Latest post Thu, Aug 18 2022 11:59 PM by camoscato. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 13 2022 10:45 AM

Transcoding an utterly painful experience

Hi,

I am trying to transcode 50fps camera footage to 50fps DNxHR SQ for a 25fps project, with all the appropriate settings ticked (I have enquired into slo-mo stuff a few times on this forum), but the process is utterly painful and frustrating. 

On a previous thread one of the moderators suggested that the "...upstream..." notification (see attached) refers to, maybe, a slow external drive, so I have corrected for this and aimed to make the processing within my laptop as easy as possible, but then it's still a 50/50 hit/miss as to whether each clip will transcode or not.  I appreciate that MC is twice as heavy on any system than PP, but my PP colleagues do not have this issue (and I probably would not if running PP on my laptop).  It is taking me so long to get the footage into MC that this is exhausting (including having to transcode, hit or miss, each clip one at a time, without being able to wander off while leaving MC to a batch task), and the rhythm of editing is quite curtailed.

Please advise,

DC 

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2022.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 13 2022 5:32 PM In reply to

Re: Transcoding an utterly painful experience

Hey there, 

Firstly could you try to transcode to an external SSD drive? do not EVER transcode to your C or system drive.

Secondly, go into the source browser, find your footage, right click it, select link with, then hit link with quicktime. Then try transcoding those. 

Linking with quicktime is what we refer to AMA linking

Letting Avid do it's thing on it's own will most likley UME link your media. 

They use very different engines and I have noticed some footage which might transcode just fine on quicktime =, might not transcode via the univeral media engine.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sat, Aug 13 2022 8:48 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    I have corrected for this and aimed to make the processing within my laptop as easy as possible

Corrected for it how? What kind of drive is your footage on, and how is it connected to the computer?

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Aug 14 2022 10:48 AM In reply to

Also it's best to have your source files on a different drive to the transcode destination. 

Have you tried background Transcoding? 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Sun, Aug 14 2022 6:54 PM In reply to

Hi all,

I seem to have gotten myself in a right ol' pickle.

To answer one of the come-back questions above: previously, I simply moved the camera footage to a WD Passport drive, which seems to work reasonably well with MC.  I had bought WD's G-Force 4TB drive, with the aim of working from this as it had very positive reviews, but turns out to be utterly useless.  (I must look into SSD external drives, though literally not just yet.) 

So my workaround was to transcode from the Passport, onto my C drive, then when the operation is done to move all this over back to the Passport and to simply to let MC re-index everything.  Though before this I moved a whole load of MXF files over to the G-Force drive (now intended simply as storage), and have MC re-index everything in one go.  But then, separately, the G-Force seems to have 1.5 TB of camera footage hidden/lost, so, independently, when MC performed the re-index, while noting that it was doing the E-drive (G-Force), no relevant indexes are to be found within this drive's various Avid MediaFiles folders (note, it's not this lot that are 'hidden'), and, consequently, when open MC is not able to bring up these clips/files on numerous timelines.

To simplify:

i) I think my initial thinking for workflow is a decent workaround, it's just that a new, independent issues has arisen that throws a spanner in the proverbial.

ii) The G-Force needs binning?

Comments, please?

D. 

Asus ZenBook UX534FTC_UX534FT running Windows Home 64-bit Processor: Core i7, GTX 1650 Installed memory (RAM): 16.00 GB Installed: Avid MC 2022.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 14 2022 8:05 PM In reply to

I'm confused.

Is the problem that you're getting an error when you try to transcode, or is the problem that you've moved media files among your system drive and two different external drives, and now Media Composer doesn't see your media?

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Mon, Aug 15 2022 4:30 PM In reply to

I'm just going to address the elephant in the room which is that you are running an unsupported OS on an unsupported, low spec consumer laptop with the bare minimum memory (and you have no option to increase it passed 16GB).  So although people sometimes can make these machines work, you can't be surprised when they don't. 

It's unclear from your posts if you have fixed the original issue and now have a new issue regarding the re-indexing of the media copied from your C drive? If you have transcoded to your C drive then when that finishes, MC will already have created  databases. There is no need to delete them and re-index them once they are moved over to the Passport drive. You just copy the whole folder and as long as you haven't changed anything since finishing transcoding then you don't need to do anything else, MC will read these databases and see the media as online. 

What I would do is transcode as you are doing. When it finishes, save and close the bin, go to your newly created media folder which will probably be called "1" , rename it to something useful like your camera roll number, reopen the bin and check everything is still online in MC, then copy that new media folder to your passport drive. Don't re-index it once it's there, just leave it alone and go on to the next batch.

Also, I can't find any mention of a Western Digital G-Force drive. Are you confusing it with a G-Tech drive?

Pat's suggestion of using background transcode is a good one, the Upstream pipe stall error used to occur with GoPro footage a lot (MP4), using background transcode would sometimes fix this presumably because it used less CPU to do the transcode so therefore went slower. It was a weird bug. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 15 2022 5:20 PM In reply to

Hi all, thank you for getting back.

Erm, did I resolve the original issue?  I believe so, in that everything was finally transcoded.  The issue here is, and it probably is my set-up (which needs an overhaul), is that the task was achieved by sheer perseverance, which means batch-automating didn't happen so way too much attention was given this task that automation would instead free up my brain power. 

As for the external drive?  I've now handed it to an IT guy, so as to recover the hidden files (space still taken up though the files on initial display are somehow lost/hidden), but yes, I believe it is G-Technology.  I am totally not a fan.  

Overall, this exercise is a test.  I wanted to establish workflows before proper jobs, then upgrade the set up through organic growth.  Not knowing anything about processors, can anyone provide a (Youtube) link detailing what a good processor is for video editing, etc.?

DC 

• Mon, Aug 15 2022 5:25 PM In reply to

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2021.12 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 15 2022 9:18 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    The issue here is, and it probably is my set-up (which needs an overhaul), is that the task was achieved by sheer perseverance, which means batch-automating didn't happen so way too much attention was given this task that automation would instead free up my brain power. 

Transcoding can be hard to get your head around if you're not technically inclined, or don't have a good handle on how Media Composer manages media and what your role is in that process. It's harder if the system you're working on isn't powerful enough to make the process smooth. My guess is you've got a combination of those issues hindering you.

• Wed, Aug 17 2022 7:01 PM In reply to

Again, thank you, and I will do better next time.

That said, having moved everything to another drive and already deleted each folder's two index-related files, when booting up MC, it is not re-indexing.  Please advise. 

• Wed, Aug 17 2022 8:08 PM In reply to

The folders need to be at the root of the drive. Eg D:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1

If you're not in a shared environment then they should be labelled with a number - 1, 2 etc. So to be clear, the folder that contains the .mxf files should be called "1" or "2" etc. (without the quote marks) and this folder MUST be inside the above folder structure - Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1

If you've already done this and it's still not indexing, then in Avid, open your media creation tool (Ctrl/Cmd+5), set your media creation to the drive you have copied your media to, create a title or a bit of audio tone etc and Avid will create a new folder structure on that drive. Now copy your media in to this newly created series of folders and then delete the databases again.

Andi

• Wed, Aug 17 2022 11:07 PM In reply to

I think I've resolved this.  I gave the folders a number, plus I also thought you could name it, eg., "1 - xyz project".  It seems no.  Is there a numbering & naming system? 

• Thu, Aug 18 2022 9:20 AM In reply to

Naming the folder "locks" it from being indexed. If you want Avid to see it and index it, it has to be a number only. Good practice for working locally on larger projects where you need to stay organised is to create your media and then when you are finished rename the folder with some useful information - I like to use the roll number of the card or the shooting day etc and this will then stop that folder being indexed and help with your media management. 

On the show I am currently on, I will transcode all the rushes for one contestant for that day, then rename the folder with;  abreviated show name+contestant initials+shooting day. That locks that folder off from indexing and then I start on the next batch. I can now send this mediafiles folder to my other editors and we all know we have the same media. If I just sent a folder called "1", they may already have that, then they would rename my "1" folder as something else and everything would get messy very fast.

So:

Number only - allows indexing. 
    Named folder - locks folder from indexing

In a shared environment (Nexis etc) it's different, but for your purposes this is what you need to be doing.

Andi

• Thu, Aug 18 2022 10:11 AM In reply to

Brilliant, much appreciated.  DC 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller