Latest post Sat, Apr 17 2021 7:38 PM by Jason Sedmak. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 3 2021 2:48 PM

I have been dealing with a very frustrating issue lately with relinking clips. I link my footage by using the source browser and then transcode to a proxy codec for easier editing and to save file space.  Everything goes well untill I finish editing and need to bring the sequence back to full res.  For whatever reason it always gives me a hard time relinking the clips back to the original camera negtives.  My work flow is as follows:

1. Link Footage through Source Browser
    2. Transcode to Proxy
    3. Edit
    4. Copy Sequence/Decompose Seqnence
    5. Relink to camera negatives files
    6. Export
    I know the files are in the correct folders becuase the individual clip settings match the folder structire of the video files location.   NOTE:  One way that I am able to get some clips to relink is by opening up the source browser and letting the avid scan the media files.  But I am trying to edit a feature with many folders and clip locations.  This is not practical and not 100% effective.  Please help! My System: Mac Mini (2018) i7 64gb Ram Mac OS: 10.14.6 Media Composer:  Version: 2021.3.0.55320.0

Media Files located on Network Drive

Mac Mini (2018) i7, 64GB Ram, 1TB SSD, MAC OS 10.14.6, Media Composer 2021.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 3 2021 5:53 PM In reply to

Re: Video Clips Will Not Relink!

I’m going to make a suggestion, but I am not at all sure it will work for you:

First: Take your Transcoded Media offline by the usual, non-destructive means. i.e. Add an extra word like this to your Folder(s): Avid MediaFiles_HOLD ...to defeat your transcoded MXFs, temporarily. 

Thats like doing a Decompose, but without Consolidating (copy & shortening) the sequence's clips into new .new clips.

Next, open MediaTool, set it to display ONLY Linked clips in the Drive(s) where your original, pre-transcoded Links to camera / footage resides. Select All. Drag those Linked clips to a New Bin.

Just the linked master clips. It makes a copy of the links.

From here, I suggest making a COPY of either your described Decomposed sequence... or even a COPY of your pre-Decomposed Sequence.

I may not be necessary, but I’d put that Sequence copy into the same new Bin, along with the copied MediaTool Links. Close MediaTool. Try Selectkng All in your Bin and look to Relink with the “Relink to Sekected” option to see if you get a sequence without any Media Offline.

What I’n not clear about is whether this AMA/Link >  “Relink to Sequence” will work (or can work) with an offline sequence comprised of Transcoded Links. (It likely depends on whether the initial Transcodes needed to have a change from the files’ FPS value in order to Transcode at all into your Project/setting). 

I do know that a Relink to Selected" does work from an offline sequence comprised of Consolidated Clips made from Links.

But in your case, I don’t think a tiny test, one or two clips, would harm much of anything... so try that, then live and learn. good luck.

It goes without saying: Be careful in MediaTool to NOT delete anything.

** You mentioned having “many folders” and having partial success after rescanning with Source Browser. I was wondering if your original files’ Source Paths had been changed, or are somehow at too deep a threshold inside too many Folders, that you had set up for organizational purposes? Perhaps that explains why some, but not all, of your clips will not Relink.  Maybe as a test, using the above approach, you could move the original containing folder of one of your un-Relinkable files to the very root level of its drive, then use Source Browser to pull a brand new AMA/Link, place it in the bin with your offline sequence, highlight them and see if it then responds well to the “Relink to Selected” option...

Other than that, did you recall seeing any “i” Alerts when you initially did your transcodes to proxy? 

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 3 2021 6:06 PM In reply to

Unfortunatly this does not work as the Media tool will not display any clips, even thoughg all my clips are on the drive I selected...

Mac Mini (2018) i7, 64GB Ram, 1TB SSD, MAC OS 10.14.6, Media Composer 2021.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 3 2021 6:22 PM In reply to

There are folks here that know this Relink process like the back of their hands...so expect other, better answers & approaches.

Take a look at this :

https://creativecow.net/forums/thread/relinking-proxy-footage/

Put your question there and you may receive expert advice....

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 3 2021 9:21 PM In reply to

Thank you, but it seems there is more going on here.  I have put in a support ticket to AVID.  Hopefully they can help shed soem lihght on the issue. 

In the past this was never an issue.  I just don't get whats wrong...

• Sun, Apr 4 2021 9:03 AM In reply to

If you have the original AMA linked clips in bins and those clips are still linked to their original source files so you can play that media.

You can do a relink to those selected open bins.

If those bins aren't available or the source media location is now different then you need to re AMA link the needed source clips to a fresh bin and then relink to that open bin. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Apr 6 2021 3:13 PM In reply to

You’re welcome. Good luck. Can’t tell from your reply though, whether you tried my suggestion of placing a test file in a folder at root level, but you are in good hands with support ticket. Also: were those files ever manipulated to change names using third party software? 

• Wed, Apr 7 2021 9:13 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 555
    • Points 6,875
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

My methodology, which worked 100% on a recent project was:

1. Set up Project in the same format as the camera media. Link camera cards into Project.

2. Enable proxy mode in Project Format settings, and transcode to Proxy - in my case 1/4 res DNxHR LB

3. Edit

4. Turn OFF proxy mode.

5. Open ALL the bins of linked clips.

6. Relink sequence to current format/ highest res

I found that steps 4 and 5 were crucial!

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 9 2021 2:51 AM In reply to

Thanks MikeyB, I’m gonna try to remember your #4. Good stuff.

• Wed, Apr 14 2021 2:02 PM In reply to

O/P;

Did u get it figured out?

j

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC Ultimate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 14 2021 2:09 PM In reply to

Unfortunatly, not yet.  Avid technical support is working on it trying to solve the porblem.  Event they are stumped...lol. Not a good sign.  Maybe they wiull fix it and release a new patch or something?  Who knows...

• Sat, Apr 17 2021 3:54 PM In reply to

OneDeloreon;

There's always a simple reason clips don't relink. Let's take it step by step (apologies if you know all this):
    But first, when you transcoded, did you preserve original frame rates? If not, then your transcoded clips would inherit the frame rate of your project and not the actual frame rate of the clips (assuming they were different). This would definitely cause problems. 
    If none of that is the case, then it's important to understand "how" the Avid is relinking (using the relink tool): either it's attempting to relink to managed media (in the Avid MediaFiles folder) or through clips you "show" it by changing the top bullet to "Selected Items open bins." Then, it looks for a match using two parameters that you specify in the middle of the relink tool window.  The first is timecode, and that pull down CAN be altered to different types, but usually (and in your case) you can leave that alone. The second pull down window in more flexible and it can be almost anything. It defaults to the metadata that it inherits from the clip, but you can change it to things like name, reel, source file, etc. These two fields are what Avid uses to find a match, and you tell it where to look by the top part of the window mentioned earlier. 
    Then, moving on down the relink tool window, you can tell it to filter out extensions (such as ".new") and/or "ignore characters after the last occurrence of...". Then, farther down, you even specify if you want to be more granular and only do video/audio/data, or attempt to link across differing rates. 

Now, it's not even necessary to unlink your sequence prior, especially if you use the "Relink to selected items in open bins." What you do is open any and all bins containing the linked clips you want to link your sequence to, highlight those clips (and only those clips) then right-click your sequence (has to be in a different bin) and go to the relink tool. Set it to "Selected items..." leave the timecode field alone, and change the second "match" parameter, along with the "ignore" filtering mentioned earlier. I usually use "Name" as I NEVER change my master clip names, but if YOU did, then you'll have to pick a parameter that your transcodes and your originals still have in common. You'll want to "ignore" extensions or "characters after" if you have things suffixes (which you likely do after a transcode). 

Believe me, this will work, and if it's not, then there's a simple reason why. I suggest doing a tiny test, take your original NON DECOMPOSED and still linked to proxies sequence, duplicate it, and move it to a fresh bin, and follow my steps (using just one bin of open and selected original camera files). Your decompose likely created suffixes and those in combination with any suffixes that might have been created when you transcoded might be the only reason it's not relinking. Again, if you DID change clip names, this may also be the cause, and you just need to find that "second" match criteria to get around that. 

One final tip, change the original clip's clip colors, then in your timeline settings, go to "show source clip colors" so you have a super easy way to spot successful relinks. 

Reach out with questions. 
    j

Custom, i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64+Radeon VII egpu, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.15.7. MC Ultimate... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 17 2021 4:21 PM In reply to

Oh, and one other note;

If your second "match" criteria isn't "Source File ID" but something like "Name" then you'll run into issues as well if you created groups/subclips because the "ignore extensions" or "last characters after..." doesn't like to filter out BOTH the clips you're linking to AND your master clips. 
    I'd need more details from you to help you around that if this is also your case.

• Sat, Apr 17 2021 7:06 PM In reply to

Hi Jayson,

Your explanations above are superb and I am seriously tempted to barge in to ask a few follow-ups, based on what is one of the most clear and detail-oriented explanations of Relinking tbat I can recall reading here. On behalf of all the perpetually-puzzled, partially un-Relinked people... thank you!

I will bookmark this or any other thread you elaborate further Relink tips on...

Wow!

Jason Sedmak:

OneDeloreon;

There's always a simple reason clips don't relink. Let's take it step by step (apologies if you know all this):
    But first, when you transcoded, did you preserve original frame rates? If not, then your transcoded clips would inherit the frame rate of your project and not the actual frame rate of the clips (assuming they were different). This would definitely cause problems. 
    If none of that is the case, then it's important to understand "how" the Avid is relinking (using the relink tool): either it's attempting to relink to managed media (in the Avid MediaFiles folder) or through clips you "show" it by changing the top bullet to "Selected Items open bins." Then, it looks for a match using two parameters that you specify in the middle of the relink tool window.  The first is timecode, and that pull down CAN be altered to different types, but usually (and in your case) you can leave that alone. The second pull down window in more flexible and it can be almost anything. It defaults to the metadata that it inherits from the clip, but you can change it to things like name, reel, source file, etc. These two fields are what Avid uses to find a match, and you tell it where to look by the top part of the window mentioned earlier. 
    Then, moving on down the relink tool window, you can tell it to filter out extensions (such as ".new") and/or "ignore characters after the last occurrence of...". Then, farther down, you even specify if you want to be more granular and only do video/audio/data, or attempt to link across differing rates. 

Now, it's not even necessary to unlink your sequence prior, especially if you use the "Relink to selected items in open bins." What you do is open any and all bins containing the linked clips you want to link your sequence to, highlight those clips (and only those clips) then right-click your sequence (has to be in a different bin) and go to the relink tool. Set it to "Selected items..." leave the timecode field alone, and change the second "match" parameter, along with the "ignore" filtering mentioned earlier. I usually use "Name" as I NEVER change my master clip names, but if YOU did, then you'll have to pick a parameter that your transcodes and your originals still have in common. You'll want to "ignore" extensions or "characters after" if you have things suffixes (which you likely do after a transcode). 

Believe me, this will work, and if it's not, then there's a simple reason why. I suggest doing a tiny test, take your original NON DECOMPOSED and still linked to proxies sequence, duplicate it, and move it to a fresh bin, and follow my steps (using just one bin of open and selected original camera files). Your decompose likely created suffixes and those in combination with any suffixes that might have been created when you transcoded might be the only reason it's not relinking. Again, if you DID change clip names, this may also be the cause, and you just need to find that "second" match criteria to get around that. 

One final tip, change the original clip's clip colors, then in your timeline settings, go to "show source clip colors" so you have a super easy way to spot successful relinks. 

Reach out with questions. 
    j

• Sat, Apr 17 2021 7:38 PM In reply to

That's very kind of you to say, hopefully it helps some people. 
    Best,

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller