Latest post Fri, Jun 18 2021 1:31 AM by Dom Cobb. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 15 2021 11:52 PM

• Dom Cobb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 21 2011
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

Mojave vs Catalina/Big Sur

Is there any advantage to running Media Composer on Catalina or Big Sur over Mojave - for the moment?

I only use my iMac for editing, and 2021.5 (latest) works on Mojave. Our workflow still uses Quicktime mostly. 

• Wed, Jun 16 2021 9:24 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Mojave vs Catalina/Big Sur

None that I know of!

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 16 2021 9:36 AM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 429
    • Points 4,655

Dom Cobb:
    Our workflow still uses Quicktime mostly. 

I think that Catalina and Big Sur do not support Quicktime.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 16 2021 2:05 PM In reply to

GT:

Dom Cobb:
    Our workflow still uses Quicktime mostly. 

I think that Catalina and Big Sur do not support Quicktime.

That's correct. Catalina and Big Sur will not run any 32-bit apps, so Quicktime, Avid's legacy Title Tool, and anything else you use with Mojave (or earlier) that is 32-bit will not work with Catalina or Big Sur.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 16 2021 3:39 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,590
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I agree with these comments too! Sorry for not mentioning these things. The OP was asking about potential advantages of Catalina or Big Sur. I therefore presumed they were aware of the disadvantages..

2021 MacBook Pro 16" (M1 Max 32GB), 2019 iMac 27" (8-core i9, 40GB) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 17 2021 4:49 AM In reply to

• Dom Cobb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

My apologies, I should have been more clear.

Mikey B, thanks, you are correct. I'm aware that Catalina & Big Sur don't have QuickTime support, which is why I'm asking.

Our workflow still relies on QuickTime (for the moment) so if I'm only using my iMac to run Media Composer, and the latest version - 2021.5 - runs on Mojave then I'm hoping that I don't need to upgrade to Catalina/Big Sur - for any particular benefit to MC. That way, I'm using the latest MC and I still have QuickTime compatibility via the Legacy Components installer.

Thanks

• Thu, Jun 17 2021 8:03 AM In reply to

Dom Cobb:
    if I'm only using my iMac to run Media Composer, and the latest version - 2021.5 - runs on Mojave then I'm hoping that I don't need to upgrade to Catalina/Big Sur - for any particular benefit to MC.

The latest version (currently 2021.5) runs on High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur (details in the link below). I don't know of any special benefit to running Catalina or Big Sur. In your situation I'd stick with Mojave.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

Dom Cobb:
    QuickTime compatibility via the Legacy Components installer

Just to clarify, Quicktime compatibility comes from having Quicktime installed. The Legacy Components provide you with the Title Tool and Marquee, which are not installed on Catalina or Big Sur by default. Quicktime is separate from the Legacy Components.

More info here:

http://www.avidblogs.com/avid-media-composer-apple-macos-catalina-support-and-the-universal-media-engine/

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 18 2021 1:31 AM In reply to

• Dom Cobb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 325

"I don't know of any special benefit to running Catalina or Big Sur. In your situation I'd stick with Mojave."

Thanks for the advice, what I suspected but nice to hear from others.

Thanks also for the avidblogs link, very good info.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller