Latest post Thu, Mar 4 2021 10:04 AM by MikeyB. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 24 2021 1:03 PM

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 58
    • Points 675

Slow Project GUI - Media Composer 2020 - Mojave

Is there a Maximum Bin Limit to what a project can hold?  The project is big but definitely not the biggest I've seen.

A new editor started and he wants to keep all his bins within the same project.  This makes the project extremely sticky.  It seems less so on Window's machines with 2018 versions of software.  But once it is on a mojave mac running 2020.8 it becomes unusable. 

The video and timeline react perfectly once the clip /sequence is loaded but it is the navigation of the project itself that suffers.  Opening or closing bins, opening or closing project, even scrolling up and down to view the bins, only scrolling, is so unresponsive.  Saving to attic takes an age too.  The problems happens when the project is local on an SSD but is exasperated once the project is ran from a NEXIS shared workspace.  

I have tried various 2019, 2020, 2021 versions all that the same issue.  I have upgraded the NEXIS to the latest version and the client.  Rebuilt the OS of the MAC.  Removed the SearchData folder from the project.  Deleted the MC state files.   Deleted the computers reference to the project (that would hold waveform cache etc) but nothing seems to change.  When using windows PC running 2018 the GUI becomes "normal" but that creates assertion errors, which may be fixed by rebuilding databases but that is not the job spec so is not a solution in this case.

Has anyone experience anything similar and what did you try to help/resolve the situation?

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.  Cheers

Rory

• Thu, Feb 25 2021 4:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,549
    • Points 255,060
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Slow Project GUI - Media Composer 2020 - Mojave

Hey there Rory

Versions of Media Composer v6, and higher are 64-bit applications, including 2019.x, 2020.x and 2021.x which are no longer limited to addressing a maximum of 4 GB of RAM that 32-bit applications have. This means that the application can take advantage of all the memory installed in the system.  As a result, the memory indicator has been removed from the Project Window, as it is no longer necessary. 

You may experience memory or corruption issues with bins larger than approximately 50 MB or that contain more than 30,000 links. 

Bin size is displayed in the project window, number of links can be found by using Ctl+I to get info on a bin in the console window.

Usually it is the link # that gets you and not the MB.

Scan this and see if any of it helps you.....

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/en411959 

Hope that helps.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 1 2021 1:10 PM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 58
    • Points 675

Hi Marianna,

Than you for reply.  That link does not go anywhere.  I never seen a project behave like this before.

I tried Ctrl-I and I see nothing in the console.  Should I be doing it on a bin in the project window or on an open bin?  Sorry if I have misunderstood.  Thank you

Rory

• Mon, Mar 1 2021 4:17 PM In reply to

Rory T:

Hi Marianna,

Than you for reply.  That link does not go anywhere.  I never seen a project behave like this before.

I tried Ctrl-I and I see nothing in the console.  Should I be doing it on a bin in the project window or on an open bin?  Sorry if I have misunderstood.  Thank you

Rory

Take the %20 off the end of the link (its a space)

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/en411959

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Mar 4 2021 10:04 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 555
    • Points 6,875
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Rory T:
    I tried Ctrl-I and I see nothing in the console.  Should I be doing it on a bin in the project window or on an open bin? 

Hi Rory,

Ctrl/Cmd-I doesn't work this way any more. If you have clips selected in the bin, it opens the Clip Info window for them. But you can't use it as described here to see Bin Info.  Instead, just make the Bin the active window, then go to the Bin menu on the top toolbar (not the menu in the Bin itself, go figure..) and choose Bin Info. The Console will open with the number of links etc as before.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller