Latest post Wed, Jan 5 2022 6:08 PM by Mark2ain. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:21 PM

• Mark2ain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 11 2010
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Sync lock issue

Hello. I usually work with sync locks on. What drives me crazy about the feature is that it will try to maintain sync by changing clips downstream from where I'm working and without my realizing it.

Let's say I'm shortening a video clip and three or four associated audio clips. I have multiple tracks but at the point I'm working, I see only these four or five clips. What I would hope would be that the other tracks which are empty at the point I'm trimming would adjust sync by shortening or lenghtening the fill in those empty tracks at the point I'm trimming. Instead what seems to happen is sync lock searches for the next clip it sees on every track no matter how far away from my work area and may try to trim those. I don't want that to happen.

Is there a way to be sure that if a track is empty at the point I'm trimming, sync lock will only adjust it at my current time? I know I could add edits to all my empty tracks, but that's an added step and I'd like to know this behavior is automatic.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Filed under:
  • Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:06 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 920
    • Points 11,770

Re: Sync lock issue

There's no way I know of adjusting this behaviour.

What I can do is offer an alternative that you might prefer.

It involves not using the sync locks but streamlining the way of using Add Edits.

Try this...

1) Select an area where you can do a trim to (say) V1 and A1&A2. Make sure there's also a few other tracks of V&A with filler here (they don't need to be selected as additional tracks).

2) Go to trim mode on these three tracks and select single roller mode.

3) Hold down the Command & Option keys (Cntrl & Alt keys for Windows).

4) Whilst holding these keys down, use the mouse to click on the Add Edit button (usually found at top of timeline)

What you should find happens is that Add Edits have been placed at the same point on all tracks with filler. Not only that, but those tracks have also been selected as well as the appropriate roller added. Now you can simply trim, knowing that all filler tracks will follow.

You'll note that if there was any tracks with media at the trim point, these will NOT have an Add Edit inserted. In this case, you can simply add more rollers as desired using the normal Shift function to add extra rollers.

I should add that I've not tried this with the latest versions of MC, as I'm not a fan of the new interface and have been editing with the 2018 versions.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 4 2022 9:24 PM In reply to

• Mark2ain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Thanks, Bruno.

As I said initially, I know I can add edits to empty tracks, but what I did not know is your trick for adding them while already in trim mode. Thanks for that tip.

• Wed, Jan 5 2022 10:07 AM In reply to

Trimming in MC 2018.12.15 seems to behave correctly with the sync locks on.

(Like Bruno not a fan of the new UI...)

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, SNS SANmp... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 5 2022 10:13 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I think you must be doing something wrong.

Sync Lock does exactly what you want, adjusting the Filler in duration and not touching the downstream clips. The behavoiur you describe, where the downstream clips get trimmed implies to me that you are not using Sync Lock, but are instead enabling the track selectors of the other tracks.

If you leave the track selectors of the 'empty' tracks off, and instead enable the Sync Lock (diagonal line symbol) of those tracks, together with the Sync Lock of one of the tracks you are trimming, all will be well. You will see grey 'sync trim indicators' showing that sync is being maintained at the edit point.

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 5 2022 4:36 PM In reply to

• Mark2ain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Thanks Mikey,

I should have put the problem a little differently. You're right it's caused by tracks with downstream clips being enabled. The problem is I haven't intentionally enabled them. So, yes, one work around would be for me to pay more attention. It's also possible this happens a lot with roll trims -- where sometimes I find a downstream clip has rolled itself out of existence -- but perhaps is mostly a problem when I want to ripple different tracks in different directions. At any rate, MC sometimes goes looking for the next clip it sees on a track, enables that track, and -- if I haven't realized the "empty" track got enabled and fail to turn it off -- it makes unintentional changes. This behavior is strictly something that occurs with sync locks on.

But since I don't run into this with every trim I make, I'm open to the frequently true possibility I'm doing something wrong.

• Wed, Jan 5 2022 5:09 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hmm, I'm not sure what to tell you here. I've not seen any instances of Avid enabling tracks all by itself.

Any method of getting into Trim I can think of picks up only the nearest edits (plus those which carry linked clips) and turns off all other tracks. I can't find a way to fool it. 

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 5 2022 6:08 PM In reply to

• Mark2ain
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

I wasn't expecting a community solution. I actually posted this as a feature request. But perhaps I'm encountering a bug or, as you suspect, some operator error. 

I'll start paying more attention to precisely what I've done, if anything, to cause this behavior. Unfortunately, I often don't discover the issue until sometime later when I'm working in the area that's been changed.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller