Latest post Wed, Mar 10 2021 4:21 PM by Jim Marshall. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 9 2021 4:22 PM

Keyboard command to specify exact clip duration?

I'm moving from FCP to MC. FCP uses Ctrl-D to change a clip in the timeline to an exact duration, seconds:frames etc. Does MC have an equivalent keyboard command to set the exact duration of a clip?

If not, and if Ctrl-D is not already taken, may I suggest giving Ctrl-D the same function in MC?

Media Composer 2021.3.0; 2020 iMac 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB RAM, 27" Retina 5K, AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB; macOS Big Sur (always the most recent... [view my complete system specs]

-- Jim

• Tue, Mar 9 2021 4:41 PM In reply to

Re: Keyboard command to specify exact clip duration?

I've never used FCP. How does it work? Say your clip in the sequence is currently 5s 17f, and you invoke the command to make the clip 3s 10f. Would the entire sequence get shorter, or would there be a blank hole where the rest of the clip used to be? Similarly, if you changed a clip from 5s 17f to 18s 10f, would it overwrite anything that was in the sequence after it, or would it push everything down so the timeline was longer?

Media Composer 2021.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 9 2021 4:59 PM In reply to

Hi.

Never used FC but I think you are looking fro Replace edit, not sure but give a try,.

APlease, don´t use MC as FC. Same goals different tools.

cj

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

Christian Jhonson

Avid Ambassador                                 

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Wed, Mar 10 2021 4:21 PM In reply to

camoscato:

How does it work?

Good question! It wouldn't work well at all. I completely forgot about sync issues because for my current project I am putting all the video in before any audio goes in. I need to remember that the track approach in MC is very different from how FCP works. That and everything it entails is the biggest part of my learning curve.

Media Composer 2021.3.0; 2020 iMac 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB RAM, 27" Retina 5K, AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB; macOS Big Sur (always the most recent... [view my complete system specs]

-- Jim

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller