Latest post Wed, Oct 26 2022 12:32 PM by oklaroma. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 2 2022 11:45 PM

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 6 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Group clip distortion error: randomly squeezes and stretches mid shot

Hello, we have been having an issue on multiple projects where group clips will randomly distort (squeeze/stretch) in the middle of a shot. Sometimes this will also happen when playing back group clips in the source monitor, but not always.

This does not happen on source clips. Here is a side by side comparison of one example section in one of our projects.

Group error example:

https://youtu.be/TLon8IJqnLQ

Screen recording MC:

https://youtu.be/YTioUbFQ3uA

We are running Media Composer 2022.7 on Avid Nexis (2021.12)

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Media Composer 2023.12 - Mac Pro (2019) 16-Core - NEXIS 2023.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 3 2022 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: Group clip distortion error: randomly squeezes and stretches mid shot

Hi Tim, 

That looks like a stretched frameflex turning off and on for some reason... Did you have any frame flex adapters on your timeline before? Can you right-click your sequence > hit refresh all? 

Does this happen on one timeline or multiple timelines?

What is the raster size of the project and your media?

Is your media Avid managed? 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

• Wed, Aug 3 2022 6:23 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Hello Philip,

The only adapter on the problem clips is the color one automatically applied when the group clips are cut into the timeline (they have a LUT on them). The proxies were created in Avid. They are DNxHR LB and are 1/4 source (1920 x 1080). Project is UHD with reduced raster 1/4 turned on. This has been happening all over the project (multiple timelines).

I tried your suggestion of refreshing all, and a new scaling adapter was applied which had not previously been there. The example clip does not squeez/stretch in the middle anymore. This is interesting because if a scaling adapter was needed wouldn't that have been applied when it was edited into the sequence?

Media Composer 2023.12 - Mac Pro (2019) 16-Core - NEXIS 2023.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 4 2022 1:38 PM In reply to

Can you go into your bins, right click your media > source settings > frameflex and remove all frameflex adapters for the time being. 

Then right click your sequence and hit > refresh all.

Then right click your sequence again and hit commit multicam edits.

Then do an export.

For the moment I don't want any spatial frameflex adapters on your timeline.

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

• Thu, Aug 4 2022 7:39 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Philip Kapadia:
    Can you go into your bins, right click your media > source settings > frameflex and remove all frameflex adapters for the time being. 

Hi Philip, I'm not sure how to remove frameflex from source settings. As I understand it, the source level frame flex is where you tell MC how you want the clip to be interpreted for playback or when cut into a timelline.

When I checked the source level frameflex settings I noticed something weird, though. The settings are identical on both the source clip and the proxy. However, on the proxy clip the display area is showing a different aspect ratio than the one listed in the settings. See linked screenshots.

Source clip frameflex settings

Proxy clip frameflex settings

• Tue, Aug 9 2022 7:25 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Philip Kapadia:

Hi Philip, I cannot find a way to remove the incorrect display aspect ratio from these proxy clips in source settings. This weird problem is causing all of our interviews to appear stretched everywhere they are used in the project. Any ideas about how to fix this? 

proxy streched

Additional note: I discovered that the "popping" from stretched to not mid clip only happens when 1/4 reduced raster is turned on. When reduced raster is off the proxy clips just display stretched, no "popping" back and forth.

• Tue, Aug 9 2022 10:40 PM In reply to

Are you able to link your media again, then transcode it again? Make sure that the linked and transcoded media looks exactly the same. Bake in the raster frameflex and reduced raster transformation - check source 1/4 in your transcode box .

Otherwise, we can get a support case going... 

https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-support

do you have a support contract? Let me know if you don't. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Wed, Aug 10 2022 12:55 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Philip Kapadia:
    Are you able to link your media again, then transcode it again?

Yes, re-transcoding new proxies from the linked source clips does "fix" the display problem. However, the original proxies were also correct when they were first created. I supect there is a software bug which caused the clip frameflex info to corrupt. Here is further evidence that there is a bug in MC 2022.7 involving frameflex and groups: 

https://youtu.be/VfwSwwiXhAI

This is why I brought it to your attention. I'm hoping your dev team can figure this out and fix the bug. Do we need to submit a support ticket for that?

Philip Kapadia:
    do you have a support contract?

We have 36 active subscriptions of Media Composer Ultimate. I would hope we are entitled to support. (note, I am posting to the forum from my personal account.)

• Thu, Aug 11 2022 2:30 PM In reply to

Tim:

This is why I brought it to your attention. I'm hoping your dev team can figure this out and fix the bug. Do we need to submit a support ticket for that?

If you could, That would be great. The support team has direct contact with engineering who will be able to look into this.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Thu, Aug 11 2022 8:02 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 360

Done, case number is 04479954.

• Thu, Aug 11 2022 8:49 PM In reply to

Yes

thanks! update us once you get responses.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Oct 25 2022 12:00 PM In reply to

• pukkascott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 40
    • Points 560

Out of interest I have just discovered this in a project but working in 2018.12.15 (system is on Media Central / Interplay and 2020 etc still doesn't play nicely with them). 

Just two clips in a group, both 1920x1080. One of them plays back fine, the other looks fine when in pause. When playback is hit the image stretches vertically 200% with the top of frame locked to the top of the raster and horizontally 200% but with the centre of frame remaining where it is. In other words I can see the top/middle half of the picture.

The group has been Sync Mapped with the original clip on a lowet track which plays back normally. Matching frame to the original group (out of the sync map) and the problem still occurs. Matching frame again to the original clip and the clip plays back fine so there is nothing wrong with the source footage.

New user settings were made and it doesn't happen as often in another edit suite.

Finally it is not consistant. It can be doing it for 10 minutes, go to another source come back and it plays normally. Once or twice it has stretched when in pause too. Something extremely random then and in various versions of MC.

Running MC 2018.12.18 with BM Decklink Studio 4K. Checked the settings on this too.

Self-built Intel i7 PC with Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16GB RAM, GTX570 GFX card, BM Intensity card, G-Tech e-sata drives. Don't need an approved system... [view my complete system specs]

Mantra: Macs are user friendly, Macs are user friendly...

• Wed, Oct 26 2022 12:32 PM In reply to

• oklaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 12 2018
    • Posts 8
    • Points 105

I had similar group playback issues working with UHD media in an HD project (both 2022.4 and 2022.7). In my case, the workaround has been to place an "Add Edit" to the group clip in the timeline, usually at a point in the clip when all the media is offlapping.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller