Latest post Mon, Jun 7 2021 5:48 PM by Jimme. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 9 2021 10:32 AM

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 4 2021
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

How to group clips? So they move together? (Not Multicam)

Hi editors,

How do I group clips, so when I select one clip and move it, other clips (audio or video) will move with it?

Here is an example of this in Premiere Pro: 

(I hope you can do it as fast as this, I use this actually a lot more than I thought)

Operating System: Windows 10

Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 11:08 AM In reply to

Re: How to group clips? So they move together? (Not Multicam)

Lasso from left to right around the clips you want to group together. Start in the blank area of the timeline window above the sequence and finish in the blank area of the timeline window below the sequence.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 12:12 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

camoscato:

Lasso from left to right around the clips you want to group together. Start in the blank area of the timeline window above the sequence and finish in the blank area of the timeline window below the sequence.

Ah you're right I forgot about that. 

Is that why people use TC1 above their video tracsk? Because when I try to lasso with the TC1 below V1 I can only select the video tracks, not the audio tracks.

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 12:40 PM In reply to

I have the TC track between V1 and A1 and I'm able to lasso video and audio clips together. Maybe post a clip of how you're doing it to help see where it's going wrong.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 1:32 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

camoscato:

I have the TC track between V1 and A1 and I'm able to lasso video and audio clips together. Maybe post a clip of how you're doing it to help see where it's going wrong.

Maybe what I am doing is not lassoing? 

https://gyazo.com/a8ce4b054b1d3d47c02674c6c23589f9

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 4:16 PM In reply to

You're lassoing, but pay close attention to this part of the instructions:

camoscato:
    Start in the blank area of the timeline window above the sequence and finish in the blank area of the timeline window below the sequence.

You started your lasso somewhere in the sequence itself. You have to start in the blank area above or below the sequence, and finish in the blank area above or below the sequence.

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:38 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

camoscato:

You're lassoing, but pay close attention to this part of the instructions:

camoscato:
    Start in the blank area of the timeline window above the sequence and finish in the blank area of the timeline window below the sequence.

You started your lasso somewhere in the sequence itself. You have to start in the blank area above or below the sequence, and finish in the blank area above or below the sequence.

Ohhh I see now. Thanks a lot! Also why when I lasso select something, sometimes it will select trim/cut points and other times it will just select the clips?

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:42 PM In reply to

Jimme:
    Also why when I lasso select something, sometimes it will select trim/cut points and other times it will just select the clips?

Lasso left > right = select clips

Lasso right > left = trim mode

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:50 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

camoscato:

Jimme:
    Also why when I lasso select something, sometimes it will select trim/cut points and other times it will just select the clips?

Lasso left > right = select clips

Lasso right > left = trim mode

Thanks a lot!

• Mon, Jun 7 2021 2:40 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

camoscato:

Hi camoscato, sorry for the reply on an old thread, but I think that's okay? Let me know if it's not. I know you can group unrelated clips together by using your instructions (lassoing the clips together). And you could move those clips together to wherever you want. 

Is there also a way to 'Group' those clips together for ever? So instead of having to lasso each time, I would group them together and whenever I want to move those clips I would just drag one and they would all move with it. Kind of how Link Selection works.

For clarity: https://gyazo.com/c9165afcf7b9e9d259ef72dcd0f15273

Right now I have to lasso these three clips every single time. It would be way more efficient to be able to 'group' them together and move them around by simply dragging one of those three clips. 

• Mon, Jun 7 2021 5:14 PM In reply to

Jimme:
    sorry for the reply on an old thread, but I think that's okay?

It's ok because it's a continuation of a related question.

Jimme:
    So instead of having to lasso each time, I would group them together and whenever I want to move those clips I would just drag one and they would all move with it. Kind of how Link Selection works.

Not that I know of. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

• Mon, Jun 7 2021 5:48 PM In reply to

• Jimme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,560

camoscato:

Jimme:
    sorry for the reply on an old thread, but I think that's okay?

It's ok because it's a continuation of a related question.

Jimme:
    So instead of having to lasso each time, I would group them together and whenever I want to move those clips I would just drag one and they would all move with it. Kind of how Link Selection works.

Not that I know of. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

It's okay, I am always looking for the most efficient way of working, but I'll just lasso that stuff when I need to. Thanks for reaching out

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller