Latest post Mon, Jun 20 2022 10:14 PM by Philip Kapadia. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 26 2022 10:37 AM

• samoac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 6 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

Avid Media Composer on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 Crash on Launch

Hello, wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or not... I've got a problem with Avid Media Composer on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, I've tried both 2021.12 and the recent 2022.4, both with fresh installs, clean uninstalls previous to the installs, and upon click the app icon to launch it immediately crashes and throws up a MacOS error window. Doesn't even get as far as the splash screen. We're using a Late 2013 Mac Pro (trash can), AMD FirePro D700 6GB, 3ghz 8-core Intel Xeon E5. If anyone has a similar set up and has/had similar issues, if you've overcome them, what did you do? I've attached the text from the Error message if that would help diagnose the issue. Thanks.
  • Wed, Apr 27 2022 4:15 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Media Composer on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 Crash on Launch

Hello, Your OS is compatible with those versions of MC so that's okay.

I'm curious if Media Composer ever launched on this machine? Has anything changed at all or one morning you tried opening MC it threw up that error? 

Could you send a screenshot of the error message you are facing?

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

• Wed, Apr 27 2022 5:05 PM In reply to

• samoac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 6 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Yes Avid MC has worked on this machine, we've had it since 2016, and MC has worked fine on it until recently. I've updated the machine to Big Sur yesterday, and its still the same problem. There is no exact error message, you literally click on the icon in launchpad or the applications folder, it bounces once on the dock, and then immediately crashes and you get the generic MacOS error message saying this application has crashed.
    The text from the 'Report to Apple' window is attached to the original post.

• Fri, Apr 29 2022 11:51 AM In reply to

I see!

Best to create a support case: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-support

They can troubleshoot this with you

Editing Movie Magic.

• Wed, May 4 2022 11:28 PM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,390

samoac:
    you literally click on the icon in launchpad or the applications folder, it bounces once on the dock, and then immediately crashes and you get the generic MacOS error message saying this application has crashed.

Did you get a solution to this? I'm now experiencing the same problem.

• Thu, May 5 2022 12:16 AM In reply to

During startup, MC goes through several processes. It is indicated at the bottom of the splash screen. Can you see which process is occuring when it crashes?

MC 2022, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 5 2022 1:19 AM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,390

That's not possible in this case, it crashes before the splash screen comes up. It's an instant crash as soon as the app is launched.

• Thu, May 5 2022 4:18 AM In reply to

First thing I'd try is a full manual uninstall of all Avid components not removed by the automated uninstaller. 
    Look here:

https://community.avid.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.70.38.44/Mac-Manual-Uninstall.txt

Once you've done that, reinstall Avid again and report back. 

Best,

j 

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon VII 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 12.2.1. MC Ultimate 2021.12-2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 5 2022 4:41 AM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 104
    • Points 1,390

Problem solved! I deleted the following folder and now I'm up and running again: /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid FatalErrorReports. 

• Thu, May 5 2022 8:53 AM In reply to

Glenno:

Problem solved! I deleted the following folder and now I'm up and running again: /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid FatalErrorReports. 

Thanks for posting your solution!

Editing Movie Magic.

• Fri, May 6 2022 4:00 PM In reply to

• beatrix71
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 11 2021
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

Thank you so much! I had the same problem and this has fixed it for me.

(iMac 2020 3.8GHz i7, Monterey 12.3.1, Avid MC 2022.4) 

• Fri, Jun 10 2022 8:45 AM In reply to

You saved my Day!!!

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 9:37 PM In reply to

• Guillermo Cobo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 31 2020
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

Thank you!!!! Your post was the fastest deactivation of a crisis that If've never seen. It was only three hours of panic and the expectation of a tricky problem which would be able to stop the editing room in the worst moment. Thank you for posting your solution.

iMac i9 27", 64GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with MC Ultimate 2021.6 Blackmagic Ultrastudio MiniMonitor. Tiger Store on SAN as a shared storage. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 20 2022 10:14 PM In reply to

Glenno:

May I add that we’ve logged this as a bug, and the team is doing everything they can to get it into a forthcoming version. Check the readme files when they get released.

Editing Movie Magic.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller