggest checking AMD's website to ensure you up to date on their system drivers.

HP z240, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, HP Z2 mini G4, Z2 mini G5, Dell Precision 3430 and 7810, Apple iMac 27-Inch (2019). All are 32GB-64GB of RAM. nVidia... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 19 2023 9:58 AM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

All drivers are up to date on all systems. Perhaps I will try to reinstall the OS and all apps. I was trying to avoid that because of heavy tweaking of apps, but it seems that's the only way to (hopefuly) solve the issue.

• Sat, Aug 19 2023 10:36 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,065
    • Points 13,535

Might be easier just to replace the boot drive with a new, small-ish NVME drive and re-load the OS.

That way, if you find that the problem still exists, it must be a hardware issue and you can replace the old drive.

• Tue, Aug 22 2023 9:20 AM In reply to

Does the media which stutters on the timeline, stutter when played back in the source window?  Also, does the playback head stutter or is it just the overlay and audio that exhibit the symptoms?

MC/SN 2019,2023.3 x 20 Z4,Z400/420/440/800/820 PC's on W7/10/11 x64. 3 x Mac, 4 x PT 2023.3 HDX, 3 x S6 , X-MON, all on PCs. NEXIS E4 & ISIS 5000... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 22 2023 3:25 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

Hmm, interesting question and point! I will try to check the difference. 

ShadenFreude:

Does the media which stutters on the timeline, stutter when played back in the source window?  Also, does the playback head stutter or is it just the overlay and audio that exhibit the symptoms?

• Thu, Oct 19 2023 5:49 PM In reply to

• Ondrej Azor
    • Not Ranked
    • Slovenská republika
    • Posts 65
    • Points 775

At the end it seems the error was on the OS side. Still don't know what caused it, but after 2 reinstalls on the same HW, OS and Avid version, the problem went away. I have no idea what caused it :(

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller