Latest post Sun, Oct 30 2022 11:04 PM by InVisionBris. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 30 2022 1:06 AM

• dlogneb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,440

v2022 settings paradigm

I've downloaded 2022.10 and am starting the process of recreating my settings and I confess I want to ask once again: Why was the Project panel "demoted" in v2022 and the "host panels" brought in?

When I create a new project it defaults to a bin container, if I press command-= to get to my settings it opens "bin settings".  So there is no clear way when I create a new project to see whose settings I'm using, to easily switch settings, or to open my settings file.  The only surefire way to find my settings is to open the project panel and then press the key for settings or select settings from the menu.

To be clear, I really do like the fact that the settings shortcut opens the appropriate settings panel – if I'm in a bin I get bin settings, timeline I get timeline settings.  This is a really good decision!   But, once I'm in my bin settings using that method, for example, there is no way to go to my user settings.  So although I like it, it is still very confusing.  Especially, I'm imaginng, if you're new to Avid.

So why was the Project Panel demoted?  It made so much sense.  It was the first window/container to be created in any project, it prominently dispalyed what user settings were being used and what the resolution and frame-rate of the project was.  Now it is a glorified side bar. 

Also now because it has been demoted, closing the "host panel" means quitting Avid.  Whaat???  And then I have to go to a menu to close my project.  Why is that?   It is completely the inverse of every Mac application I've ever used.

It really feels like Avid has completely given up on MacOS and is no longer following the OS workflow.  This is also why (I think) the windows in Avid do not behave correctly.

Can someone at Avid comment on this?  Has Avid decided to give up on the MacOS window paradigm?  Put simply, the Mac OS paradigm means I can have an application open without any windows open and generally the only way to quit it is to use the menu.   Logically following from that, users close projects or documents by closing a window –– but that won't quit the application.

Sorry if I seem like I'm a little fixated, but since Avid made a conscious decision to go against the paradigm I'm curious as to the reasons.  It feels like maybe Avid designers don't quite understand how differently their software interacts with MacOS compared to v2018.  

I have actually been pretty happy with the overall performance and new features of Avid 2022, but this split from the OS makes Avid feel like a chore in terms of interacting with the OS or other apps.  The window/app paradigm has been bascially unchanged for almost 30 years in MacOS, and nearly as long for Avid.  So why the change?  

Avid MC 2022.10 & 2022.7 Mac Os Monterey (12.6.1 & 12.3.1) MacStudio Apple M1 Ultra 128GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 30 2022 9:55 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 874
    • Points 11,240

Re: v2022 settings paradigm

It's ironic, that the only way I can happily work with the new interfce is to replicate the old one as closely as possible, i.e. all floating bins. Even then you can't resize them automatically as you could with 2018 and before - you have to drag them to size. But if you save your settings to site settings you shouldn't have to re-create them for each new project. In practise it is advisable to create new settings for each new version and now I am in the habit of calling each new version's settings, after the current Avid version, i.e 2022.10 etc. But for the last few versions, I have been successfully able to just update them, without major issue.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 30 2022 11:51 AM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,440

I may just try to update my settings.  The issues is when I inevitably report a bug the first thing the person at Avid will say is "did you make new settings?"

Avid MC 2022.10 & 2022.7 Mac Os Monterey (12.6.1 & 12.3.1) MacStudio Apple M1 Ultra 128GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 30 2022 12:21 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,770

Doesn't [Shift]+[Cmd]+[=] override the context-sensivity of [Cmd]+[=]?

Can't test it just now. But I think that's what I usually do. Obviously without thinking too much about it. xD

• Sun, Oct 30 2022 12:40 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,440

It does.  Thanks!

Still weird to be "stuck" in whatever settings you open with command-=.

But my question still stands (at least for me) – why create a mysterious host panel with no project information where once there was a very clear "project panel".  Is this something people are asking for?  Did users complain that the project-panel being the "key" window was confusing?  For me it all feels very unfocused now.  

• Sun, Oct 30 2022 11:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for posting this, I would like to know "why" as well, as it's never made sense to me either. Other editors I know feel the same but just put up with the issues. 

One editor I know suggested Avid create a "Classic" mode that lets you create a 2018 interface...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller