Latest post Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:41 PM by Zach Fine. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 12 2021 11:40 PM

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 42
    • Points 480

AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp quit unexpectedly (repeatedly)

It's a long story, but I would up having to install macOS Big Sur on my Mac Pro. Fortunately, the latest Media Composer supports Big Sur. Unfortunately, I've run into problems, one of which demands my attention every few seconds.

I installed macOS Big Sur v11.2.3, then downloaded Media_Composer_21.3.0_Mac.dmg, ran the Media Composer uninstaller from that disk image, and then installed Media Composer 21.3.0. I'm leaving all the required reboots out of this description, except to note that I question whether the uninstaller and installer could instead just use the tools for loading and unloading of kernel extensions and system extensions allowed by the OS. 

I launched Media Composer 21.3.0, and the first problem is that it dongles apparently don't function in Big Sur. Grumble grumble. I chose to run as a Trial so I'd have 30 days to figure out how to get my license activated. That brings me to the second and more immediately-disruptive problem.

Media Composer's project choosing window showed up, but was preempted by 4 error dialogs that popped to the foreground in a stack. I separated them for readability in the attached screenshot. These 4 applications that are part of the normal operation of Media Composer "quit unexpectedly". They are: AvidSearch, AvidBinIndexer, AvidPhoneticIndexer, AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp. I looked at the crash report for each (see 2nd screenshot), and all of them featured a line that makes it appear that they're trying to use "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WirelessDiagnostics.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libprotobuf.dylib", which is a nonexistent file.

Maybe there's a different copy of libprotobuf.dylib in the system that they're supposed to be using? Is there some magic incantation I need to run at the command line to tell these little applications where libprotobuf.dylib actually lives?

At this point, within seconds of dismissing the "AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp quit unexpectedly" error, it pops up again. This error continually pops up and steals focus, it's making it very difficult to get anything done. Hopefully someone else has experienced this problem and knows the solution/workaround. I've already done a full uninstall and reinstall of Media Composer, but that didn't solve it.

Thanks for any help or information.

Media Composer 2021.3 OS X 11.2.3 Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz 8-Core 128Gb RAM D700 GPU [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,551
    • Points 255,080
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp quit unexpectedly (repeatedly)

Zach,

Good to see you online but not that your having issues.  We are aware that there are dongle issues with Big Sur and some versions of the dongle.  Best to get a case going for you and have one of the techs reach out and provide a temp license while we figure out what might be your issue ....

There is a workaround reported to fix the dongle but I have not tried it yet.  If you ewant to, email me directly and I will send the steps.

As for the AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp error - your virus software is quarantining this as a virus when it is not.  This error came up a lot back in late 2020 and it turned out to be the virus software and when Most anti-virus programs were updating themselves they now correctly flag Media Composer 2020.10 updates as safe so if you has a recent virus software pack you should be fine.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:41 PM In reply to

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 42
    • Points 480

Re: AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp quit unexpectedly (repeatedly)

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for your response. I went ahead an switched over to a subscription plan but have a case going regarding crossgrading from a dongle (I think not an OS-related issue).

I'm not running any anti-virus software at the moment, so don't think that's the issue. I did recently go culling old kernel extensions so did another uninstall and reinstall of Media Composer but am still running into the same errors.

Media Composer 2021.3 OS X 11.2.3 Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz 8-Core 128Gb RAM D700 GPU [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller