Latest post Sat, Apr 23 2022 1:39 PM by Robert Goodman . 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 11 2022 11:44 PM

"virtual" stereo tracks idea

Because it's very difficult to get teams of editors to agree to work with Avid Stereo Tracks, and because they can't do things like grouping, I'd like to suggest making a way to display and control pairs of "dual mono" tracks as "virtual" stereo tracks. It would be a user setting, not a different track format. The timeline itself wouldn't change so those who don't like actual stereo tracks don't have to deal with them. But this new option *could* make pairs of dual mono timeline tracks behave exactly like stereo tracks - with one fader in the mixer - and one track in the timeline. This new setting would also load dual mono clips as stereo tracks in the source monitor. It could be called simply "display dual mono tracks as stereo." MC would either automatically sense dual mono tracks on the timeline or the user could setup certain pairs of timeline tracks to display as stereo tracks. Again, as a *user setting* not a permanent change to the tracks. This would be SO useful because you would no longer have to do everything twice - selection/mute/solo/effects/keyframes/trim rollers/patching/faders/display settings/add edits.... PLEASE show your support if you are SO tired of all the extra clicks and this is something you would like to have because you are not in a position to use actual stereo tracks for whatever reason. It would be a great all around alternative to actual stereo tracks because no clips would have to be converted, and no dedicated tracks would be necessary in the timeline.

• Tue, Apr 12 2022 1:16 PM In reply to

Re: "virtual" stereo tracks idea

Mark,

Ha! This is a good idea, but only because I too am fed up with highlighting dual mono tracks in the bin and modifying them to stereo. I have tried to persuade AE's and co-editors to use stereo tracks, but they seem, despite having no reason to justify it, to want two tracks intead of one in the timeline!

Maybe make MC always import such tracks as stereo and give the option to modify if they must... ;)

D

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja Kona 4, SNS SANmp 2x Infortrend... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 22 2022 3:46 AM In reply to

i to work with a bunch dual mono people. i dont get it at all. never got a good reason as to why they prefer that way either. its always just....because. 

• Fri, Apr 22 2022 4:01 PM In reply to

David Yardley:

Mark,

Ha! This is a good idea, but only because I too am fed up with highlighting dual mono tracks in the bin and modifying them to stereo. I have tried to persuade AE's and co-editors to use stereo tracks, but they seem, despite having no reason to justify it, to want two tracks intead of one in the timeline!

Maybe make MC always import such tracks as stereo and give the option to modify if they must... ;)

D

If you go to settings > Link settings > Link options, you will find options for setting multichannel audio - so you don't have to select all and modify every time you want to bring something new in. Likewise there is a similar option somewhere for the import method.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

• Fri, Apr 22 2022 4:44 PM In reply to

Thanks Philip,

I work on shows where the A.E's and other editors regularly import material, Mark, Robert and I are commenting on our frustration at this...

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja Kona 4, SNS SANmp 2x Infortrend... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 22 2022 7:47 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 372
    • Points 3,990

I would also like something like this. It would be great if editors could just decide whether they want stereo clips to display as dual mono or stereo in the sequence and the same clip would "just work" for both. Avid is now more biased towards dual mono since you can split stereo tracks in the timeline but you can't marry dual mono tracks into a stereo one.

Media Composer 2022.12 / OS 13.1 / 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 22 2022 9:08 PM In reply to

David Yardley:

Thanks Philip,

I work on shows where the A.E's and other editors regularly import material, Mark, Robert and I are commenting on our frustration at this...

I see 👍

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

• Sat, Apr 23 2022 1:39 PM In reply to

well aware of import settings but besides music and sfx - i dont import my own stuff and sometimes we have to pick up where another left off. 

sometime theirr sequences have 40+ tracks of audio when it could be 20 - i really really dont get it. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller