Latest post Thu, Jun 17 2021 11:03 AM by Gerry S. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 16 2021 11:09 AM

• Gerry S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2013
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

Thanks... Avid's saved me £400

Could someone enlighten me?

What is the logic behind charging more for perpetual licence renewal than a year's subscription to AVID ultimate?

I edit in post-production facilities working for BBC, C5 etc...so have Avid provided for me at work.

In 2021 every post-house is still using the 2018 version.....!

I also have Avid on a laptop at home just in case.

It's a perpetual licence that I have had for many years. I have paid to keep that licence although I haven't updated because there is no point as the most recent offering won't work in a professional environment.

Avid are asking for £400 for software that just wont work properly. 

So, I'm not going to renew my perpetual licence and I'm not going to bother subscribing to any other avid software untill I need it....this may be many, many months...2018 version is working fine...

Can anyone explain why avid has such a crazy business strategy?

Many thanks

A angry....little bit sad...ex avid customer

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 16 2021 2:03 PM In reply to

Re: Thanks... Avid's saved me £400

Gerry S:
    I haven't updated because there is no point as the most recent offering won't work in a professional environment.

I'm not sure what you mean. I use 2021.5 to cut a weekly 30-min show for a major broadcaster. It works fine.

Not trying to be argumentative, just not sure what you mean by '...just won't work properly.'

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 16 2021 5:35 PM In reply to

• Gerry S
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

It's not an argument it's a discussion...?

Last year a major broadcaster was testing the latest version back then...

They found it worked fine with mass storage etc. but once the project got to a certian size things started to go wrong.

I'm not sure what it was exactly but they are back using the good old version...

Don't get me wrong I'd love to move on and work with sofware designed for 2021 but as of yet every production facility I have worked in has been 2018...

That may change soon....?

I hope so..

But can you answer my main qustion regarding the pricing?

I'm looking to justify keeping my perpetual but can't find a good reason...

• Wed, Jun 16 2021 6:24 PM In reply to

Gerry S:
    It's not an argument it's a discussion...?

Cool. You said you were angry, so I didn't want you to get the idea that I was trying to start an argument.

Gerry S:
    I'm not sure what it was exactly but they are back using the good old version...

Don't know what to tell you.

Gerry S:
    But can you answer my main qustion regarding the pricing?

No, I can't. Forum moderators are just editors like you who volunteer to help here by answering 'how to' questions and escalating possible bugs to Avid for investigation. We don't work for Avid, and don't have anything to do with how they decide what to charge for Media Composer.

If you want a direct answer from Avid, I'd suggest you send an email to Raff Condalor ([email protected]).  He is Avid's customer advocate, and can help you.

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 16 2021 8:19 PM In reply to

Gerry S:
    What is the logic behind charging more for perpetual licence renewal than a year's subscription to AVID ultimate?

I don't think that is true. Regular pricing for an Ultimate subscription is 499/yr. Annual renewal for a perpetual license is 399/yr.

When you crossgrade from perpetual to an Ultimate subscription, you can get a discount for a 2yr subscription. But that means the perpetual license will be 'stuck' at the last version it was ever blessed for.

However, one could consider a non-Ultimate regular MC subscription. It does not come with the add-ons that Ultimate has, and Standards also doesn't have support for shared storage. But it is much cheaper.

My 2cts.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 17 2021 7:03 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 873
    • Points 11,290

camoscato:
    I'm not sure what you mean. I use 2021.5 to cut a weekly 30-min show for a major broadcaster. It works fine.

Same here just finished a UK TV series remotely using 2021.15, linked to Nexis and base systems using 2018, plus 4 other editors using a variety of versions. No problems whatsoever, including exchanging bins and AAFs for audio. Similarly I have done the same all through last year too with 2020/1 The reasons many facilities are on 2018 are more to do with UK broadcast still being HD and the economic cost of many licences.

For me there is no advantage to crossgrading to Ultimate subscription from a perpetual licence, especially since I have Symphony already and perpetual licences work in network environments as well. If I were to consider dropping support and arresting upgrades, I would keep my perpetual licence and simply rent newer versions going forward per job. As you say they are still on 2018 so there is not yet even need for that. Crossgrades make more sense/benefit to/for Avid than us.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 17 2021 11:03 AM In reply to

• Gerry S
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 115

Thanks Mercer

Ill be taking your advice.

Ill just rent when I need it.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller