Latest post Sun, May 29 2022 6:20 PM by Bruno M. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 23 2022 1:39 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,460

ARTIST MIX (very) unreliable?

Has anyone else seen the following issues with Artist Mix?

I have three artist panels , Mix, Color and Transport - all running together with my workstation on a dedicated network with its own router (separate from the general purpose and media networks).

Sometimes when I open the audio mixer tool, and move the artist mix faders, the on-screen MC faders are slow to respond. When I run a mix record in this condition, the faders are sluggish, and often do not respond to small adjustments, then suddenly jump to a high level which would have been arrived at incrementally. Thus the mix is trash and must be run again.

Sometimes it works faultlessly - only tio show the fault again without warning.

I have suspicions about the mechanical fader knobs themselves - the fader knob is made of conductive silver plastic, which "senses" the users finger contact - some sort of static electricity maybe - when one touches the fader. I discovered this years ago when i first bought the panel and changed the fader knows for nice Soundcraft knobs, which had a nicer feel but which are not conductive plastic. So the faders didn't work with MC and it took me ages to diagnose this issue. But I have had the original silver knobs back on for six years so that's not the same issue. But I do wonder if it may be related to my present problem.

Yes, I have checked thta all three panels are running the latest Eucon firmware :)

Any suggestions anyone?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Fri, May 27 2022 11:50 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 913
    • Points 11,690

Re: ARTIST MIX (very) unreliable?

Could be a lot of things, like some background process on your computer eatiing up processor cycles that Avid needs, but as a start, I notice you're using quite an old version of MC.

8.5.3 has got to be about six years old now? You could try updating to something a bit newer. If you want to stay on the classic interface then 2018.12.15 was the last version (released mid 2021).

It's possible that there was an issue in earlier versions that caused the problem you're seeing when using mutiple panels.

Since not that many people use these panels, it's the sort of thing that goes unnoticed, even when fixed.

I have a similar panel setup to you. I've run it with 2018 (on both Windows 7 and 10) and not noticed the problem you've described.

BTW I have EuControl 3.6.1 installed (so not the latest version).

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 28 2022 4:55 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,150

I'd try a Eucon driver that is roughly the same age as your version of Media Composer. I've seen intermittent issues before when the Eucon driver was "too young" for a given version of MC.

Media Composer 2020.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Sun, May 29 2022 3:46 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 251
    • Points 2,995

Hi Adrian,

I also own and use those three Avid Artist panels, and I do not experience the problems you have.

Like already has been said in previous posts, running another version of EuControl is certainly worth the try. The version that I use is EuControl 2018.3.0.244.

When I bought my current system at the end of 2019, my whole system got slowed down because of a certain version of EuControl. It was completely unworkable. Back then I had installed the same version as I had on my Mac Pro. Because it worked flawless on the Mac I assumed that this version also was going to do the job on the by then for me new HP-Z840. Unfortunattely it didn't. In my case installing a newer version did the trick.

Ivan

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 29 2022 4:21 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,460

Thanks for the info - until today I have been running Eucon v.19.5.0.514 but I have now downgraded to 18.0.3.244 - let's see if that works better.

I fear thatw e now live in a world of "update addiction" where both users and manufacturers see updates as the solution to today's problems, never asking themselves why the errors discovered in the previous version reached the market in the first place. This is the downside of digital ethics - of course updates that add new functionality are welcome, but updates that solve disfunctionality shouldn't be necessary and updates that create new disfunctionality should be banned!

In the days of heavy-metal equipment, manufacturers had to get it right with version 1 - otherside they faced huge recall costs and bad PR - of course screw-ups happened, but precisely because they were so costly for the manufacturers there was the incentive to get more right to begin with and to be reslutant to issue new improvements willy-nilly.

Outside my studio stands my Ferguson TEA20 tractor from 1955 (15th October 1955 to be precise) - it was the final upgrade (V.2) of the TE20 from 1947, which was upgraded in 1955 from 81 c.c to 85 c.c. cylinders - since then, almost 70 years - there have been no upgrades to this model - which probably explains why an estimated 60 % 0f those ever built are still running and one can still buy all components as spare parts. The case is almost the same with my Series III Land Rovers. Yea - modern IT manufacturers could learn a lot from manufacturers of old :)

I get worried when I see an update labelled v. 18.3.0.244 or 19.5.0.514 - have there really been hundreds of updates that were rejected and never released? This sounds more like genetic mutations than well-planned product development. (Especially considering that I have not noticed any increase in functionality in Eucon since 2013 - only so called bug-fixes?)

Maybe Avid developers and technical support staff shouyld join in the discussions on this their forum now and again, instead of leaving the troubleshooting to the editors ?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Sun, May 29 2022 5:58 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 913
    • Points 11,690

A lot of the updates for the Eucon software really only benefited audio consoles like the S3.

Since the Artist series have remained vitually unchanged for years, there wasn't anything that I saw (in the release notes) that related to the Artist Mix/Color.

I suspect the 18 or 19.xx.xx relates to the year of release.

As I mentioned before, I've found that Eucon 3.6.1 works perfectly for me, and that dated back to 2017.

Worth noting that if you intend to grade using the Baselight Editions AVX plugin with your Artist Color, this software communicates directly with the panel (via ethernet), so you need to remove it from the Eucon list of assigned panels or just shut down the Eucon software completely.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 29 2022 6:12 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,460

Thanks Bruno

I tried to roll back to v.18.0.3.244 and the install seemed to go right - then restart and open MC - no Eucon utility in the windows menu bar, and manual starting using the prog. start menu didn't work - with MC up and running I had no Econ whatsoever. So had to run a windows restore to get back to 19.0.5.514 ;(

But at least I tried that :)

Adrian Redmond

• Sun, May 29 2022 6:20 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 913
    • Points 11,690

Try the version I have (3.6.1).

If you can't find it easily let me know and I'll upload it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller