Latest post Thu, Apr 15 2021 10:18 PM by Jason Sedmak. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 9 2021 8:55 PM

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York State
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,665

Importing from iPhone

I shoot many stills and some video on my iPhone 11.  When I import the mov files to media composer, I hear faint sound, but don't see a sound track.  Also, it seems to be 44000 rather than 48000.  Can anyone tell me how to do this so that I have the correct tracks to work with and can see them?

thanks,

marluc

DESKTOP: 27" iMac/3.5GHz Quad Core i7/ 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 8GB/1TBFlash Storage/NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB, running OS X 10.15.6 and MC Ultimate version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 10 2021 1:09 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,665

Re: Importing from iPhone

In other words, what is the best way to import both video and audio from iPhone 11?

Thanks,

marluc

DESKTOP: 27" iMac/3.5GHz Quad Core i7/ 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 8GB/1TBFlash Storage/NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB, running OS X 10.15.6 and MC Ultimate version... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 12 2021 7:49 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,665

Bump.  I know there muyst be an easy way to do this.  But I don't know what it is.  Please, somene.

marluc

• Tue, Apr 13 2021 3:33 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,665

OK, so I unlined it and Media Offline comes up.  Then what????

marluc

• Thu, Apr 15 2021 1:32 PM In reply to

marluc:

OK, so I unlined it and Media Offline comes up.  Then what????

marluc

Not sure what you're meaning here, but until Avid starts supporting the HEVC format better, you have two options:

1) Transcode your iPhone movies using a separate program (Resolve, Media Encoder) prior to linking in Avid, or:

2) Change your recording format in your iPhone settings. 

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC Ultimate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:22 PM In reply to

Can you send a short sample clip or upload it somewhere?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:23 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,665

Hi Pat, thanks for weighing in.  All I want to do is to separate iPhone audio and video in Media Composer.  I can import my .mov footage from iPhone 11 just tine.  It plays in the source monitor with both picture and sound. Fine. However, I do not see a separate audio track. 

Then, two things might happen:

1. If I create a sequence, I have picture only, but no sound. Again, only a video track.

2. If I try to use Unlink to separate audio and video into different tracks, I get Media Offline with no indication of what to do next.

Once, somehow, procedure #2 worked but I have been unable to recreate it.  Shouldn't this be simple?

Thaks for your help.

marluc

• Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:59 PM In reply to

Sounds like you're trying to edit interleaved audio to non interleaved sequence tracks, or vic-versa. 
    Either change your sequence audio track formats, or modify the master clip.

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC Ultimate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:03 PM In reply to

• marluc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York State
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,665

Jason - how would you do it, step by step?

marluc

• Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,551
    • Points 255,080
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marluc

One of the ways I do it as I sometimes get video from different iphone models is Install and run the iPhone Video to Avid Converter on your Mac, then click "Add Video" button to browse and load your recorded iPhone videos which you've transferred to your Mac. you can also use handbrake or Shutterencoder too.

Note: Batch conversion is supported, so you can load more than one file to save time. You can also combine all the files together with this software.

Select output format as DNxHD. You can directly choose the DNxHD preset from "Editing Software" category for Avid Media Composer which has been supplied by the MP4 to Avid Mac Converter. The settings also works for Avid MC 8, Avid MC 7, Avid MC 6 and Avid MC 5 etc.

By clicking the Settings icon, you can adjust video and audio parameters like codec, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate, etc., in that way, you can take charge of the size and quality of the output files. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.

Start to convert iPhone Video to Avid DNxHD As soon as all the above settings are completed, you can press "Convert" button to start conversion.

After conversion is done, simply click "Open" button to find generated DNxHD encoded MOV videos. Afterwards, you can transfer the converted iPhone clips into Avid Media Composer 5/5.5/6/6.5/7/8 for editing smoothly on Mac with ease.

You can also try it directly but it depsnds on the OS and what version of MC you have........  

email me.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 15 2021 10:18 PM In reply to

marluc:

Jason - how would you do it, step by step?

marluc

Well...

First, look at your source clip and see if they are interleaved stereo or not -- several ways to do that, but if you load one into the source side and look at the timeline track selectors, you'll see there's only one audio track with two little combined speakers on it.

If they are interleaved and you DON'T want that, go to the clip in the bin, right-click, select "Modify" then "Modify Clip..." and using the pulldown menu, select "Set MultichannelAudio." In that new window, you would deselect the green "link" to change an interleaved clip to dual mono, then hit okay. You don't have to "Unlink" anything to do this.

If they are interleaved and you DO want to keep them that way, in your timeline, add a stereo audio track. Many ways to do this, but I use the hotkey, shift-command-U. Once created, you will be able to edit your interleaved audio onto the timeline.

Reverse all of the proceedures if you don't have an interleaved clip but you only have interleaved tracks in your timeline.

Good luck,

j

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller