Latest post Thu, Sep 30 2021 1:18 PM by John Nicholls. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 24 2021 3:20 PM

• John Nicholls
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 18 2010
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 29
    • Points 360

Remove Canvas Option in 2021

I would love to be able to minimize or disable the background canvas in avid 2021 - the default layout is extremely sterile, and not to mention I can't keep things open to reference in the BG (Scripts, quicktime files, zoom chats, etc etc) - while I know this is a function of how the bins and things tile/catch between themselves, its a pain to have anything open at the same time.

- John Nicholls

Editor for Film and Television.

www.digitallygone.com

• Sat, Sep 25 2021 6:05 AM In reply to

• Marty McLean
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac

Re: Remove Canvas Option in 2021

+1

There's no reason the canvas/host panel should exist when your panels are floating.  A quick look at the Affinity suite as an example of how it should work...

^ in 'Docked mode'

^ in 'Seperated mode'

MC 2023.12.1 | Interplay 2023.7 | Z4 G5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 25 2021 7:19 AM In reply to

Wasn't this a Mac PC thing?

PC Avids never showed the desktop. Macs did.

But in the new UI it's the same for both.

Personally I prefer not to see through my app.

It allows me to accidentally click other items and lose Avid focus. But I'm normally on a dual monitor system so can have Avid on one screen and any reference on the other.

But if its technically possible it would be helpful for those that prefer it to have the option as a setting.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Sat, Sep 25 2021 7:35 AM In reply to

• Marty McLean
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac

Pat Horridge:

Wasn't this a Mac PC thing?

PC Avids never showed the desktop. Macs did.

But in the new UI it's the same for both.

Apps on Windows must use MDI, with child windows inside a parent window.  Apps on macOS have never had this restriction, so both options should be available to us.  I'll pass this along to some design/UI people to see what they say...

Pat Horridge:

It allows me to accidentally click other items and lose Avid focus. But I'm normally on a dual monitor system so can have Avid on one screen and any reference on the other.

With all respect, this is a weak argument.  Accidentally clicking on another (Avid) panel will move focus from one to the other.  There is no difference between switching focus between windows/panels of a different app than to a different window/panel of the same app.

MC 2023.12.1 | Interplay 2023.7 | Z4 G5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 25 2021 4:00 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,181
    • Points 50,460

mrtymcln:
    With all respect, this is a weak argument.  Accidentally clicking on another (Avid) panel will move focus from one to the other.  There is no difference between switching focus between windows/panels of a different app than to a different window/panel of the same app.

Sorry, I will vote with Pat on this.  I think it is a strong argument.  But I like the option for either method.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2023.3.1 iMac w Big Sur and 2018.12.7 on Windows 10 Boot Camp [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Sep 25 2021 6:29 PM In reply to

jef:

mrtymcln:

Sorry, I will vote with Pat on this.  I think it is a strong argument.  But I like the option for either method.

Jef

Likewise, I don't see the appeal to see through my Avid windows.

Most professional Avid MC systems have at least two monitors, I have 6, Plus I print scripts and stuff out. 

John Nicholls:

the default layout is extremely sterile

It's supposed to be like that so you can focus on your cut. It's not a social media application.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

• Sat, Sep 25 2021 8:55 PM In reply to

I use iTunes to find and audition the 750Gig of temp music and sound effects, then reveal the file through the UI and drop it into a bin.

I am focussing on the cut.

Symphony 2018.12.13 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja Kona 4, SNS SANmp 2x Infortrend... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 27 2021 5:19 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,181
    • Points 50,460

Really, this discussion shows the weakness of the new UI management.

When I work with Premiere on a Mac I have most of my settings made to fully hide the computer desktop workspace.  A couple are made so that I CAN see the desktop.  Very easy to do and to use as an editor.  I give Adobe credit for this.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2023.3.1 iMac w Big Sur and 2018.12.7 on Windows 10 Boot Camp [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Sep 28 2021 12:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

mrtymcln:
    Apps on Windows must use MDI, with child windows inside a parent window.
    That really isn't the case.  Back in the days of Borland development tools they had to develop their own core library because Microsoft didn't want to support third party languages.  They provided easy implementation of floating windows inside apps developed with their Pascal and C++ programs.

To be accredited by Microsoft you probably still have to use their libraries, but there's no must use about it.  In fact, even if you're working on top of MDI I suspect that there are ways to achieve floating Windows without too great a hassle.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 30 2021 1:18 PM In reply to

• John Nicholls
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 18 2010
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 29
    • Points 360

Well, I just realized that I can physically move/minimize the BG Canvas exposing the desktop on a single monitor to keep relavent work things open at the same time. It doesnt save this layout so I have to resize it everytime but at least I can utilize desktop items which is helpful.

Who knew this request would be so divisive between users - Avid on Mac never had this canvas-style BG until recently so I'm surprised its such a backlash for it.

Either way, this thread is clearly showing us that we all use the software differently - awesome!

- John Nicholls

Editor for Film and Television.

www.digitallygone.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller