Latest post Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:58 PM by Lukas Boeck. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 26 2021 10:01 PM

Horizontal timeline scrolling in Media Composer?

Hi all, 

I was wondering how i'd setup horizontal timeline scrolling in media composer? In every other application under the sun you're able to shift + scroll to scroll horizontally.. This does not work in avid. How would I set this up?

To provide more information, I'm on a windows system with a vertical mouse ( Anker AK-UBA 2.4G )

Thanks in advance,

Philip

Ryzen/GTX H/W (I know) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 27 2021 7:55 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,798
    • Points 62,840

Re: Horizontal timeline scrolling in Media Composer?

Do you mean the timeline cursor position or the whole timeline window? CTRL + Mousewheel moves the timeline cursor and if you add the ALT key to that combo, the timeline cursor moves faster...

MC 2020.12 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jan 27 2021 9:15 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 251
    • Points 3,185

To really scroll thru the timeline in big chunks - BarkinMadds version will help on a frame by frame basis - you need to be able to assign pc commands to your mouse. 

When I had a Razer mouse - i was able to assign SCROLL LEFT and SCROLL RIGHT to the scrool wheel within a bank of functions. Problem was that the Razer software was just too buggy.

Now with a Logitech MX Master 3 - it has a seperate thumb scroll wheel that does this automatically. Although it misses out on a lot of the functions that the Razer had - this function was a huge selling point for me

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC2020.5/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080 - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.15.4/MC2020.4/Intel UHD 630 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2021 9:13 AM In reply to

Isn't there a Setting or tool that (I never use) to move the cursor only to top of next/previous timeline clip? Maybe that could become a modifier+Scrollwheel option, to compliment the Ctrl+Scrollwheel...perhaps as an optional Setting/alternative to what Ctrl+Alt+Scrollwheel does now (on pc).

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2021 4:14 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for the responses all. I'm aware of the scroll + Alt (I think) moving the cursor along the timeline, but i'd really like to be able to scroll the timeline side to side with the mouse scroll wheel. 

In adobe premiere pro I think there's an option to "enable horizontal timeline scrolling"... Frustrated that avid does not have that option! My mouse does not have software so it's impossible for me to set that there.

My work around for this is to have a track pad next to my mouse - I can scroll side to side on that trackpad by swiping with two fingers. 

• Sat, Feb 6 2021 8:57 AM In reply to

• Cagney
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 21 2020
    • Posts 8
    • Points 105

Telegram!:

Isn't there a Setting or tool that (I never use) to move the cursor only to top of next/previous timeline clip? Maybe that could become a modifier+Scrollwheel option, to compliment the Ctrl+Scrollwheel...perhaps as an optional Setting/alternative to what Ctrl+Alt+Scrollwheel does now (on pc).

I map the next and previous event shortcuts to my mouse thumb buttons. 

I think I also mapped them to 1 and 2 on the keyboard so I could map to my mouse in the mouse software. 

• Sat, Feb 6 2021 2:27 PM In reply to

I love Avid very much, but timeline navigation is terrible, Avid stubbornly refuses to think about user convenience.  even in protools there is this option why there is no avid, a mystery.

• Sat, Feb 6 2021 2:51 PM In reply to

Key L on the keyboard moves the horizontal cursor continuously to the left
    Key i to the right
    Key s to the next edit
    Key a to the previous edit.

If you have more than one video track on the timeline, you hav to select the video track monitor button (small square at the beginning of the timeline) when using keys s or a.

In addition to the mouse on my right hand, I use a Contour ShuttlePRO V2 on my left hand. It has 15 buttons to which above commands can be assigned to.

MB: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate. CPU: Intel Eight Core i9-9900K/3600 16MB Cache, SATA Hard Disks Raid (2x4 TB), GPU 1200MHz. GC: Gainward RTX2080 Super... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 6 2021 8:40 PM In reply to

Roland Achini:

Key L on the keyboard moves the horizontal cursor continuously to the left
    Key i to the right
    Key s to the next edit
    Key a to the previous edit.

If you have more than one video track on the timeline, you hav to select the video track monitor button (small square at the beginning of the timeline) when using keys s or a.

In addition to the mouse on my right hand, I use a Contour ShuttlePRO V2 on my left hand. It has 15 buttons to which above commands can be assigned to.

Thank you, Robert. Sounds like fun. All I want to do is to hold the Shift key down while turning the Mouse Scroll Wheel- to keep using (continually press) the Previous or Next event (based on the scroll direction). That would be like having a "wheel of fortune" spinning action to travel the timeline, Plus having the short distance jogging we have now.

I would also like to HEAR scrub sound when I use Ctrl+Mouse Wheel, or Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel in Trim mode or Edit Mode. Can you use your Shuttle pro v2,s shuttle knob to do that? Just curious. Also, would the Shuttle Pro we able to use its macro powers to change active Settings when there is a choice of more than one, needing a tick mark?

if that device had a mouse built in, I would get it one in a heartbeat.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:20 AM In reply to

I cannot yet answer the your question about scrubbing. The Shuttle PRO V2 has - in addition to the 15 buttons - something like a scroll wheel. It needs some experiments to learn about that.

MB: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate. CPU: Intel Eight Core i9-9900K/3600 16MB Cache, SATA Hard Disks Raid (2x4 TB), GPU 1200MHz. GC: Gainward RTX2080 Super... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 7 2021 12:48 PM In reply to

I tested the Sroll wheel of the ShuttlePRO V2: You can use it to move forwards or backwards with variable speed.

To go to the next Edit (= Event) you use the assigned button, a mentioned before.

• Tue, Feb 9 2021 10:18 AM In reply to

Philip, I've always been puzzled why horizontal scrolling isn't possible with shift+scrollwheel. Seems like such a basic feature!

Nowadays I use a Wacom so I don't have a scrollwheel at hand anyway, which is why the Sequence Map is a very useful alternative. You can open it by right clicking somewhere in the timeline and choosing "Show Sequence Map".

MC: 2020.12.1 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 10 2021 2:34 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 633
    • Points 7,565

like ramz434 said, sideway scrollong exists, you just need a mouse that supports it.
    Is a scarce feature, half of high end logitech  mice have it.
    I have his MX units too, not ideal, Logitech G502 scrolls much better but alas, is ugly as sin.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:37 PM In reply to

Lukas Boeck:

like ramz434 said, sideway scrollong exists, you just need a mouse that supports it.
    Is a scarce feature, half of high end logitech  mice have it.
    I have his MX units too, not ideal, Logitech G502 scrolls much better but alas, is ugly as sin.

Thanks, but I don't think that's good enough.

It's all well and good to purchase a mouse that supports it for my system at home, But I can't buy a specific mouse for all of my client's systems, my universities systems.... etc haha.

I use avid every day and it's wonderful for my workflow! This is like one of my most wanted feature (along with better CC tools lol) I'd like to see in the next release. 

• Wed, Feb 10 2021 4:58 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 633
    • Points 7,565

Not sure about the client systems, I always include 50$ mice.

They deliver horizontal scrolling & 10x speed vertical scrolling system wide, not just in MC.
    They're very precise on any surface, customers love them, won't go back.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller