Latest post Fri, Jul 23 2021 10:12 PM by Philip Kapadia. 60 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:16 AM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 31 2006
    • Poland
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,870

Re: Avid background services do not work...

See how long this discussion and research work takes to get out of the situation.
    I installed Avid a long time ago and everything was fine. Until then suddenly the backround stopped working and despite many attempts to install new upgrades, I was never able to start it again. End, period.
    After changing my computer and installing Avid, everything started working.
    I do an automatic incremental backup and when something stops working I go back to the previous version and that's it. It takes 10 minutes.
    And for a forum, the discussion has been going on for a month without any visible effect.
    Maybe it is too simple a solution, but it works. I have recommended it many times, but the discussion continues.
    The best solution is, of course, how the system and working files and the project are on separate disks synchronized automatically, e.g. every half hour.

Zbigniew

HP Z8 G4, 2xXeon-6246R, 128 GB RAM, Win 10 Ultimate, MC 2020.12, Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, Boris Red 5.6, BCC 14.01, Saphire 14.01, Adobe CC, TMPGenc [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:24 AM In reply to

Hi Philip,

During the timeslot of this log, today 01:11 - 10:38 no jobs were processed.

Please upload one of the logs during which you attempted to do a background render or transcode.

Jeroen

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:28 AM In reply to

ZFigas:

See how long this discussion and research work takes to get out of the situation.
    I installed Avid a long time ago and everything was fine. Until then suddenly the backround stopped working and despite many attempts to install new upgrades, I was never able to start it again. End, period.
    After changing my computer and installing Avid, everything started working.
    I do an automatic incremental backup and when something stops working I go back to the previous version and that's it. It takes 10 minutes.
    And for a forum, the discussion has been going on for a month without any visible effect.
    Maybe it is too simple a solution, but it works. I have recommended it many times, but the discussion continues.
    The best solution is, of course, how the system and working files and the project are on separate disks synchronized automatically, e.g. every half hour.

Zbigniew

Yeah, it has been going on for a long time now. 

I can't do a full windows restore as I'm in the middle of a few projects at the moment. I would say though, that I have done a full reinstall of my operating system and avid media composer in the past, and on this system, I've never had background services run successfully... ever. 

I'm just seeing what can be done here and calling on the expertise of the people on this forum, and I really appreciate the responses and the help I've got from everyone on this thread. If there is a solution, people looking for a fix in the future will find this thread. 

If there's nothing that can be done to rectify this issue, I don't have a choice, but the point is I'm reporting it and I've made a support case about this in the past so I'm hoping this will be fixed in a future release.. if it is a bug. 

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:31 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi Philip,

Please upload one of the logs during which you attempted to do a background render or transcode.

Jeroen

Interesting, I re-created the error and that was the latest log in that directory, I sorted the files by date and time. Let me try again... 

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:35 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi Philip,

Jeroen

I found this in one of the logs (about half way down)

Here is a link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuM_1GfYmv5NgRHxQ0MzGjxp2uom?e=W1wJeQ

It's the latest log that has been created after I recreate the error.

I have no idea what any of this means, I've never read or written any sort of code.

iBatchID: B1619693630970

iService: com.avid.dms.transcodeservice

iPriority: 50

iState: 2

iProvider: Avid Editor Transcode

iPreferredProvider: 

iConsumer: 

iUser: Administrator

iName: 01_CUT_V1,Resize,1

iIgnoreResults: true

iStartTime: Thu Apr 29 11:53:52 BST 2021

iSubmitTime: Thu Apr 29 11:53:50 BST 2021

iStateTime: Thu Apr 29 11:53:52 BST 2021

iCompleteTime: Thu Apr 29 11:54:37 BST 2021

iStatus: (JobStatus toString) NAME: "Error" Detail "Unknown Error has occurred and please retry the job" PercentDone "0.0" MilliSecsLeft "0" ItemsDone "0" TotalItems "1"

iErr: Unknown Error has occurred and please retry the job

iNotify: Subclass should override this!

iProfileName: 01_CUT_V1,Resize,1 | Thu Apr 29 11:53:50 2021 (Editor Render)

,result=There are 1 parameters in this list.

Parameter Name: Result

Parameter Value: 

Parameter UI Name: 

Parameter UI Desc.: null

Parameter Required: No

Parameter Type: Parameter Type: Unicode String (based on STRING)

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:47 AM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Poland
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,870

Hi,

I understand that. You have a specific situation and you are trying to solve it. I have never succeeded.
    I presented my way of working. I will try to develop it further. Maybe someone will benefit.
    I have a separate disk for the system only.
    I have Avid Projects, Sources, Avid Media Files, etc., etc on other drives, so restore has no effect on open projects.
    Therefore, when something stops working for me, I only restore the system, I have all projects unchanged.

I have a very extensive synchronization system for all disks. In addition to backup, I automatically synchronize all drives every 30 minutes to an external drive, so whatever doesn't work for me, I can only lose these 30 minutes. This synchronization (GoodSync) takes fractions of a second and is completely unnoticeable in my work.
    I wish you good luck, but when reinstalling the system, think about it.

Zbigniew

HP Z8 G4, 2xXeon-6246R, 128 GB RAM, Win 10 Ultimate, MC 2020.12, Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, Boris Red 5.6, BCC 14.01, Saphire 14.01, Adobe CC, TMPGenc [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 29 2021 11:59 AM In reply to

ZFigas:

Hi,

I understand that. You have a specific situation and you are trying to solve it. I have never succeeded.
    I presented my way of working. I will try to develop it further. Maybe someone will benefit.
    I have a separate disk for the system only.
    I have Avid Projects, Sources, Avid Media Files, etc., etc on other drives, so restore has no effect on open projects.
    Therefore, when something stops working for me, I only restore the system, I have all projects unchanged.

I have a very extensive synchronization system for all disks. In addition to backup, I automatically synchronize all drives every 30 minutes to an external drive, so whatever doesn't work for me, I can only lose these 30 minutes. This synchronization (GoodSync) takes fractions of a second and is completely unnoticeable in my work.
    I wish you good luck, but when reinstalling the system, think about it.

Zbigniew

Cześć Zbigniew, 

I have my system setup this way:

C: Drive - Only for operating system 

G: Drive - Only for Program files

D: Drive - SSD for small projects where I'm editing in high res

E: Drive - 8TB HDD for large projects where I'm editing in low res proxy formats 

I have everything segregated into different drives with backups ofcourse :)

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 12:17 PM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Poland
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,870

Hello,

Cool, I have OS and Program Files on my C: \ drive, so restore does everything for me.
    Since SSDs are cheap at the moment, I have everything on such disks and I have archiving and synchronizing disks on the external WD My Book Duo (20 TB) and in the home cloud (WD My Cloud). I have complete silence in my room because this WD works completely noiselessly.
    Zbigniew

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 12:29 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

E: Drive - 8TB HDD for large projects where I'm editing in low res proxy formats 

Hi Philip, So I had a look at those logs. Avid support is much more capable of understanding them then I do. Google also didn't gave any results when searching through avid's knowledge base and this forum.

It says:

23655 2021.04.29 11:53:52:312 INFO DefaultFileSystemWithRetry::read start desktop-au1e6qc
    23656 2021.04.29 11:53:52:313 INFO RetryOperation on class com.avid.dms.utils.algorithm.DefaultFileSystemWithRetry$3 failed and retrying in 300 milliseconds, TimeInterval=3 desktop-au1e6qc
    23657 2021.04.29 11:53:52:615 INFO RetryOperation on class com.avid.dms.utils.algorithm.DefaultFileSystemWithRetry$3 failed and retrying in 500 milliseconds, TimeInterval=5 desktop-au1e6qc
    23658 2021.04.29 11:53:53:126 INFO return state=1, _lastErrorString=,ResultString= desktop-au1e6qc

followed eventually by 

23696 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO Read State=6 from C:\ProgramData\Avid\Avid Interplay Transcode\output.txt desktop-au1e6qc
    23697 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO Read from C:\ProgramData\Avid\Avid Interplay Transcode\output.txt desktop-au1e6qc
    23698 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO Read JobID=1619693630970.1 from C:\ProgramData\Avid\Avid Interplay Transcode\output.txt desktop-au1e6qc
    23699 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO found jobID=1619693630970.1 desktop-au1e6qc
    23700 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO return state=6, _lastErrorString=Unknown Error has occurred and please retry the job,ResultString=null desktop-au1e6qc

So I my best guess would be a user access problem on one either the C or D drive or on a folder level. Are you an administrator on your pc? Is either of your drives external or has it been used in another PC or have you ever re-installed windows on this machine while the G, D and E drive already had data on them?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 1:00 PM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Poland
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,870

Hello,

This is my private computer at home (Avid is my hobby).
    I have a private network at home.
    Generally it looks like this?
    C: \ 1 TB, SSD M.2, Windows 10, Program Files etc.
    D: \ 4 TB, SSD, Avid Sources, Avid Projects, vector maps,
    E: \ 8 TB, SSD, Avid Media Files,
    F: \ 20 TB, WD Book Duo (USB3), for disk sync,
    G: \ 2 TB, SSD M2, only for Export Files from Avid (ProRes),
    H: \ 1 TB, SSD M2, library with music, graphics, programs,
    I: \ 1 TB, OS backups, finally export by TMPGENC,
    j: \ and K: \ 2x SSD M2 for non-Avid operation,
    Y: \ 28 TB, WD My Cloud 28 TB, Private Cloud,

I mentioned that I have everything synchronized with GoodSync in my opinion, a great program that provides me with complete security. I mentioned that it all syncs every 30 minutes, but this is an added security feature.
    Running restore doesn't waste a minute on my Avis projects.

Zbigniew

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 1:07 PM In reply to

• ZFigas
    • Not Ranked
    • Poland
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,870

Sorry Jeroen misunderstood your last post I thought it was for me.

Zbigniew

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 1:21 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Philip Kapadia:

Hi Philip, So I had a look at those logs. Avid support is much more capable of understanding them then I do. Google also didn't gave any results when searching through avid's knowledge base and this forum.

It says:

23655 2021.04.29 11:53:52:312 INFO DefaultFileSystemWithRetry::read start desktop-au1e6qc
    23656 2021.04.29 11:53:52:313 INFO RetryOperation on class com.avid.dms.utils.algorithm.DefaultFileSystemWithRetry$3 failed and retrying in 300 milliseconds, TimeInterval=3 desktop-au1e6qc
    23657 2021.04.29 11:53:52:615 INFO RetryOperation on class com.avid.dms.utils.algorithm.DefaultFileSystemWithRetry$3 failed and retrying in 500 milliseconds, TimeInterval=5 desktop-au1e6qc
    23658 2021.04.29 11:53:53:126 INFO return state=1, _lastErrorString=,ResultString= desktop-au1e6qc

followed eventually by 

23696 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO Read State=6 from C:\ProgramData\Avid\Avid Interplay Transcode\output.txt desktop-au1e6qc
    23697 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO Read from C:\ProgramData\Avid\Avid Interplay Transcode\output.txt desktop-au1e6qc
    23698 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO Read JobID=1619693630970.1 from C:\ProgramData\Avid\Avid Interplay Transcode\output.txt desktop-au1e6qc
    23699 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO found jobID=1619693630970.1 desktop-au1e6qc
    23700 2021.04.29 11:54:37:986 INFO return state=6, _lastErrorString=Unknown Error has occurred and please retry the job,ResultString=null desktop-au1e6qc

So I my best guess would be a user access problem on one either the C or D drive or on a folder level. Are you an administrator on your pc? Is either of your drives external or has it been used in another PC or have you ever re-installed windows on this machine while the G, D and E drive already had data on them?

Woah, thanks again for looking through all of that. 

I am the admin of this system,

For this particular project:

SSD C: Drive: Windows

SSD G: Drive: Program files

SSD D: Drive: Avid Media Files

All my drives are internal, They've never been used on any other system other than this one.

About a year ago, I re-installed windows on this system. I remember formating the drives and re-installing everything. 

Just so I understand what you're trying to say, maybe the transcode service doesn't have perms to do something?

If we can't figure this out, I'll start another support case with this info. Last time they were not able to help me because my system isn't supported. 

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 1:24 PM In reply to

ZFigas:

Hello,

This is my private computer at home (Avid is my hobby).
    I have a private network at home.
    Generally it looks like this?
    C: \ 1 TB, SSD M.2, Windows 10, Program Files etc.
    D: \ 4 TB, SSD, Avid Sources, Avid Projects, vector maps,
    E: \ 8 TB, SSD, Avid Media Files,
    F: \ 20 TB, WD Book Duo (USB3), for disk sync,
    G: \ 2 TB, SSD M2, only for Export Files from Avid (ProRes),
    H: \ 1 TB, SSD M2, library with music, graphics, programs,
    I: \ 1 TB, OS backups, finally export by TMPGENC,
    j: \ and K: \ 2x SSD M2 for non-Avid operation,
    Y: \ 28 TB, WD My Cloud 28 TB, Private Cloud,

I mentioned that I have everything synchronized with GoodSync in my opinion, a great program that provides me with complete security. I mentioned that it all syncs every 30 minutes, but this is an added security feature.
    Running restore doesn't waste a minute on my Avis projects.

Zbigniew

Don't worry, very interesting.. That's a lot of drives OwO

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 2:29 PM In reply to

Hi Philip,

Can you check if you have this folder and anything in it?

D:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\__bg.1

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Apr 29 2021 2:53 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi Philip,

Can you check if you have this folder and anything in it?

D:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\__bg.1

I've attached a zip to that folder, It's only the two database files and a creating folder, no MXF media anywhere.

Out of interest how does background rendering work, after it finishes rendering/transcoding does media get copied to the '1' folder in Avid Media Files, or does it always stay under _bg.1 ?

Page 3 of 5 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller