Latest post Fri, Apr 16 2021 4:17 PM by Pat Horridge. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 16 2021 12:37 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 196
    • Points 2,755

Re: Calling all ALE experts!

If anyone is interested in inspecting or testing my ALE files I have uploaded some to my server.

Most browsers will not recognise the .ALE extension so I have renamed these fiels as -txt - they must be renamed .ale to be able to be used.

http://www.adrianredmond.dk/ale/400579-079%20orig%20Chrome.txt
    This is an original 2000 vintage bin from Liquid silver, exported as ALE via Liquid Chrome

http://www.adrianredmond.dk/ale/400579-079%20reordered.txt
    This is how I would propose to edit the file before importing to Avid - reducing the columns to Name Tracks Tape Start End only

http://www.adrianredmond.dk/ale/500020-013%20from%20Avid.txt
    For comparison, I have exported a newer HDCAM bin that was logged and catured on this Avid system. This file has not been edited in any way.

None of the above can be imported to Avid.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Fri, Apr 16 2021 1:43 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:

I no longer have v.7 so I doubt if I can do this.

Do you still have your Liquid software operational on an older system capable of installing V7 of MC, including ALE ?

Did Liquid permit exporting an EDL? If so that would be a route to creating a 2021 MC Bin of masterclips, no?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 16 2021 1:52 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    If anyone is interested in inspecting or testing my ALE files I have uploaded some to my server.

All of yours ALE imported successfull without errors. Try drag n drop to bin that files.....

12 PCs HP Z6, 3 laptops Dell, HP Zbook G6, AVID MC 2018.12.x licensed, MC 2020.x trial [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 16 2021 2:31 PM In reply to

This isn't the only use of an ALE. I regularly need to update the contents of a bins clips with metadata from another editor who may have added additional columns etc. If I just used their bin I'd lose my metadata.

So I get them to export an ALE with the column headings I need active. I then import that ALE into my bin and it merges the metadata.

So in your case I'd create headings in my target bin named exactly as they are in your Liguid ALE export.

Have a few sample clips in the bin and do an ALE.

I would then graft your clips into the new ALE export and then import that ALE.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Apr 16 2021 3:09 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 196
    • Points 2,755

Solved!

Thanks to all - particularly Alexander for your help and tips and for confirmingh that my ALE fiels are OK.

The method of drag and drop from a file explorer windows direct to the required bin works perfectly.

Also one doesn't need to re-order the data columns - they will automatically be displayed in Avid according to the BIN setup you have chosen.

This was a tricky one which took me (and you) several days to solve - once I have got this moving I will write up the workflow so that the next editor to get stuck in this may have some help.

But the upshot of all this is that the import EDL function in Avid MC (at least 8.5.3) simply sucks.

Drag and drop is the way!

Thanks all - have a great weekend.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Fri, Apr 16 2021 3:54 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    But the upshot of all this is that the import EDL function in Avid MC (at least 8.5.3) simply sucks.

Are you basing your EDL opinion above on trying to import actual EDLs or on attempting to EDL-Import an ALE where the extension was changed?

Yes, THANK YOU, Alexander for the drag and drop tip!

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 16 2021 4:17 PM In reply to

I just imported all 3 of those ALE files straight into media Composer without any issues.

I used the import file method not drag and drop.

I can send you the bins if that helps?

I'm on 2021.3 (PC)

The original liquid ALE I had to change the project to 25i format to import but could then change back to 1080

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller