Latest post Thu, Jul 15 2021 6:46 PM by camoscato. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 16 2021 7:05 AM

• J. Seibel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 18 2013
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 375
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

File Format "your file" is not supported for import

I have GFX files that have previously been imported by another editor.  He has imported them and is editing with them.  He has given me a bin and I'm trying to batch re-import these same GFX files, but i get that error.  even simply importing gives that error.  The files are mov, mp4, png.  Many of the codecs are apple prores 4444.  

Avid 2021.2 - 2016 MBP Big Sur 11.2.3

• Tue, Mar 16 2021 8:10 AM In reply to

Re: File Format "your file" is not supported for import

With Mac OS from Catalina on (your on Big Sur) Apple have removed Quicktime support so your OS has no native QT library for MC to use.

In my teaching I've deprecated import to legacy workflows or formats and now only teach AMA linking as the ingest method which is much more flexible and saves time at the conform.

You could try AMA linking the source files in and then relinking the sequence to that selected bin of linked clips.

Or get a copy of the other editors AvidMedia Files (that have already been imported)

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Mar 16 2021 5:48 PM In reply to

• J. Seibel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 18 2013
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 375
      Avid Certified User

I have quicktime on here and i can play these files.  Relinking doesn't work because there aren't tape names on these files because they are GFX.  I also can't convert because i need the alpha on these GFX.  GFX company would need to re-export, but that's not an option.

So in Catalina and Big Sur you can't import a quicktime file in Avid?  This is ridiculous.  

• Tue, Mar 16 2021 7:02 PM In reply to

J. Seibel:
    So in Catalina and Big Sur you can't import a quicktime file in Avid?

Yes. There are more details under 'macOS Catalina support' in this document:

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v20.4.pdf

(It says it's for v2020.4, but the same information applies to all later versions of Media Composer running under Catalina or any later macOS.)

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, May 15 2021 8:14 PM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,335

Hey J,

Did you have to get the GFX house to re render the files for you? I'm in the same situation at you now. Crazy really.

• Sun, May 16 2021 3:41 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 574
    • Points 7,155
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I share your frustration with this!

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 16 2021 4:59 PM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,335

Had some film fx elements with alpha channel that I had to convert to DNxHR, I used shutter encoder but didn't preserve the alpha. Then used a composite mode in Avid (Sapphire / Boris) to reapply the alpha. 

I could use AE and convert all of them to preserve the alpha but that means setting aside time I don't have right now. 

• Thu, Jul 15 2021 3:43 PM In reply to

Same issue here on PC. I´m using 2018.12.10 because I don´t like the new interface and all the new problems it brings, so I stick with my perpetual license and found this 2018 version workable in general.

Now more and more errors, weird behaviours and bugs emerge that would possibly be "fixed" in future releases, which of course I´m no more privy to, and in my experience, these issues are not very likely to get fixed without introducing a bunch of others.

That´s the problem when each release still has old bugs, plus new version-specific bugs, plus bugs you haven´t heard of yet.

The banana principle: it ripens with the customer. Only, with avid, it never does.

It does nothing positive to my still growing frustration with Avid.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 15 2021 3:52 PM In reply to

What might help is renaming the files. Long filenames seem to give problems. Not nice if you need to relink but better than buying a new nle.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 15 2021 4:23 PM In reply to

Let me present you with my Avid workflow for solving this problem:

Open DaVinci Resolve. Re-encode. Open Avid. Import.

• Thu, Jul 15 2021 6:46 PM In reply to

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Erichsen:
    Same issue here on PC.

Although you may be having an issue, if you're on a PC it's definitely not the same as the Mac/Catalina/32-bit problem. 

You should post details of your problem in the PC forum. This is not the place for it.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller