Latest post Thu, Jun 8 2023 11:35 AM by Miguel. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 2 2023 8:27 PM

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 1 2012
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,310

Custom 4K format

Hello!

I'm beginning to work on a new project. The intended output format will be close to Univision - 2:1 aspect ratio, maybe a 4000x2000 raster - a first for me. All the footage is shot in DCI 4K @ 24 fps. 

What would be the best raster dimension fo edit this project?

1. - a custom 4000 x 2000 and resize all the footage
    2. - 4K DCI and export to 4000 x 2000 with centre crop
    3. - something else…

Thank you, in advance!
    Mac Studio M1 Max 10 core CPU 32 core GPU 64 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

Media Composer editor, since 1997.

• Fri, Jun 2 2023 8:41 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,508
    • Points 18,820

Re: Custom 4K format

My first choice would be to use Avid's internal industry standard 4K DCI settings that match your source raster with a 2:1 mask margin added.

But any of the methods you mentioned will work.

i9 12th generation, GeForce 3070, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 3 2023 6:12 PM In reply to

Agreed, and be aware that depending on your I/O, you also may have issues with monitoring if your choose to use something non-standard.

AVID is pretty terrific in non-destructively switching up timeline formats at the final render/output stage (especially and more so if you use Frameflex and linked media), so editing in HD or UHD and just changing the raster for final render/delivery should also be in your possible workflow options -- that's what I'd do for offline, personally, then just duplicate your final timeline, switch it to your delivery format, re-render, and go.

Just be aware that if you DID transcode to a smaller size, you are limited. I always worked linked myself, but you could also switch to linked files for the final.

j

Custom, i9-13900K, AMD 6900XT, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 10gige to TB, BM SDI 4k (BMDTV 12.8), Mac OS 14.4. MC 2024.2 [email protected] [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 7 2023 2:21 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,310

Thanks! That's what I thought.

Mac Studio M1 Max 10 core CPU 32 core GPU 64 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

Miguel

• Wed, Jun 7 2023 2:23 PM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,310

Jason Sedmak:
    editing in HD or UHD and just changing the raster for final render/delivery should also be in your possible workflow options -- that's what I'd do for offline, personally, then just duplicate your final timeline, switch it to your deliv

How exactly does this work?

Miguel

• Wed, Jun 7 2023 3:43 PM In reply to

If you are editing, say with 4k offline material in an HD timeline, a Frame-flex effect is automatically applied. If you repo or resize using FF in this edit, then change your project format from HD to 4k, FF will non-destructively 'scale' all resampling (re-utilizing the available extra raster) w/o you losing what you did, thus automatically you'll have 4k edit for master. It does this b/c you technically had all that extra image raster in the first place.

There are caveats, of course, such as training yourself not to use the resize effect because it is destructive in the sense that it's doing it's transformations AFTER resampling is done in the timeline, so it's best to avoid that effect when you can, or be aware what you're doing. In my workflows, I exclusively link to footage, but frequently I'll transcode (in Resolve) to a less taxing format (such as ProRes LT) but KEEP the file's original raster. This way, I'll not only have access to the greater resolution (even 'tho it's more compressed) but also automatically get FF effects on each clip, so that when I go back to highrez for master, it's all the more seemless. If you DO transcode in AVID, make sure you don't scale it down but use original raster. You need a pretty robust system for this, of course.

Conversely, if you've already edited using HD dailies in an HD timeline with sources that were originally larger, you won't have FF effects automatically applied, THUS, when you conform original raster to a higher raster timeline, AVID WILL just apply your edits to this new higher raster footage (and sometime employ FF if camera originals STILL don't match) but if you used raster effects (like Resize), know that they will now be applied AFTER the raster. IOW; say you have 6k material, you've edited in HD with HD dailies and unfortunately applied Resize effects, when you change your project to 4k and relinked to the higherrez files, your timeline will now be 4k, but your Resize effects will destructively scale based on 4k, instead of the 6k you were thinking you had.

Make sense?

j

Custom, i9-13900K, AMD 6900XT, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 10gige to TB, BM SDI 4k (BMDTV 12.8), Mac OS 14.4. MC 2024.2 [email protected] [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 8 2023 11:35 AM In reply to

• Miguel
    • Not Ranked
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,310

Jason Sedmak:
    not to use the resize effect because it is destructive in the sense that it's doing it's transformations AFTER resampling is done in the timeline, so it's best to avoid that effect when you can, or be aware what you're doing. In my workflows, I exclusively link to footage, but frequently I'll transcode (in Resolve) to a less taxing format (such as ProRes LT) but KEEP the file's original raster.

This is a great tip!

I always wondered if I could, or should use FF for image scaling, instead of Resize.

Thanks!

Miguel

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller