Latest post Fri, Jan 14 2022 5:27 PM by Spectro. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 31 2021 5:03 AM

• Spectro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 24 2008
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,380

Moving an AMA project to a new computer

Has anyone developed strategies for moving an AMA based project from one computer to another?

If I unplug the external drives on my desktop, and plug them into my laptop (both using the same OS and same version of Media Composer), the files that have been transcoded into MXF files appear just fine. But anything AMA linked goes offline.

Do I really need to relink and replace all of the clips in the timeline every time I move to a different computer?

• Fri, Dec 31 2021 11:45 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Moving an AMA project to a new computer

You shouldn't have massive trouble with this, but you will need to help Avid link the clips up.

It's normally sufficient to make a new bin and alt-drag the folders containing media that was previously ama linked into it. Avid should recognise it and update the links in the other bins in the project. There should be no need to replace clips in Sequences or any malarky of that sort.

I know I've used the word 'should' at every step - this isn't 100% reliable!

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 31 2021 5:02 PM In reply to

• Spectro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,380

Unfortunately, this method did not work for me. What makes it more frustrating is that, even without trying to relink into a new bin, some of the AMA clips appear online, while others are offline. This is despite the fact that all of the AMA media in question is coming from the same folder on the same hard drive.

So, I'm currently stuck manually replacing clips in the timeline. This makes the prospect of moving from desktop to portable, as needed, an unsustainable option.

It sure would be nice if there was a "Locate..." function, like Adobe Premiere, where I could just point Avid to the clip, and it would "figure things out". Or at least "re-enable" past Avid functionality, where I could import graphics files into MXF format, yet always batch re-import at a later date. It worked flawlessly, and kept all of my media together in MXF format - so moving from workstation to workstation, or moving media from drive to drive, was rock-solid.

Any other ideas?

• Sat, Jan 1 2022 10:10 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

There may be 'reasons' why some AMA media links and some doesn't.

You say you're running the same version  Media Composer on the same Mac OS - but do you have the same versions of AMA plugins on both?

And additional cause of stress is the issue of UME Vs QuickTime linking. The same 'method' needs to be used by both systems, but this may not happen without your manual intervention.

I'm not defending MC here, btw. I couldn't agree more regarding the need for a Premiere-style relinking dialogue!

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 14 2022 2:32 AM In reply to

• Spectro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,380

MikeyB:

You say you're running the same version  Media Composer on the same Mac OS - but do you have the same versions of AMA plugins on both?

Adding to the frustration, I temporarily moved some files that were referenced via AMA from one folder to a different folder. A day passed, and I had to work on that project again. So I dragged the folder back to it's original root location.

However, Media Composer is now telling me about 50% of the clips are offline. And "relinking into a new bin" doesn't bring them back to life. So, it's not an issue of a different AMA plugin. It's the same machine, with the same drives, just on two different days.

Surely I'm not the only one that moves projects from machine to machine, or archives stuff to be brought back at a later date. The whole AMA workflow is maddening to me, and will reiterate that the import/batch re-import method of days past were infinitely more reliable.

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 10:48 AM In reply to

If Avid AMA was dumb as it is in other NLEs then it would be a simple process to repoint master clips and sequences to the new locations. 

But this does risk cross linking which can be a nightmare to unpick.

So Avid has attempted to make AMA linking more like managed media in that Avid retains databases that remember where source files were when they were linked and adds additional metadata to help identify those files (beyond file names)

Normally this works really well and makes file based linked media more robust. But, as in your experience, it can cause issues.

Its possible to disable AMA management, its an MC setting. Its possible to delete AMA management databases (stored on the boot drive)

The changes from the QT AMA plugin to the UME AMA plugin is a serious issue if you need to move between systems using those (not in this case)

But if you prefered the import route then AMA link and Transcode. That gives you rock solid Avid media.

Then you only have to relink the sequence at the end as is done but thousands of facilities every day.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Fri, Jan 14 2022 5:27 PM In reply to

• Spectro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,380

Pat Horridge:
    But if you prefered the import route then AMA link and Transcode. That gives you rock solid Avid media.

Thanks for your insight, Pat. And yes, as long as I "don't touch anything", AMA is a quicker way to get material ingested and into the timeline. However, the minute jobs get archived and restored later to be revised, or things move to a new workstation, or a different drive, or even the same drive on different days (as noted above) it tends to create havoc. So AMA feels like short term gain, long term pain - at least for me.

Also, I do AMA link/transcode material, in almost all cases, in order to stay in the MXF format. That works pretty well for "static" items like footage. But when dealing with graphics files that get updated/revised constantly throughout the edit process... the greatest tool I had relied on for many years has been eliminated - being able to batch reimport graphics files. Previously, I could make changes to graphics/animation renders, and then just batch re-import those files in Avid, and *poof* all timelines would be updated, all in sold MXF format. And if I ever needed to restore a project, I just batch re-imported. And if Avid couldn't find where those files were, it had beautiful dialogue to let me point it in the right direction.

But now I have two choices:

(1) AMA link graphics files, which can "relink/refresh" in the timeline, but which also stand a high probabiliy of becoming unlinked during the normal course of business (i.e., move to a different computer, archive footage and bring it back later to work on, etc)

(2) "Source browse/Import" graphics files, which turns them into solid MXF media, but then makes revising them very painful. I have to go through "Source browse/Import" again, find/import the revised graphic, tell Avid that it's "OK" to import a non-AMA clip and turn it into MXF media, manually insert it into all of the timelines where it occurs, and then delete the old MXF clip to avoid confusion.

I can find no other way to operate other than 1 or 2.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller