Latest post Tue, Apr 4 2023 10:38 PM by Robert Martindale. 38 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 29 2023 5:20 AM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,280

Re: How to Resize an AniMatte shot without Resizing Layer Below...

ripvanmarlowe:

Just seen the 2023.3 release notes. Months since the last major update and the best we get is an update to the creation date column. Embarrassing.

Yeah, just seen me too...

You missed:

- Right-Click to Add a Folder Within a Folder

Avid Media Composer 2024.2 Perpetual|Symphony Option|Dongle PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 29 2023 8:43 AM In reply to

QMax:

- Right-Click to Add a Folder Within a Folder

That's going to be handy, indeed.

Along those lines, I'd love it if we could right-click to contain displaying the Project Bin "Flat View" to those bins within a Folder and any sub-folders within it, rather than only globally, every single bin, in the entire project.

And have a highly visible (bold font or ??) to indicate within the Project tool that a bin is currently tabbed in a particular Bin Container... with an option to retrieve that bin back into Project tool, un-bolded, etc. (to selectively "clean-up" over-tabbed Bin Containers.

-Telegram!

• Wed, Mar 29 2023 11:07 AM In reply to

Robert Martindale:
    perhaps u mistook this for a "complain and moan" thread

This is the Avid forum. a place where I come to complain and moan. If I can't complain and moan here, there is nowhere I can complain and moan. I've added a constructive answer to this thread already. Now I'm complaining and moaning. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 30 2023 1:32 AM In reply to

nowhere to complain?  are there no barbershops nearby?...barbers seem willing to listen...

I9-NVidia3060-160ram-WIN11PRO-MC24.6-NewBlueFX-Photoshop-Shutter Encoder-Boris Continuum 12.5-VLC Player [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 30 2023 5:50 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 653
    • Points 8,270

Personally there is no reason why I customer shouldn't complain about the current state of Media Composer. No improvements to animatte (reason for this post), no improvements for tracking, no improvements for color correction, and of course the issue with the new title tool. Avid is recently making MC able to work more cohesive with Pro Tools which is great even if a late implementation. At the same time other NLEs have improved and updated in all these areas. One that was soley a color correction tool is becoming an all around solid editor. Why round trip now when everything can be done in resolve?

I don't think people have an issue with Media Composer they just want to see it improve in the areas that have a greater impact on the editing process. Do we really need a right click for folder in folder? Avid still doesn't have a native blend fx. Just my opinion.

• Thu, Mar 30 2023 6:20 PM In reply to

Robert Martindale:

nowhere to complain?  are there no barbershops nearby?...barbers seem willing to listen...

Not everyone is blessed with a lush full head of hair! I haven't been in a barbers shop in 20 years! So until science figures out a way to give me back my youth, I shall continue to complain here. Dew is right, I want the best for Avid, my livelyhood is strapped to them, and when you are strapped to something, the last thing you want them to do is jump off a cliff. 

Enough of these miniscule configuration changes - let's be honest, Premiere editors aren't exactly flocking to MC, no need to waste time making these keyboard layouts or whatever it is, give us some proper, big ticket upgrades that make me want to start paying for MC again. MC is floundering, treading water at best, even something like native M1, M2 etc support won't address the fact that our tools are outdated. A really snappy and responsive paint tool on an M2 Macbook Pro is still just a really snappy and responsive rubbish paint tool. But like I say, I don't believe Avid actually has the resources to implement anything other than adding folders inside folders and snapping thumbnails to grids. I think that will be the limit of our future upgrades. I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong, but the last five years have only disappointed.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 31 2023 3:25 PM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,280

Robert Martindale:
    ....perhaps u mistook this for a "complain and moan" thread....

I personally believe there is no better place than this forum to voice my complain about the continuing decline of Media Composer.
    The very fact that we are still here asking for improvements clearly means that for some strange reason we are all tied to this NLE.
    In recent years I have witnessed a slow migration to other NLE software in the office.
    If up to 4 years ago there were 10 Avid workstations in operation, today there are only 2 left, the others have been transformed into Adobe and Blackmagic rooms.
    We started with AMC, supported by BorisFX Continuum (free for Adrenaline buyers), AvidFX, Sorenson Squeeze etc etc.
    All tools extinct and never replaced, only AMC remained, a basic editing system which I think is now obsolete, all the rest has been delegated to other developers, consistently increasing the overall cost for each individual workstation, making AMC a uninteresting product for those who decide what to invest their money in.
    In my opinion Avid should develop the basic features internally, which in 2023 are no longer the same as in 2000, without relying on external producers for everything.
    It is not possible nowadays to have to depend on the choices of a camera manufacturer, to be able to upload the material to AMC without first performing an external transcode (Sony 4K XAVC).
    To all this I would add the lack of real updates, as Dew wrote, for the masks, tracker (stabilization not only for X and Y but also Z), Symphony, Titler+ (a joke), native blending options, support for XML format, OpenFX support, image and clips export with alpha...
    As if that weren't enough, there has also been an increase in the cost of renewing the Perpetual licenses, which are now more expensive than a subscription, a real kick in the ass for long-standing customers who, like me, paid about 2500US$ for this software with dongle, dongle (500US$) which now no longer works except forcing macOS (at least on Monterey 12.6.4/Intel) to load the kext, which is certainly not within everyone's reach, but which does not work completely on Apple Silicon, because the Avid team is not able to write a driver compatible with the new security specifications announced by Apple I think almost 5 years ago, or to replace the dongles as others have done.
    Also on macOS we lost the good old Title Tool with the transition to 64-bit macOS.
    What I think of Titler+ I wrote just above. Title Tool but still works on Windows 64 bit.

My personal license for AMC Perpetual will be valid until the end of the year, after which I really believe that if things don't change, I won't renew it, continuing to use the software without having more updates. In the worst case it won't be possible for me to create a new folder inside a folder which is in turn inside another folder with a simple CTRL-Right click.

Despite what I have written and which I strongly believe in, I hope that Avid will read this forum and give some sign of life.

I would like to apologize in closing if I messed up my posts from two different users, Max and QMax. I didn't realized that in the office the auto login has other credentials than my personal account.

Max

Avid Media Composer 2024.2 Perpetual|Symphony Option|Dongle PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 4 2023 6:57 AM In reply to

Bringing this post back to the question of Keys and AniMattes...I created a little cookbook for two scenarios, Trim to Fill for Matte Keys and Resizing Animatte cutouts or graphic nests and not affecting the tracks below...these tips do take information from other posters and hopefully this will help others in the future....comments welcome, of course.

MATTE KEY TIPS 

FIT TO FILL FOR MATTE KEYS

1. SET IN AND OUT POINTS FOR SEQUENCE ON DESIRED TRACK.  SET IN AND OUT POINTS FOR SOURCE CLIP.  SET MARKER AT SEQ OUT POINT AND CLEAR OUT POINT.

2. DRAG SOURCE CLIP TO TRACK ABOVE TRACK WITH IN POINT. SNAP TO THE IN POINT. REDO SEQ OUT POINT AT MARKER.

3. DOUBLE CLICK (OR ALT+STEP IN) TO EXPAND MATTE KEY

4. APPLY "TRIM TO FILL" EFFECT TO BOTH LAYERS AND SNAP THE END TO THE OUT POINT.

5. DOUBLE CLICK (OR ALT+STEP OUT) TO CONTRACT MATTE KEY AND DRAG IT DOWN INTO THE TRACK BELOW AT THE IN POINT.

6. AFTER THIS IS DONE, TRIMMING IS POSSIBLE ON THE CLIP AND THE SPEED WILL ADJUST.

GRAPHIC NESTS OR ANIMATTE CUTOUT ANIMATIONS

1. CREATE GRAPHIC LAYERS FOR PROJECT ON SEPARATE TRACKS....EXAMPLE THREE GRAPHICS WITH ALPHA ARRANGED AS YOU WANT THEM OR AN ANIMATTE CLIP WITH CUTOUT.

2. CREATE GREEN, BLUE, RED BACKGROUNDS

2. PUT A BACKGROUND ON A TRACK BELOW THE GRAPHICS OR ANIMATTE

4. COLLAPSE GRAPHICS OR ANIMATTE AND BACKGROUND

5. PUT (NOT ALT PUT) 3DWARP EFFECT ON COLLAPSED CLIPS

6. OPEN 3DWARP EFFECT EDITOR AND CHANGE FOREGROUND “FULL KEY” TO “CHROMA KEY” OR BETTER “SPECTRAMATTE” KEY

7. SET KEYING COLOR WITH EYEDROPPER CLICKING ON GREEN, BLUE OR RED BACKGROUND (YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO THIS TWICE).  LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE KEY TO SEE IF GREEN OR BLUE IS NOT GIVING A COMPLETE KEY…SWITCH OR TRY RED.

8. THEN YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH THE CLIPS USING THE 3DWARP CONTROLS

I9-NVidia3060-160ram-WIN11PRO-MC24.6-NewBlueFX-Photoshop-Shutter Encoder-Boris Continuum 12.5-VLC Player [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 4 2023 10:38 PM In reply to

WITH THANKS TO RIPVANMARLOWE!

HELLO SIR...IS THIS AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOUR METHOD USES?  IT IS EDITED FOR CLARITY AND SOME CONTENT BUT BASICALLY USES YOUR PROCEDURE...THANK YOU FOR THAT!

ANIMATTE ONLY OPTION (NOT FOR GRAPHIC NESTS)

PROS– USES A MATTE KEY, WHICH IGNORES COLOR

CONS – MORE COMPLEX, THE TWO TRACKS MUST STAY TOGETHER AND CANNOT BE COLLAPSED.

IN THIS EXAMPLE WE WANT A BACKGROUND OF A BEACH SCENE AND A SHOT OF A BOTTLE OF BEER, FLYING ABOUT THE PLACE.

1 BEACH BACKGROUND LAYER ON V1

2 SHOT OF BEER ON V2.

3 DUPE OF BEER ON V3 WITH ANIMATTE ON IT. 

4 DO ROTO OF THE BEER WITH THE ANIMATTE TOOL.

5 EXPAND THE V3 ANIMATTE CLIP IN THE TIMELINE BY DOUBLE CLICKING (OR ALT+STEP IN) SO YOU SEE THE NESTED LAYERS.

6 DRAG THE PAINT EFFECT TO THE TOP V1.2 NESTED VIDEO LAYER AND DRAW A RECTANGLE OVER THE WHOLE THING. MAKE THE COLOR OF THE RECTANGLE BLACK BY SETTING THE SATURATION AND LUMA TO 0. THIS SHOULD NOW GIVE YOU YOUR ROTO CUTOUT BUT IN BLACK.

7 DRAG THE PAINT EFFECT TO THE V1.1 LAYER AND AGAIN DRAW A RECTANGLE OVER THE WHOLE THING. ADJUST THE COLOR TO MAKE THIS WHITE (LUMA ONLY TO 255).  YOU NOW HAVE THE SURROUND OF YOUR ROTO IN WHITE AKA AN ALPHA OF YOUR ROTO.

8 DOUBLE CLICK (OR ALT+STEP OUT) TO CONTRACT THE V3 TRACK AND ALT+DRAG THE MATTE KEY EFFECT ON TOP OF YOUR ANIMATTE EFFECT.

9 YOU CAN NOW MOVE THAT ROTO ABOUT IN SCALE OR POSITION AND YOU CAN ALSO PROMOTE THE MATTE TO A 3D MATTE KEY AND HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF THE OTHER MYRIAD ADJUSTMENTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE THERE (AXIS, SCALING, ROTATION ETC.).

Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller