Latest post Mon, Jun 7 2021 12:33 PM by RickP. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 31 2021 1:19 PM

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 71
    • Points 775

Locking out the Mac internal drive from media storage in Catalina

Since adding first Isis, then Nexis systems for media storage for our editing labs, I have put a file named 'Avid MediaFiles' in the root.  This prevents Media Composer from creating an Avid MediaFiles folder and forcing media to external/networked locations.  This Summer, I am upgrading from Mojave to Catalina and I discover the new OS prevents files and folders from being put in the root.

Is there another method I can use to lock-out media from the local drive for all users automatically?  It has to be student and instructor proof.  A solution requiring a setting-change for every project and user will not do.

Media Composer v2018.10 on (30) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and 23 iMac Pros with 32GB RAM, plus an assortment of HP i5s running Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 31 2021 2:44 PM In reply to

Re: Locking out the Mac internal drive from media storage in Catalina

You can add folders at the root on the new Mac OSs it just takes, a little jiigling.but don't worry users can't create media on the internal drive, as the, OS won't let them. 

The downside is I think MC now creates the local media in the users document folder so potentially even more of a problem... 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, May 31 2021 7:50 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 71
    • Points 775

That's not encouraging.  Guess I'll keep looking for something that will do what I need.

Media Composer v2018.10 on (30) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and 23 iMac Pros with 32GB RAM, plus an assortment of HP i5s running Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 2 2021 8:58 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 639
    • Points 8,185

Maybe I've misunderstood here but can't you simply filter out out Launch and system drives in Media Creation? If you're talking about another internal drive, then that's a bummer you can't copy files to the root, since I've always used the read only text file method, which still works fine on Windows. As far as I'm aware Avid does not write media files to the user's document folder it only installs medialfiles such as black and 'offline' to 'Avid_MediaFiles', upon intial installation, so I don't think that should be a worry.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 3 2021 12:31 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 71
    • Points 775

If I can do so universally for all users, that may work, but I've seen MC put media in the drive with most free space, regardless of which drive is selected.  Is there a Media Creation site setting?  Will a site setting transend all users on a Mac?

I've added a text file to folder with the application to lock-out certain codecs used in transcoding before.  I wish there was something similar to lock-out media locations.

• Thu, Jun 3 2021 1:03 PM In reply to

If there was a way to make 'site' in 'site settings' actually apply to a site, and if MC would always (100%) adhere to the media creation settings... what a wonderful world this would be. [:'(]

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jun 4 2021 1:44 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 84
    • Points 860

I've always wished Avid could have a "locked" media creation setting where it would at least pop-up a warning when media was going to the "wrong" drive.

What I do is create an "Avid MediaFiles" folder on the drive I want to omit and then in the Mac OS info for the folder I remove all write permissions for the folder.  This keeps Avid from writing media to the drive, but in v2018 at least it can still revert to that drive and then you just get errors when you try to ingest stuff – the errors don't say "unable to write to drive" or anything like that, so you have to remember that any ingest errors are likely because it is trying to write to the drive you "locked".   I've had a few instances where title tool seems to have stopped working and then I realize that it is trying to create titles on my "locked" drive.  But still, it's worth it not to have media in the wrong place.

Avid MC 2018.12.14 Mac Os Mojave (10.14.6 iMac 5k (2017) 34ghz Intel Core i5 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Radeon Pro 570 4 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 4 2021 1:52 PM In reply to

Pretty sure just a simple text document called "Avid MediaFiles," will do the same thing.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 5 2021 1:01 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 860

Ha ha!  I didn't even think of that.  Lol.

Avid MC 2018.12.14 Mac Os Mojave (10.14.6 iMac 5k (2017) 34ghz Intel Core i5 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Radeon Pro 570 4 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 6 2021 11:33 AM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 71
    • Points 775

That's what I've been doing since my Isis in 2014.  But now with Catalina, I can't put anything in the root.  At least without an elaborate hack.  On each computer.

So, my problem continues.

• Sun, Jun 6 2021 1:19 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 84
    • Points 860

But, forgive me if I'm wrong, I thought (according to another comment on this thread) that in Catalina the System Drive Media Folder is in the user's documents folder.  Is that correct?

Can you not just create a locked document called "Avid MediaFiles" in the Documents folder and have the same functionality as pre-Catalina?

(I'm not on Catalina)

• Sun, Jun 6 2021 3:56 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 639
    • Points 8,185

The system drive media folder would be 'Avid MediFiles' at the root of the drive, the document folder is 'Avid_MediFiles' and is not for new media only for those system media files such as black and 'Offline' that Avid uses generically, therefore as far as I am aware it is impossible to save media to that folder. Since it is almost always inadvisable to save any media to the main system drive and the media creation settings tab specifically allows you to filter out system/launch drives it maybe that the OP has another partion on his internal drive that was capable of acting as a media drive or otherwise another internal drive altogether. In any case if it is not possible to use the read only text file trick to 'lock' out a specific drive this I can see would be a major problem in a shared environment, something that maybe Avid will address with these later iterations of Mac OS.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 7 2021 12:33 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 71
    • Points 775

dlogneb:

But, forgive me if I'm wrong, I thought (according to another comment on this thread) that in Catalina the System Drive Media Folder is in the user's documents folder.  Is that correct?

Can you not just create a locked document called "Avid MediaFiles" in the Documents folder and have the same functionality as pre-Catalina?

(I'm not on Catalina)

I would put an empty Avid MediaFiles text file in Documents on a single-user computer, but in a lab setting, I have no idea who will be using a computers, plus I would have to take RW control of the users to add a file. 

Sometimes I really hate computers.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller