Latest post Fri, Sep 17 2021 5:24 AM by luca.mg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 13 2021 2:49 PM

• johngough
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 13 2021
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Export report with used clip durations, possible?

Hi folks, first post so apologies if this is in the wrong forum and if its been answered already, I cannot find the answer!

I need to do archive and music returns for 2 programmes. 

Each sequence is 20 mins long with hundreds of Getty images and various archive clips

I'm trying to find a way to select desired video and audio tracks and export a report of all the clip names and the durations they were used for.

I can manually do using Find phrase but this is limited as I cannot copy the information from the find results

I can also use clip dump command from console. Useful but overkill and without total durations used of given clip. 

I have also tried generating various options in sequence report but to no avail. 

Is there a straightforward way to do this?

Many thanks in advance

John 

• Mon, Sep 13 2021 10:10 PM In reply to

Re: Export report with used clip durations, possible?

Couple of ways I can think of.

EDL or ALE.

First thing's first make a sequence that contains only your archive/music:

Show reference clips on your sequence, highlight all the clips which are archive or music (you can use source resolution or sift the bin for keywords like Getty etc) and give them a colour.

In the timeline, show source clip colours - timeline settings menu>Clip Colour>Source - this shoulld highlight all the archive or music in your timeline with the colour you just gave it in the bin.

Select one of the coloured segments with your red or yellow arrow tool and right click the sequence.

Choose Select>Clips with same source clip colour.

Now all your Blue (or whatever) clips are highlighted. Right click the sequence again and choose Create Sequence Based on Selection.

Now you have a sequence made up of just your archive or music. Place it in a bin on it's own.

Show the reference clips for this bin. (Bin menu>Set Bin Display>Show reference Clips)

Select the columns you want to show in your report, for example source file name, in tc, out tc, duration etc.

Remove any other columns that you don't need.

For an ALE:

Select your master clips that you want to export.

Right click> Output>Export to File

In the options dialog choose Avid Log Exchange. There are no other options to choose.

Export your file and open in Excel etc

This will give you all your clips and the duration of those clips but it won't give you the timecodes used in the sequence.

For an EDL:

Open the list tool (used to be EDL manager) and drag your sequence in if it hasn't already loaded. I would choose File_32 as your output format.

Then go through your options and untick anything you dont need or add any you do - for example you can add source file name and remove all the effects info etc.

Preview it and if you're happy save the list to a file. 

Now I like to use an online service (free) called EDL hacker which you upload your edl to and it gives you options to convert to various different formats. I would choose "CSV file which can be imported directly into a spreadsheet program such as Excel".

Open in excel (or whatever) and you'll have a list of all your sources with in and out sequence TCs and also source TCs too.

Hope this helps.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 14 2021 2:54 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,181
    • Points 50,460

Excellent post Andi.  I am stealing this info!!

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2023.3.1 iMac w Big Sur and 2018.12.7 on Windows 10 Boot Camp [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Sep 14 2021 3:04 PM In reply to

Glad it's useful, lord knows I've replaced my fair share of archive.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 14 2021 4:01 PM In reply to

• johngough
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 13 2021
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I've done one of the programmes already using the essentially the first half of your method above sow as at least on right track.

This is great I'll try the whole method tomorrow and post how I get on. 

Muchos gracias.

J

• Fri, Sep 17 2021 5:24 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Hi johngough and welcome to the forums. I use a slightly simpler method: make a new bin, duplicate the sequence over there, decompose it with zero handles, You'll get offline clips of all the footage involved with the sequence. Display the required bin columns, arrange the bin to Your likings and export as ALE. Only caveats, cuts belonging to the same source clips will come out "in pieces", one clip for each cut, and You'll have to do a little math to work out the total duration of the used footage belonging to a given clip, but You can feed the ALE file to a spreadsheet to handle that, while multiple istances of a clip will show up as a single clip, You have to know if You've cut to the timeline the very same portion of a clip multiple times and work out the proper total duration. HTH

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller