Latest post Wed, Apr 21 2021 5:16 PM by Darson. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 20 2021 1:10 PM

• Darson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 6 2020
    • Posts 22
    • Points 360

Relinking media of an old project

I have a 2017 project with a lot of media, sometimes with redundant names, all the files in the project that I'm trying to restore have a "new.001" extention (IMG_4045.new.01).

The avid media captured when I edited this project have been erased, I just have the original files from the cameras.

I have files shot with a 5Dmark3 camera and others shot with a Sony A7s camera.

I tried all the relinking option with the sequence without results.

I tried to relink every single master clip, Canon files appeared in the sequence, sony files didn't.

Batch import doesn't work, it keeps saying unsupported media, MC can link and transcode this files but strangely can not import them.

I'm on media composer 2020.12

Is there anything I'm missing?

Filed under:
  • Tue, Apr 20 2021 3:38 PM In reply to

Re: Relinking media of an old project

You can't relink the master clips because the master clips were linked to Avid managed media.

With the sequence on its own in a bin use bin display and show reference clips to get a list of all the clips used in the sequence. Show source file and source path to give you the files needed and their original locations.

Link all those clips into a fresh new bin.

Now with that bin open (or those bins open) use relink and chose the second option relink to selected open bins to force the sequence to relink to those newly linked clips.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Apr 20 2021 5:42 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 633
    • Points 7,565

Plus you need to use the original plugin for linking.

Possible that the old project used quiktime plugin and now you're using "Avid generic"

You can check the plugin used in the old project either by ctrl+I (me thinks, on older version myself)
    or you can make a column for plugin in the a bin.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:51 PM In reply to

I’m following this thread with great interest. Forgive my question, which is possibly a tangent:

Can we tell from an offline “.New” masterclip whether that clip was Consolidated or Transcoded, originally? If Transcoded to make an FPS change, would that explain a lack of Relinking back to its source file? Does MC Relink tool offer a way to address such a situation, within tbe “Relink to Selected” mode?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 20 2021 8:04 PM In reply to

.new01 mean that it is a transcoded file, so the linking will be to that material not the origignal camera files. Is that media all on-line? 

Media Composer 2021.03 Symphony Phrase Find Script Sync Dell XPS 8940 Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz 10cores 96.0 GB RAM NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Wed, Apr 21 2021 5:16 PM In reply to

• Darson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 6 2020
    • Posts 22
    • Points 360

Thanks everybody for your input, I'll try again, indeed I wish it was easier relinking transcoded media...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller