Latest post Wed, Apr 21 2021 9:04 AM by GaetanM. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 20 2021 11:04 AM

• GaetanM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2021
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Timeline only renders with frame blending

So I'm working on a feature project with a lot of archival and found footage from many different sources. Project is in 24fps but we have footage in all kinds of framerates, from 16fps to 29,97fps.

My issue is this : when editing in AMC footage with different framerates seem to be interpreted with a "nearest" interpolation, which is what I want, but when I render the timeline, interpolation looks like it changes to "frame blending" which creates lots of ghost frames. This is especially an issue on sources that were originally shot on film, since it creates blended images between the last and the first frame of the shots that are back to back on a same reel, which creates single ghost frames when we cut a clip on the last image of a shot.

I tried changing the render settings but whatever option I select or box I check it doesn't seem to change anything on renders. Am I missing something ? Where can I change interpolation settings for renders ?

• Tue, Apr 20 2021 2:26 PM In reply to

Re: Timeline only renders with frame blending

What are your motion settings on the clips themselves?

j

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC Ultimate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 20 2021 2:54 PM In reply to

• GaetanM
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Some clips are AMA linked and have an automatic motion adapter effect set up on the "Both Fields" setting. These clips work fine, when I export them I get no frame blending. However there are also clips that have been imported and when they are added to a timeline, no motion adapter effect is automatically added. I tried manually adding a timewarp effect and changing the "type" setting, but every single setting results in frame blending on renders (just different types of blending).

• Tue, Apr 20 2021 4:08 PM In reply to

Sounds like you baked in the wrong motion adapter when you imported them. You'll have to delete their media, and batch reimport whilst overriding the motion settings. 

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC Ultimate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 21 2021 8:16 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,965
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

As far as I know, you can't choose what sort of frame interpolation is applied during Import. I think it always uses frame blending.

When faced with this, I either import clips into projects with matching framerates, and then copy those clips into my actual 'edit' project, so I get Motion Adapters on everything, or I make sure to Link everything into my edit project, and then Consolidate/Transcode it with Source Frame Rate selected so it retains its original frame rate that way.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 21 2021 9:04 AM In reply to

• GaetanM
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thing is, I'm not the one who imported the clips so I have no idea how it was done. I probably should've mentioned that we're working with DNX85 proxies and not full res rushes, so supposedly, they should have been imported into Avid as is, without requiring any further transcoding ?

I did further testing by reimporting one of the problematic clips first with AMA link and it worked perfectly. Then I used the source browser to import it, first I got an error message saying that the file couldn't be imported into a bin, then I was asked if I wanted to link and consolidate it, clicked ok and once again it worked fine, though I'm not sure why I get the error message at first (I'm still new to Avid) ?

So seems like reimporting/relinking everything might be a solution though it's not ideal. What I don't understand though is since the problematic clips work fine in timeline and only show blending when rendering, why reimporting the clips makes a difference. I would've thought it had something to do with render settings rather than importing.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller