Latest post Thu, Mar 11 2021 2:59 PM by Philip Kapadia. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 6 2021 4:30 PM

Way to find out what AVID are working on

Hi,

Is there a place where I can see what features avid are developing? I would be very interested in that.

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 6 2021 5:55 PM In reply to

Re: Way to find out what AVID are working on

Join the beta program? Get a job at Avid? For either of those, send an email to Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).  He is Avid's customer advocate, and can help you.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 1:08 AM In reply to

camoscato:

Join the beta program? Get a job at Avid? For either of those, send an email to Raff Condalor (raff.condalor@avid.com).  He is Avid's customer advocate, and can help you.

Thanks Camoscato, I was looking more for like a landing page with a list of feature they're working on.

I'll look into joining the beta program, Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 5:14 AM In reply to

The Avid Customer Association also influences the future direction of Media Composer. Maybe that'd be what you're looking for:

https://www.avid.com/avidcustomerassociation

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:22 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 615
    • Points 7,845

Philip, rather than worry what new features are coming I would concentrate on what we have now and enjoy using the finest NLE there is, in its most stable recent incarnation. I was a member of the beta programme for quite a while but the ongoing committent to fast turnaround post production made it nearly impossible to continue comittment. As Camoscato said the ACA is a good alternative to have a voice and sometimes see what's in the pipeline without having to commit to a test rig that can take timeout of a busy schedule.

I see a lot of people, not you necessarily :), here and elsewhere constantly hanging on to the latest bug and feature updates on forums when most busy pros are simply working stable older systems to death day in day out. I'm amazed by what Avid have added to MC in the last few years but until something new and spetacular arises in the world of formats and production I think it pretty much covers all bases. Bugs however always need a watchful eye ;)

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2021 12:58 PM In reply to

I would have a look at what the ACA has to offer. While it did not meet my expectations it is the best place to monitor and influence the future of Avid products. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 2:02 PM In reply to

Mercer:

Philip, rather than worry what new features are coming I would concentrate on what we have now and enjoy using the finest NLE there is, in its most stable recent incarnation. I was a member of the beta programme for quite a while but the ongoing committent to fast turnaround post production made it nearly impossible to continue comittment. As Camoscato said the ACA is a good alternative to have a voice and sometimes see what's in the pipeline without having to commit to a test rig that can take timeout of a busy schedule.

I see a lot of people, not you necessarily :), here and elsewhere constantly hanging on to the latest bug and feature updates on forums when most busy pros are simply working stable older systems to death day in day out. I'm amazed by what Avid have added to MC in the last few years but until something new and spetacular arises in the world of formats and production I think it pretty much covers all bases. Bugs however always need a watchful eye ;)

Hi Mercer,

I'm assuming you work offline on long-form projects, I don't. I use avid to cut music videos and shorter form content. It would be completely impractical for me to use avid without the latest features: MP4 UME export, HEVC support, new interface etc. For someone like you which I assume does all their encoding in adobe media encoder, mixes in pro tools, grades and exports in resolve or flame - That's fine, You could be using media composer 5.5.5 and there wouldn't be an issue.  but for someone like me who does everything in avid from ingest, online to export - I need these latest features because they save me literally hours in my particular workflow. I guess that's why I usually keep my system up to date - I'm excited about these new features that'll save me so much time!

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 2:04 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

I would have a look at what the ACA has to offer. While it did not meet my expectations it is the best place to monitor and influence the future of Avid products. 

Thanks for your input. Could you expand on why it didn't meet your expectations? 

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 3:10 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 615
    • Points 7,845

Philip, I don't use AME and I cut everything from long form to short form, and I have cut many pop promos over the years too. I online and offline in both HD and up to quite complex 4K and none of those things you mention are currently a problem in Avid for me and I work to, more often than I would like, very tight deadlines, like many of us here. I supplement Avid with Da Vinci Resolve Studio, nothing more. I use a couple of free tools if they don't cover encoding.

If you'll forgive me, from what I gather from your posts you are quite a young man, starting out on I'm sure on a great career Smile but I seriously doubt if I don't find much lacking, then you will either. But I cannot say you are wrong to be simply very interested in new features, around the corner. Encoding speed is more about the power of your hardware and you may find looking at Resolve Studio to cover anything you find lacking in Avid, in that regard, useful. Good luck.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2021 3:18 PM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:
    Could you expand on why it didn't meet your expectations?

Sure, at the time the ACA was introduced previous Avid management found it was a good strategy to put all communities, association, social media, etc... under the marketing department. As discussing Avid internal policies are not allowed I will not go into who, why and how (if I would have such knowledge to share).

My perception of the information provided by Avid and some of the participants was like joining a sales meeting where critical voices felt like 'this is not the time for..'. The focus was on new features, not fixing outstanding problems. And that might be what you are looking for.

While I can understand and respect Avid's choices and I'm still an ACA member, I prefer to put some of my free time into these forums.  

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 4:36 PM In reply to

Mercer:

Philip, I don't use AME and I cut everything from long form to short form, and I have cut many pop promos over the years too. I online and offline in both HD and up to quite complex 4K and none of those things you mention are currently a problem in Avid for me and I work to, more often than I would like, very tight deadlines, like many of us here. I supplement Avid with Da Vinci Resolve Studio, nothing more. I use a couple of free tools if they don't cover encoding.

If you'll forgive me, from what I gather from your posts you are quite a young man, starting out on I'm sure on a great career Smile but I seriously doubt if I don't find much lacking, then you will either. But I cannot say you are wrong to be simply very interested in new features, around the corner. Encoding speed is more about the power of your hardware and you may find looking at Resolve Studio to cover anything you find lacking in Avid, in that regard, useful. Good luck.

So I think this all depends on your workflow, what you're shooting in etc etc. A lot of clients send me HEVC footage from iPhones as amateur video footage and it saves me so much time to just link and transcode that footage all within avid. Something you're not able to do in the stable 2018 versions. When exporting my timelines, my clients don't have avid systems so they request h.264 previews. Rather than using the slow (and unstable) QuickTime engine to export my timeline, I use UME. These are just a couple of features that save me time. I haven't even mentioned bulk edit, or find and replace. 

I'm not particularly keen on Davinci Resolve, as firstly I don't really want to learn another complex NLE, but more importantly I can't work with the free version on some of my 4k and 6k projects without paying! Also, I don't have a good enough GPU for resolve, or a capture card/BOB for full screen playback. (i'm always in full screen playback mode in avid on my 3rd monitor)

Thank you, I'm 17 years old. I'll be going to university/(they call it college in America) next year :)

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 4:41 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Philip Kapadia:
    Could you expand on why it didn't meet your expectations?

Sure, at the time the ACA was introduced previous Avid management found it was a good strategy to put all communities, association, social media, etc... under the marketing department. As discussing Avid internal policies are not allowed I will not go into who, why and how (if I would have such knowledge to share).

My perception of the information provided by Avid and some of the participants was like joining a sales meeting where critical voices felt like 'this is not the time for..'. The focus was on new features, not fixing outstanding problems. And that might be what you are looking for.

While I can understand and respect Avid's choices and I'm still an ACA member, I prefer to put some of my free time into these forums.  

I see, Thanks!

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 5:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,553
    • Points 255,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Philip and Jereon.....

The ACA itself is getting bigger and Laurie D. for example has been working on added board members and new chapters.  New chapters such as Nashville where the groups are less formal than a committee - and are customer driven in theory.  My team of audio community peeps attend the chapter and committee meetings to handle realworld and live feedback and issues so the meeting can focus on the customers wants and needs.

The community and social team team of which I manage, is under the Support umbrella so while we are chartered with ensuring custoemrs get what they need we are also responsible for a great customer experience.  As we move forweard in 2021, my hope is a new unified platform will emerge where all users enter Avid community and have the same, consistent and great exprience.  

I know that Laurie D. and I are part of that effort and as you know Jereon.... thats a good thing as I dont let much slide past me :) Big Smile

I would expect thatr over the next few months there will be more to share in that regard......

For now, I would join beta Philip and the ACA.  Make sure you provide your feedback on the ACA and community feature forum as I funnel that back to engineering and development. 

Hope that helps...

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:48 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Hi Philip and Jereon.....

The ACA itself is getting bigger and Laurie D. for example has been working on added board members and new chapters.  New chapters such as Nashville where the groups are less formal than a committee - and are customer driven in theory.  My team of audio community peeps attend the chapter and committee meetings to handle realworld and live feedback and issues so the meeting can focus on the customers wants and needs.

The community and social team team of which I manage, is under the Support umbrella so while we are chartered with ensuring custoemrs get what they need we are also responsible for a great customer experience.  As we move forweard in 2021, my hope is a new unified platform will emerge where all users enter Avid community and have the same, consistent and great exprience.  

I know that Laurie D. and I are part of that effort and as you know Jereon.... thats a good thing as I dont let much slide past me :) Big Smile

I would expect thatr over the next few months there will be more to share in that regard......

For now, I would join beta Philip and the ACA.  Make sure you provide your feedback on the ACA and community feature forum as I funnel that back to engineering and development. 

Hope that helps...

Marianna

Thank you for taking the time to type up such an informative response. 

In that case I'll sign up now.

• Tue, Mar 9 2021 9:28 AM In reply to

Philip Kapadia:

My trust in the new management team can't be overstated Smile (I did mention 'previous' didn't I? Wink) Anyway, when asked in the ACA I still provide feedback. Unfortunately for you also when not asked... but you seem to like it.

... . 

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller