Latest post Wed, Dec 7 2022 9:09 AM by Mercer. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 4 2022 8:29 PM

• tobor-bmg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 77
    • Points 985

Dell Workstation 7770 and Dell Dock WD19DCS

I'm about to buy a new workstation.

I was wondering if anyone uses the Dell Performance Dock model WD19DCS with Media Composer?

Any issues? 

Thanks in advance.

Primary System: Windows 10 64-bit w/all the updates. Avid Media Composer 2020.6. HP fully functioning machine. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 7 2022 12:40 AM In reply to

• tobor-bmg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 77
    • Points 985

Re: Dell Workstation 7770 and Dell Dock WD19DCS

Well, I'll add more to my question. I bought a Dell 7770 i9 monster. Should be here soon.

I researched the docking stations and bought the Dell WD22TB4.

Will advise once it is set up.

Primary System: Windows 10 64-bit w/all the updates. Avid Media Composer 2020.6. HP fully functioning machine. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 7 2022 9:09 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 873
    • Points 11,290

Re: Dell Workstation 7770 and Dell Dock WD19DCS

I don't know about the Dell but I've been happily using a HP ZBook 17 G5 with a Thunderbolt G2 docking station for some time. I moved a while ago to workstation laptops from desktops, because of my case use. The Zbook has been upgraded to a 16GB Quadro 5200 and now 128GB ram and I have found it powerful enough for all my use in Avid and Resolve Studio so far. When it drops off the certified list, I will be getting another, probably another Zbook but I will be looking at Dell too. My only experience with Lenovo has put me off them.

I recently bought the Thunderbolt G4 docking station because it has more power for the upgraded Zbook (280w vs 230w), more connections including HDMI and Thunderbolt 4 in readiness. If you use these workstaion laptops in a desktop replacement way then I feel a docking station is essential.

The other thing about workstation laptops is their very rugged build quality, enterprise control over bios and onsite business warranty. I think you should be very pleased and surprised by it's performance. 17" offerings are good too since they have a lot of space - I have no less than 3 NVME fast SSDs in my system, 2 of which (2TB each) I use for online finishing offload. i9 or powerful i7 procs are preferable too, to Xeons because they generally perform as good if not better and you are not restricted to EEC memory, which means you can go all the way currently to 128GB.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller