Latest post Wed, May 12 2021 6:19 PM by AndrewAction. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 10 2021 7:44 PM

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 6 2016
    • France
    • Posts 10
    • Points 140

Boris suite - Avid 2021 - why Everything is so slow ?

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal i'm on a PC with almost everything up to date

Win10, 32go Ram, 1050ti, avid 2021.5, boris continuum 11.

I'm working exclusively in HD 1080, 25p, with usb 3.0 hard drive with everything import on it (i don't work in AMA except for few de things)

On my last feature, i've around 5/6 min of footage with some Boris effect (film effect, some blur, 3D warp, and color correction)

Opening the project is a pain, navigate throught the timeline is hard when the stream with effect are activate or readable (i'm mean when i'm scrolling on it the fx are on).

When i'm rendered everything i've no problem, but if i've to make a modification everything slowing down.

And if the modification are on the fx with the stream activate or not, i've time to make a Coffee...if the computer do not crash

I don't have the processor reference but i've build the computer but i remembered buying something nice.

Anyway how can I speed up this without remove every FX of the timeline and put them back every time i've to made an export for the client?

It's only happen when i've at least 2 boris FX, on the same clip.

Just an idea (if someone know an equivalent on avid), long time ago on another edit software, i remembered i could remove FX playback just by pushing a button.

Win 10 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz 64,0 Go 1080*2 SLI [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 11 2021 12:25 AM In reply to

Re: Boris suite - Avid 2021 - why Everything is so slow ?

sanstunesprod:

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal i'm on a PC with almost everything up to date

Win10, 32go Ram, 1050ti, avid 2021.5, boris continuum 11.

I'm working exclusively in HD 1080, 25p, with usb 3.0 hard drive with everything import on it (i don't work in AMA except for few de things)

On my last feature, i've around 5/6 min of footage with some Boris effect (film effect, some blur, 3D warp, and color correction)

Opening the project is a pain, navigate throught the timeline is hard when the stream with effect are activate or readable (i'm mean when i'm scrolling on it the fx are on).

When i'm rendered everything i've no problem, but if i've to make a modification everything slowing down.

And if the modification are on the fx with the stream activate or not, i've time to make a Coffee...if the computer do not crash

I don't have the processor reference but i've build the computer but i remembered buying something nice.

Anyway how can I speed up this without remove every FX of the timeline and put them back every time i've to made an export for the client?

It's only happen when i've at least 2 boris FX, on the same clip.

Just an idea (if someone know an equivalent on avid), long time ago on another edit software, i remembered i could remove FX playback just by pushing a button.

Just so I understand, are you looking to remove the FX on playback to get faster real-time playback performance?

I don't know if there is such a feature in avid, although I don't think there is.. i've never heard of it. 

In some cases I'm able to add my effect on a filler layer above my video track, then I can just turn that track off while I preview my cut. but this obviously does not work if you have different effects on different video clips. 

Effects in avid are CPU based and GPU accelerated, so it really depends on how good your CPU is. I don't think avid has ever been very good at providing fast real-time previews of multiple effects. Titler + is an example, very slow when playing back an unrendered title. 

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 11 2021 8:32 AM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • France
    • Posts 10
    • Points 140

hhmm.... yeah, that's wath i thought....

I'm already using Filler to put FX, and yes i want to desactivate FX when playback....

the thing is (i don't know if it's an error, an auto stream shutdown or something) after trying some setup into preferences.

on the next playback, on my 14 tracks (1-3 - videos ; 4 - Color correction ; 5-7 - FX ; 8 - Barscope 1.33 (psd file) ; 9 - Barscope 2.35 (psd files) ; 10 - unused ; 11 - Name Overlay; 12 - Sub ; 13-14 - unused.

Avid playback everything except 5-7 and i remembered the tracks wasn't off, because when stop playback, the FX was on again into the preview.

I've made so many preferences modification in same time, that i didn't succeed to know what i did, and i couldn't redo after that....so I know something did at some point what i want, but what ?!!!

Win 10 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz 64,0 Go 1080*2 SLI [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 11 2021 9:57 AM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • France
    • Posts 10
    • Points 140

Ok I confirm to myself, at Home, whatever setup i'm done, turn off automatically every RT effect when playback, and the navigation throught the timeline is by far more faster (And I also confirm that it's not a link to the computer configuration, even if at home my computer is really good, last week before i'm clicking everywhere, it was also slow as hell)

https://ibb.co/xhK39W7

(effect on screenshot are

- timewarp

- BCC Film Damage

- Color Correction

- Png film (fake 1.33 ratio)

- BCC Film Damage

At the office, i can't find how to do the same setup...what the heck i've done ?!

• Tue, May 11 2021 8:53 PM In reply to

FWIW my solution for this is to create a higher layer video track for mixdowns mark in and out around the problomatic clip, make a mixdown of this selected clip and edit into the timeline on the mixdown layer. Put the mixdown clip in a bin for mixdowns only. Enable the mixdown track only when required (when a director arrives unannounced and want a viewing).  If you update or change any effect then just redo the proceeding process.  This gives me the opportunity to show different versions of the effect still in realtime.

All the effects and timeline work is available at all times.  If I render the mixdowns at final output quality it may save me time at  when I output.  Adding a seperate drive for mixdown renders has worked well here, At the end of the project I just delete all the clips in the mixdown bin (or mixdown drive)

• Wed, May 12 2021 8:36 AM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • France
    • Posts 10
    • Points 140

I've also try this workflow, I admit it's the best way to do a preview,

but still to work smoothly it's not as great to do any modification, computer slowing down too much, do you have any tips ?

For example, i do not stack my FX, that way, i can turn off the stream one by one, and i have like 3 BORIS FX, but when i delete, or trim an effect (shutdown or not) the computer start to calculate for 10/20/30 second...

Why Boris don't had a pop up windows to turn off, turn on every FX at same time.

or more simply avid, could had an "ignore uncalculated RT FX" Button for exemple, that way we could just work normally.

Maybe we could have this function into version  2027.5 when we would work on 32K footage

• Wed, May 12 2021 6:19 PM In reply to

Steve:
    Why Boris don't had a pop up windows to turn off, turn on every FX at same time.
    Boris may be open to the suggestion

Steve:
    more simply avid, could had an "ignore uncalculated RT FX" Button for exemple, that way we could just work normally.
    Why not make this suggestion in  the Avid Pro Video & Film Feature Requests Forum

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller