Latest post Sat, Mar 13 2021 12:58 AM by paul b. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 8:07 PM

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

Fast Logging With Markers - Workflow

Apologies if this is covered in another thread--I only found older ones and/or ones that didn't seem relevant.

On my current project which requires a high volume of work, for the first time ever I am now using Markers instead of sub clips. When i create a marker on a Master clip in my source monitor, a white unpopulated field appears in the Markers window as it should.  If I click on that field, I can continue playing the Master clip while I’m typing (this is good), however I need activate that Marker Command field with a mouse click in order to activate/populate that field.  Any way around that? When I’m finished typing the comment, I then need to click on the source monitor again before I can add another marker.  Any way around that? Summary:   Is there keyboard shortcut or command for this? is there a way to accomplish this logging process with Markers and its corresponding window without using the mouse at all?  I’ve tried tab and escape--no luck). 
    MC 2021.2.0 MacPro Intel Xeon 6-Core 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Radeon RX 580 GB Avid Nitris DX Storage: Internal 10 TB Sata [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2021 3:45 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,965
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Fast Logging With Markers - Workflow

Ignore the Markers tool.

When I'm doing this, I have Add Marker (red) mapped to my keyboard - on F8, in my case. When I play the source monitor, I can tap F8, a Marker is inserted and the Edit Marker popup window appears. I can directly type into this, no clicking or selecting required. Once I'm done typing, I can press the enter key on the numeric keypad to close the popup. I can then press F8 again to insert the next marker - no need to click anywhere.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2021 5:44 PM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

Thanks. I'm hoping to not use the pop up window.  My question is about the Marker window, which is adjustible to full screen on my second montior.  When I add a marker I see it created in that Marker window (showing me all the markers in one window), however it requires a mouse cick to activate the field in order to enter information.

MC 2021.2.0 MacPro Intel Xeon 6-Core 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Radeon RX 580 GB Avid Nitris DX Storage: Internal 10 TB Sata [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 8 2021 9:53 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,965

In that case, I don't think I can help you further. The pop-up window is the only way to avoid mouse clicks I am aware of.

• Mon, Mar 8 2021 10:13 PM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

Thanks again. According to Avid T/S earlier today: this issue was addressed in late 2020, early 2021.  I can't upgrade right now b/c I'm in the middle of a project  I'll keep you updated.

• Tue, Mar 9 2021 2:11 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 561
    • Points 6,965

Well, I'm running 2021.2 and things work exactly as before...

BTW, I can have the Markers window full-screen on 1 monitor, and I see the text I log against each marker as I create it. I just have to enter that text into the Edit Marker pop-up. I'd agree that it's irritating that it pops up on top of the Composer window, but if you've got a third (ie client/output) monitor, it's not really a problem - at least, not to me!

• Fri, Mar 12 2021 9:40 AM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

Thanks MikeyB, really appreciate you putting up with this.  In my case I'm currently not using a client monitor.  And it's not a big problem that the pop up is covering the SR window becasue it's all interviews and there's nothing to look at.  The problem with pop up for me is that the type is a lot smaller than the marker window.  That being said (for the benefit of the community present and future) here's what my mouseless workflow/sequence looks like. Would love any feedback.

Add Marker is mapped to a key and Marker Pop Up Window 'enabled'

Marker Window configured on the same monitor as the Source Record Window (for instance: sharing a bin container with the the Timeline beneath the Source/Record Window)

Master Clip (interview) is playing in the Source Monitor

Press Marker key, Pop Up Window opens, comment is enabled, while clip in source monitor continues to play (this is good)

Enter Comment

When comment is complete press Enter

Clip continues to play, but there is no longer the option to add another marker (without using the mouse).

Press Escape, Source Window is selected, but clip is now paused

Press Play (or space bar) and source clip plays again and there is the option to add one more (and only one more) marker.

Marker window is poplutated and it's possible to sort reversed in that window to see the most recent comment at the top.

Summary: so MikeB's suggestion is useful but the workflow is stil not ideal.  Still looking for some key or shortcut to activate the comment field in the marker window when adding a marker, then flipping back to the source monitor to add another marker.

• Sat, Mar 13 2021 12:58 AM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

SOLVED MikeyB--thanks to you Friend!  

The problem is the ENTER key when two monitors are configured. It has the curious behavior of cycling through windows/bins.  Avid should address this.

When editing on a SINGLE SCREEN with SR montitors, timeline, and 1 bin container (with marker window tabbed to it)  I can:

Add marker (with keystroke)

Add comment to popup monitor and press Enter -- (only works with Pop Up window, wish it worked without it!)

Content in Source Monitor (haven't tried Rec Monitor) continues to play!!!  and I can press continue to keep adding markers and comments without stopping the interview and without using the mouse!!

I don't disable the second monitor--there's just nothing on it for this workspace config.

This is consistent with the better logging functinality in Premiere that people have commented on in previous posts!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller