Latest post Wed, Oct 4 2023 2:13 AM by Job ter Burg. 38 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 19 2023 8:54 PM In reply to

• ajcatoline
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 485

Re: Why is keeping perpetual license up to date twice as expensive?

Question to the mind hive -- My Media Composer perpetual license expires end of year. I want to be sure that if I end my standard support contract my perpetual license will forever "freeze" at the current 2023 version? Which is 2023.8 currently. IF Avid released another version before year's end then i would freeze at that version? 

I saw the renewal is $540 annual so I am starting to think to switch to subscription. I'm an individual so I don't really need shared bins. Though that is a nice feature if I ever needed to add my machine to a shared project space. Thanks for advice and clarity. 

MacBook Pro 2.4ghz 8-core Intel (2021) Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 (Ivy Bridge) Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K Avid MC perpetual 2023... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 19 2023 9:05 PM In reply to

I cancelled my perpetual license at 2022.10 and it remains working at the version.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 20 2023 9:05 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    Isn't there any room for discussion in this forum by Avid representatives other then a marketing driven 'all is well or going to be fine' position?

To answer my own question: NO. As 4 months have past since my last post.

It saddens me to say that even one of the Avid customer advocates who, by definition of his title, should have the role of defending customer interest, is just participating in what I perceive as one sided sales, marketing and legal department driven communication.

[:'(]

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Wed, Sep 20 2023 7:53 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,896
    • Points 259,770
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

ajcatoline:

Question to the mind hive -- My Media Composer perpetual license expires end of year. I want to be sure that if I end my standard support contract my perpetual license will forever "freeze" at the current 2023 version? Which is 2023.8 currently. IF Avid released another version before year's end then i would freeze at that version? 

I saw the renewal is $540 annual so I am starting to think to switch to subscription. I'm an individual so I don't really need shared bins. Though that is a nice feature if I ever needed to add my machine to a shared project space. Thanks for advice and clarity. 

AJ

Correct in that the release available at the time of the " expiration" would be the last version you could use unless you renewed.  Shared bins are in Ultimate as are SS, PF, Symphony and a few other goodies.  If you dont need to connect to a shared project then stick with MC.  

xo

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 30 2023 1:41 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 600
    • Points 8,165

Chris Bové:

This is correct. There are more features in the standard pereptuals, and you're only able to currently unlock some of those specific features either in subscriptions of Media Composer Ultimate (roughly $50 per month) and Enterprise (roughly $100 per month).   

Plus, it's not that subscriptions are at a baseline price and perpetiuals are more expensive... but the opposite... that perpetuals are at the baseline price, and subscriptions are cheaper.

Meaning, subscriptions are easier for Avid to develop and maintain, as well as easier for the engineers to maintain as bug-free of an upgrade path as possible.  When you're talking about a room full of engineers working on Media Composer's development, everything about creating and maintaining the app for perpetuals costs more in actual costs as well as increased cognitive load. So, since standard subscriptions cost less for Avid to create and maintain than standard perpetuals, we're able to push that savings onto the costs for customers. 

As a former software engineer / architect who has lead multiple software teams developing complex software I can say definitively that the above is BULL-PUCKY!!!  If it is objectively true within Avid, then ALL your software development managers should be fired because they do not know how to structure and manage the development team.

1. You admit the code base for any/all license types is the same.  Even your activation functions are the same code that seek and "activate" different functions based on subscription choices.  So, THAT is an ADDED EXPENSE OF SUBSCRIPTION DEVELOPMENT, NOT OF PERPETUAL LICENSE VERSION DEVELOPMENT!
    2. I never saw, until this thread, that there was a functional difference between subs vs perp licenses.  No, I never read the two license agreements side-by-side, but neither did I ever see, in any marketing attempts to get me to convert that I would LOSE functionality by subscribing; note once, not ever! But that STILL DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE SOFTWARE RECEIVED UNDER ONE LICENSE OR THE OTHER HAS A DIFFERENT CODE BASE!  Or at least, if Avid knows the first thing about software development, there shouldn't be.
    3. The same applies for MAINTENANCE! The same bugs, updates and enhancements must be addressed, regardlless of license type.
    4. Perpetual license holders with support "subscriptions" are no more a burden on support than subscription users.  So costdifferences of maintaining one "user type" vs the other is $0!
    5. The administrative costs of managing subscriptions vs perpetual + support contract is - or should be if Avid actually knows how to manage a business properly - no different.

So, the only reason for the disparity in perpetual lic support contract and subscription software is GREED, pure and simple.  The subscription model for software that allows one to create one's "owned" or rights-retained product is, IMHO, RANSOMWARE. Pay or you will no longer have access to or be able to fully exploit YOUR OWN PRODUCTS. 

And NO ONE I have spoken to who has creative product they exploit commercially, receive monetary compensation for or simply produce for the joy of it as a hobby or donation of time-efffort to a charity prefer subscription products. 

That is why I am just one of many who have ditched Adobe for photography (On1 Photo RAW for me) and are ditching Avid  for video (Lightworks for me) since some companies understand that subscriptions just don't work for everyone, and they REALLY don't have the hubris to think they have the market dominance to be able to jam subscriptions down "addicted" users throats.  Are these companies that are committed to offering BOTH licensing modes without abusing one preference over the other SMARTER THAN AVID when it comes to managing software development and licensing, OR JUST MORE CUSTOMER ORIENTTED THAN AVID?

Again, your whole argument is pure BS, and like the king with no clothes, you may really want to sell it, but no one with an ounce of common sense will buy it.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Tue, Oct 3 2023 12:40 AM In reply to

• mcbaldwin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 17 2017
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

I'd say it's because they make more money from subscriptions. It's kind of the "tenant farming" philosophy. You'll never own your tools.

• Tue, Oct 3 2023 12:51 AM In reply to

• mcbaldwin
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Agree. It's a kick in the nads. I've used AVID for a few decades, and it's my favorite (the most intuitive and tactile), but the subscription model seems predatory. Trying out Resolve. Also, remember one of the chief reasons the film biz moved to Hollywood?

• Tue, Oct 3 2023 1:03 AM In reply to

• mcbaldwin
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

I love the "it allows us to develop the product" argument. Back in the day, they came out with new versions all the time. Anyone with a brain stayed with 6.5 for about a decade 'til they came up with something better. Come up with a version that's demonstrably better and I'll buy it. That's how it works in a real market. Now, they're motivated to create new features of little or no value to make it appear that the product is improving.

• Wed, Oct 4 2023 2:13 AM In reply to

mcbaldwin:

Also, remember one of the chief reasons the film biz moved to Hollywood?

Consistent sunlight?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller