Latest post Thu, Apr 1 2021 6:11 PM by Telegram!. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 30 2021 2:40 PM

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 4 2021
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

Link -> Transcode or Import -> Transcode?

Hi editors,

I have a new project to work on and I feel like AMA has a lot of problems a lot of the times. So should I be linking my footage and then transcoding or should I import my footage and then transcode it? What are the benefits of which? And the downsides?

As far as I know the only downside of importing the footage is that it creates less space on your computer. But with linking it creates a bunch of problems. Let me know what you think. I don't mind if I create less space on my computer by importing. 

Operating System: Windows 10

Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

• Tue, Mar 30 2021 3:33 PM In reply to

Re: Link -> Transcode or Import -> Transcode?

The advantages of Link vs Link & Transcode vs.  Import are MC concepts you will need to be well versed in, to edit for others in your upcoming career. I suggest you look at it all as a learning opportunity and remember that there are many customers that need one method over another.... I suggest not referring to this method as a “problem”....it is not that,  for many.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 30 2021 3:37 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

Telegram!:

The advantages of Link vs Link & Transcode vs.  Import are MC concepts you will need to be well versed in, to edit for others in your upcoming career. I suggest you look at it all as a learning opportunity and remember that there are many customers that need one method over another.... I suggest not referring to this method as a “problem”....it is not that,  for many.

Alright. I just read a lot of people mentoining linking can give problems, especially if you don't transcode the clips. Do you have any articles/websites/youtube videos explaining what the advantages are of the two?

• Tue, Mar 30 2021 3:54 PM In reply to

I can’t think of any specific videos, sorry. I guess if it were me, I would Google it and certainly start organizing the study of MC, in general. For a paid service, Lynda via Linked-In can be great. But there are many free videos. You will find plenty of search hits if you use “AMA” among your search terms. I do suggest reading a document about AMA that began as a pdf from over a decade ago... it has detailed, original info you may eventually refer to often... even as MC continues to adapt and change with technology.

http://www.paul-sampson.ca/

http://www.paul-sampson.ca/MyWebSiteStuff/PDF/AMA%20MASTER%20GUIDE.pdf

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 30 2021 4:00 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

Thank you very much

• Tue, Mar 30 2021 4:05 PM In reply to

You’re welcome. I just revised the links, above. It’s people like that author who make Avid MC the best pro choice...but it is work to learn it all.

• Tue, Mar 30 2021 4:24 PM In reply to

Jimme:
    I feel like AMA has a lot of problems a lot of the times.

To playback linked footage, especially if you're making a complex sequence, requires a powerful computer with fast storage.

Jimme:
    So should I be linking my footage and then transcoding or should I import my footage and then transcode it?

1. The choices are link & transcode or import. Both the transcode and the import create Avid media at whatever resolution you choose, so if you import there's no need to then transcode.

2. Link & transcode is faster than importing because it was added to the software more recently, and takes advantage of the capabilities of newer processors.

Jimme:
    As far as I know the only downside of importing the footage is that it creates less space on your computer.

If you link & transcode you're creating Avid media, and if you're importing you're creating Avid media. Assuming you're using the same resolution for both, the result is the same, and should take the same amount of space.

Personally, I prefer linking & transcoding, as it's faster than importing.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 30 2021 4:29 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

Yeah I came to the same realisation just a few minutes ago when I looked at the import tab. Thanks for the info. 

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 11:18 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,269
    • Points 16,150
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi Jimme.

The "Import" function was the original method of importing non-tape media into an Avid. 

AMA was designed many years later, initially as a means of simply previewing media inside of Media Composer... much like having a QuickTime Player inside of the app. However it offered the development team many great options beyond that, like transcoding. So it quickly became a good second method of importing that they focused their efforts on.

Today as aresault of their efforts, AMA Linking has some benefits over classic Importing:

- Both Transcode and Import will give you a finished clip that is DNxHD SQ or whatever resolution you wish. However doing it via Transcode takes around 1/3 of the time. This is a great benefit if you have hours and hours of clips.

- AMA Linking allows you to quickly identify which clips you do NOT want to bother bringing into the Avid. you know, those times in your documentary where the videographer hit the record button and all you see are his feet walking back to the van. ;) 

- The ability to apply LUTs, different frame croppings and sizes BEFORE you transcode.

Now... Also know that there are drawbacks to AMA Linking and Transcoding:

- The classic offline/online process is hindered. If you need to batch-import clips later on, the classic Import function actually does a better job at allowing you to only batch-import certain moments within a longer clip. The AMA process can do it "fine", but requires more thought and work.

- The process of transcoding introduces the problem of "orphaned" clips. This means if you transcode a clip, and then someow your original AMA-Linked clip goes missing, there is no way to redo the process with the clip you have. You need to redo everything from scratch.

- AMA Linking is wonderful on Macs, but because Windows uses Drive Letters to label all hard drives attached to it, you quite often have media that goes offline if you are unplugging drives, hopping from one project to another, and then come back with your original drives but Windoes assigns them different drive letters. *Note that this has gotten better in recent years, but is still not perfect. On Windows machines, I find myself re-AMA-Linking much too often.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately the entire process of AMA-Linking and transcoding isn't ione that can be explained easily in a few YouTube videos. You'll learn it best simply by trying, failing, trying, failing, trying and finally succeeding. I can't stress enough the need to either learn it via this trial-and-error method, or to go to a local trade school that teaches courses.

Many systems. Windows 7, Windows 10, and all flavors of macOS. Juts assume I'm running everything ;) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 11:28 AM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

Pixel Monkey:

Hi Jimme.

The "Import" function was the original method of importing non-tape media into an Avid. 

AMA was designed many years later, initially as a means of simply previewing media inside of Media Composer... much like having a QuickTime Player inside of the app. However it offered the development team many great options beyond that, like transcoding. So it quickly became a good second method of importing that they focused their efforts on.

Today as aresault of their efforts, AMA Linking has some benefits over classic Importing:

- Both Transcode and Import will give you a finished clip that is DNxHD SQ or whatever resolution you wish. However doing it via Transcode takes around 1/3 of the time. This is a great benefit if you have hours and hours of clips.

- AMA Linking allows you to quickly identify which clips you do NOT want to bother bringing into the Avid. you know, those times in your documentary where the videographer hit the record button and all you see are his feet walking back to the van. ;) 

- The ability to apply LUTs, different frame croppings and sizes BEFORE you transcode.

Now... Also know that there are drawbacks to AMA Linking and Transcoding:

- The classic offline/online process is hindered. If you need to batch-import clips later on, the classic Import function actually does a better job at allowing you to only batch-import certain moments within a longer clip. The AMA process can do it "fine", but requires more thought and work.

- The process of transcoding introduces the problem of "orphaned" clips. This means if you transcode a clip, and then someow your original AMA-Linked clip goes missing, there is no way to redo the process with the clip you have. You need to redo everything from scratch.

- AMA Linking is wonderful on Macs, but because Windows uses Drive Letters to label all hard drives attached to it, you quite often have media that goes offline if you are unplugging drives, hopping from one project to another, and then come back with your original drives but Windoes assigns them different drive letters. *Note that this has gotten better in recent years, but is still not perfect. On Windows machines, I find myself re-AMA-Linking much too often.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately the entire process of AMA-Linking and transcoding isn't ione that can be explained easily in a few YouTube videos. You'll learn it best simply by trying, failing, trying, failing, trying and finally succeeding. I can't stress enough the need to either learn it via this trial-and-error method, or to go to a local trade school that teaches courses.

Thanks a bunch! That's good information. Definitely just gonna stick with AMA Linking -> Transocding for now, since I am not working in any teams or big projects. 

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 3:02 PM In reply to

Worth noting that sources that have been imported have to be batch re0imported at the conform and the whole clip has to be imported at finishing resolution.

If source clips are AMA linked then at the conform they can just be re-linked to the sources and only the media used in the timeline needs to be transcoded to finishing quality media.

This makes a linking conform way faster than a batch importing conform in my experience.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Apr 1 2021 6:11 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Worth noting that sources that have been imported have to be batch re0imported at the conform and the whole clip has to be imported at finishing resolution.

If source clips are AMA linked then at the conform they can just be re-linked to the sources and only the media used in the timeline needs to be transcoded to finishing quality media.

This makes a linking conform way faster than a batch importing conform in my experience.

Pat, Jimme, and All:

This has been a great topic, with so much great info. We know there are numerous workflows and that does make it difficult to explain everything.

Can I bring up a question about these two 'i" Alerts?

The first can appear after AMA linking, but before Transcoding.  I eventually learned to always check the FPS of an intended AMA/Link File, in Source Browser, to see what I'm about to be dealing with.

But what needs to be considered for a planned "re-link to sources" conform? Does that "i" Alert's  warnings aboutBatch Import also mean there will be difficulties doing an Output or "Link to Sources" conform? What's the best practice here, if there is one?

The "i" Alert below is another MC curiosity. Seen at time of a sequence Consolidation, what does it mean for an eventual  intended Output or if necessary, a "Linked Source" conform?

Sorry for this minor AMA >> Transcode side-topic, but these are exactly the kinds of "i" Alerts that always have me scratching my head... and this seemed like a good time to ask.

Archived answers on this topic, from Pat and others...

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/135759.aspx

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/101228.aspx

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/196511.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller