Latest post Mon, May 16 2022 10:26 AM by Philip Kapadia. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 4 2021 4:07 PM In reply to

Re: Avid: It is recommended that you activate the keyboard setting...

Philip Kapadia:
    It appears that my windows keyboard is changing to the american keyboard seemingly randomly.

This never happens on my laptop, where all the physical keyboards and Windows keyboards are UK, but at one of the places I work I get the 'you're changing the keyboard' warning a couple of times per day. It always happens when I'm trying to turn on/off all tracks (CTRL+a or CTRL+ALT+a).

I haven't done extensive testing, but I think the Windows shortcut to change keyboard layouts is Windows+shift, so I assume I'm fat-fingering the keys with my left hand.

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Nov 4 2021 4:32 PM In reply to

camoscato:

Philip Kapadia:
    It appears that my windows keyboard is changing to the american keyboard seemingly randomly.

This never happens on my laptop, where all the physical keyboards and Windows keyboards are UK, but at one of the places I work I get the 'you're changing the keyboard' warning a couple of times per day. It always happens when I'm trying to turn on/off all tracks (CTRL+a or CTRL+ALT+a).

I haven't done extensive testing, but I think the Windows shortcut to change keyboard layouts is Windows+shift, so I assume I'm fat-fingering the keys with my left hand.

I think you're right! When I was doing some research I read somewhere that there was a shortcut to change windows keyboards. I couldn't figure out how to disable the shortcut so I just removed the other keyboard so windows has nothing to change to. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sat, May 14 2022 5:46 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 282
    • Points 3,170

Better late than never – I hope :)

In Window 10 the keyboard shortcut CTRL+ALT changes keyboard language. This article shows how to change or disable the shortcut: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/keyboard-language-shortcut/

Media Composer 2020.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Sun, May 15 2022 8:48 PM In reply to

thanks. 

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Mon, May 16 2022 12:18 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,449
    • Points 98,420

Philip Kapadia:
    why does the US keyboard differ from the UK one, I know that it's been like this for many years.
    Philip, you may as well ask why the US can't spell centre or colour or aluminium.  To find the answer to your question you'd have to go back to the days of typewriters.

The qwerty layout is by no means cast in stone - ask any German user.  And if you came to a computer as a replacement to a Linotype machine you'd have to forget all about etaoinshrdlu and learn qwertyuiop.  I dare say that Linotype compositors asked why that was the case, too.

[EDIT] -and before anyone takes me to task on the spelling comparison, yes, I know that has nothing to do with typewriters.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 16 2022 4:38 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Big Smile

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, May 16 2022 10:26 AM In reply to

jwrl:

Philip Kapadia:
    why does the US keyboard differ from the UK one, I know that it's been like this for many years.
    Philip, you may as well ask why the US can't spell centre or colour or aluminium.  To find the answer to your question you'd have to go back to the days of typewriters.

The qwerty layout is by no means cast in stone - ask any German user.  And if you came to a computer as a replacement to a Linotype machine you'd have to forget all about etaoinshrdlu and learn qwertyuiop.  I dare say that Linotype compositors asked why that was the case, too.

[EDIT] -and before anyone takes me to task on the spelling comparison, yes, I know that has nothing to do with typewriters.

And why on earth do they have the dates the wrong way round?!! 

Stick out tongue

Editing Movie Magic.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller