Latest post Sat, Jul 24 2021 6:00 PM by Telegram!. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 12 2021 11:12 PM

File association to source files - Markers / Color clips

Hi,

I'm new on the forum. Whatever, I'm going to work on a project and I would like to know if there is a way to recover a .xml or .txt or something like that from colors clip or markers. Let's explain myself, my task will be to find some rushes and to mark them. I know that we can use markers but I have to export that for an other use. All video that we'll mark must be retrievable thanks to an external file correlable to source files. So I would like to know if we can have a little file from colors clip or from markers that we can use, which points directly to the source files, not to the Sequence, or track or something else.

For example, I mark in Media Composer the file "IMG_3466.MOV" and I would like to have a file which contains this information.

Thank you !

Running Windows 10  - 64bit

Avid Media Composer Ultimate - 2021.6

• Thu, Jul 22 2021 9:27 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,911
    • Points 70,025

Re: File association to source files - Markers / Color clips

Welcome to the forums Lucas. If You take the time to do a forum search You'll see that someone asked a very similiar questione a while ago. I'd search for "export markers" or similiar.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jul 23 2021 11:10 AM In reply to

I already search for an answer on the forum, and no one has exactly the information that I need. And I already test an export of markers but in the .xml or .txt there is not the data of "source file". In your bins if you right clic on rush and "Get Info" you have the path to get the source file but not in the export file of markers. Data that I need is the data behind the "Reveal File" or the possibility to export the information of UNC path in Film columns in the Info. I know that's a very picky data that I need but I have to found a way to export this data. Thanks for your answer.

Lucas

• Sat, Jul 24 2021 9:17 AM In reply to

Lucas Le Coz:

I already search for an answer on the forum, and no one has exactly the information that I need. And I already test an export of markers but in the .xml or .txt there is not the data of "source file". In your bins if you right clic on rush and "Get Info" you have the path to get the source file but not in the export file of markers. Data that I need is the data behind the "Reveal File" or the possibility to export the information of UNC path in Film columns in the Info. I know that's a very picky data that I need but I have to found a way to export this data. Thanks for your answer.

Lucas

Hi, I may have a workaround, but it is not easy to explain, and its not perfect. You can use List Tool to create your TXT file which can include your Marker Color Text, Marker Text and IF you copy/paste the Source Path from your Bin Column, into the Timeline Clip Notes, on Highlighted clips, you can have that info displayed as well. However, your File Name *may* get truncated, or limited in # of characters. I never tried this before...ask questions if you get stuck.
    If there is ANY easier way, I would love to know it too.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 24 2021 1:43 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,911
    • Points 70,025

Another option is to export the markers as suggested in another thread, export the bin with the desired file/path info as anche ALE file, merge the two exports. Not easier than the Telegram's workflow, and this is when a reliable assistant editor comes in handy. ;-) 

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Jul 24 2021 2:21 PM In reply to

I'm concerned about any truncating. That file in screengrab above should have".MP4" after fhe first 8 characters.

With what tool or app would a "Merge" of the Marker's Exported data, along with an ALE Bin Export showing full path and full Source File name take place? 

I recall a recent thread about EOL FilmScribe or ???. Can we perpetrate a Merge from inside our V2021.xx List Tool? Or in MS Excel? I noticed the word "FilmScribe" in one of List's output previews.

It would be great to have a solid workflow for this.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 24 2021 3:27 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,911
    • Points 70,025

I'm afraid that the merge is manual labour, copy-paste between different applications, that's why it's not easy and an AE is of great help. 

peace luca

• Sat, Jul 24 2021 6:00 PM In reply to

I am hoping there's an Excel expert in our midst, who will chime in on this.

I have been sort of sucessful getting an MC Custom Bin View to show its Source Paths, Color and File Names etc. columns in an Excel doc; I just haven't pursued it...I find it hard to believe there isnt a way to add or merge our Marker data exports, (.txt or .xml) but then again who knows?

I'm was also thinking there may be an AAF conversion utility that can deliver a custom TXT file, with only the data we'd want, including Markers text and Source data--like what the List Tool is close to doing.

We dont know yet who the OP is trying to provide with the Marker data and Source Paths, but even if tbe recipient had an MC Rental on their laptop, it would still be hard to view all those items in one tool, one window, at a glance. This was such a good question...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller