Latest post Sun, Feb 14 2021 12:09 PM by paul b. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 14 2021 5:35 AM

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

Possible to copy a nested effect without source to a bin?

Hello Friends,

I apologize in advance because I suspect this subject has likely been covered before.  But I'm not able to locate it. If someone can please help me I would greatly appreciate it.

This may be a two part question:

1)  The effect is a 200% blowup (Resize) with a Blur effect nested inside. The result is the full 16x9 pallette completely blurred beyond recognition of the original source.  I want to save this (combined) nested effect to a bin.  Then I want to be able drag and drop BOTH effects onto a new clip at one time.

2)  Since it is possible to select dozens of clips in my timeline and then poplulate all of them instantly by double clicking an effect, I'm hoping there's way to do this with two combined effects at once.

Here's some additional info:

Its a very standard reality TV effect where a vertical iphone shot is in the foreground (V1) over a (blown up) full screen heavily blurred 16x9 background of that same image.  It's a two layer effect.  The top V3 layer is a super simple zoom of a cropped image with 3D Warp, and I already have that saved to my effects bin for easy replication--so that's not part of this question.  As I said, the bottom V2 layer is the Blur nested into a 200% Resize, filling the 16x9 palette.  The V2 effect is what I'm trying to mechanize.  Ideally I would select all of the clips of the iphone photo on the V2 layer by holding down the option key and using the "To The Right' button (which ignores the black filler!! ) and then double clicking on the saved effect to populated 100 clips instantly with the full screen blurred blowup.  I can populate 100 clips at once with the Resize and I can populate 100 clips at once with the Blur, but I don't know how to do both simultaneously.

I seem to remember having a way to do this years ago.  I am able to drag the nested effect into a bin 'With Source'.  So I am trying to do this 'Without Source'

The softener in the 3D Warp does not blur the image enough for my current client--so it seems like it has to be the Blur tool.  The V3 effect requires that I crop the image and zoom in slightly (shots are typically only a few seconds).  But if someone has some clever idea how to do both V2 and V3 on one one layer like in Premiere, I am all ears. In any case the goal is NOT to be stepping in, copying, pasting dragging etc on hundreds of clips on after the other.  

Thanks in advance. Happy Lunar New Year Y'all

PS Here's another way of framing the question: I've got a 5 minute show with the interview on V1.  On V3 I have 100 B-roll shots with 3D Warps.  All of those V3 shots are also duplicated underneath on V2 for the Blur.  I can instantly add the 200% Resize to 100 clips - instantly on V2 - magic! Why can't I do the same thing to instantly nest those 100 Resizes underneath the Blurs by multiple selecting those clips, holding Option, and double clicking on that (saved) Blur effect in my EFX bin?  That works with one single clip, but not multiple clips.  Why?  Would be great to be able to nest multiple selected clip.

MC 2021.2.0 MacPro Intel Xeon 6-Core 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Radeon RX 580 GB Avid Nitris DX Storage: Internal 10 TB Sata [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 14 2021 11:12 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 574
    • Points 7,155
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Possible to copy a nested effect without source to a bin?

Sadly, I think the answer is "no". You could nest the 2 effects together in filler on a video track above, then save with source. That would mean you could apply the two together on a track above your other clips, but it'd still be cumbersome to apply to lots of individual clips.

A question, though: How much blur do you need? Perhaps you've left the 3D Warp in its default 'Internal' mode? If you switch it into Foreground Only mode, it goes blurry enough for most things. Then you could do the resize and the blur in one effect, and the problem would go away.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 14 2021 12:09 PM In reply to

• paul b
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,510

Re: Possible to copy a nested effect without source to a bin?

Mikey B, Many thanks.

"Perhaps you've left the 3D Warp in its default 'Internal' mode? If you switch it into Foreground Only mode"

There is a subtle difference between the blurs but I can't really say which is better and 3D Warp has more handles--I'd rather have the control. (In fact I might key frame the sliders to add a bit of vitality to the blurry BG!)  I never played with 'Foreground Only'' before.  

Built a 3D Warp with 260% blowup, addded the Foreground Defocus, copied it to my EFX bin, selected multiple clips, held down the Shift Key and . . . . CRASH.  Restart, Rinse Repat: CRASH AGAIN  (this time on Save! first time ever!) Restart #3. It worked:  Brilliant.  Tried a few more multiple selects.  No problem.  Tested entire sequence of 35 b-roll clips:  Success!  no crash.  Brilliant, you solved it!  (I'll keep the thread updated if the crashing becomes an issue)

I also tried your filler trick with the Resize nested inside the Blur --- good idea.  Built it into a 10 second filler clip and copied it to the EFX bin. Selected the B-Roll Blur layer for its in-out points and repatched to cut the filler directly above.  That worked, but much more work thatn simultaneiously poplulating 35 clips with effects by means of your above mentioned solutiion.  But I'm going to remember that one!

You totally rocked this, thank you!

MC 2021.2.0 MacPro Intel Xeon 6-Core 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Radeon RX 580 GB Avid Nitris DX Storage: Internal 10 TB Sata [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller