Latest post Wed, Feb 3 2021 11:52 AM by Bruno M. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 24 2021 11:19 AM

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 20 2011
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,205

Premiere and Avid on same system with Nvidia Quadro 2000 - which driver?

I'm in some confusion about video drivers.

I've just instaled the 2020 version of Premiere Pro on my system on which I've been running Avid for some time (now on 2020.12).  

The two NLE's require a different version of the video driver for my Nvidia Quadro Pro 2000 graphics card.  It appears that Premiere wants the latest while Avid requires an older version.   I've seen this discussed before, but can't seem to find anything specific about it.

Anyone worked out the solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Simon

AVID 2019.12 on HP Z820 MT XEON, 2GhZ, 32GB, Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Crucial SSD Hard Drive with several WD Blacks for media. TMPGEnc 7 for encoding... [view my complete system specs]

New Template
  • Sun, Jan 24 2021 2:34 PM In reply to

Re: Premiere and Avid on same system with Nvidia Quadro 2000 - which driver?

Use the latest one and work backwards. If that doesn't work, try an earlier version.

MC 2021.3, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 24 2021 6:55 PM In reply to

Hi Simon,

Just to confirm, you are talking about the quadro 2000, not a k2000, m2000 or p2000?

If it is the quadro 2000 you need to use the 353.82 for windows 10 drivers. These were however never tested/supported for MC 2019.x or MC 2020.x. They do work for MC 2018.12.x. although also not supported.

There are newer drivers for the quadro 2000 but they do not play nice with MC 2018.12.x.. I never tested these newer drivers for the quadro 2000 with MC 2020.x though. So they could work but I expect you will run into performance issues. 

If you have one of the newer k,m or p cards Avid advices to use 443.66. But I have seen systems with newer drivers working fine.

Here is a link to the knowledge base article that has all the info:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087  

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jan 26 2021 9:01 AM In reply to

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,205

Hi Jeroen

Thanks for this info.  It is indeed the Quadro 2000.   So if I'm looking for better all round compatibility with Avid and other programs on my computer is my best path to get a newer card?  If so, what would be the 2020 equivalent of the Quadro 2000?

Thanks

Simon

AVID 2019.12 on HP Z820 MT XEON, 2GhZ, 32GB, Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Crucial SSD Hard Drive with several WD Blacks for media. TMPGEnc 7 for encoding... [view my complete system specs]

New Template
  • Tue, Jan 26 2021 9:18 AM In reply to

Hi Simon,

Simon_h:
    So if I'm looking for better all round compatibility with Avid and other programs on my computer is my best path to get a newer card?

Are you having any specific problems with video display in Avid or Premeire?

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jan 26 2021 9:29 AM In reply to

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,205

Hi camoscato

When I installed Premiere 2020 I allowed it to update the video driver to it's preferred version.  After that, Avid (my main editing tool)   gave the usual warning that my driver was incompatible, but appeared to operate OK.  However, the video of my system in general became unstable particularly with online videos.   For instance, video thumbnails on a stock shot site went completely black and I experienced similar problems with Youtube playback.  Changing back to Avid's recommended driver solved this, but I'm concerned I am not getting optimum performance from Premiere, which seems to crash quite often.

Ideally I'd like a set up which gives optimum performance for both NLEs.

Simon

New Template
  • Tue, Jan 26 2021 9:38 AM In reply to

Simon_h:

Hi camoscato

When I installed Premiere 2020 I allowed it to update the video driver to it's preferred version.  After that, Avid (my main editing tool)   gave the usual warning that my driver was incompatible, but appeared to operate OK.  However, the video of my system in general became unstable particularly with online videos.   For instance, video thumbnails on a stock shot site went completely black and I experienced similar problems with Youtube playback.  Changing back to Avid's recommended driver solved this, but I'm concerned I am not getting optimum performance from Premiere, which seems to crash quite often.

Ideally I'd like a set up which gives optimum performance for both NLEs.

Simon

Dual boot is the only other system. 

Personally I'd stick with the Avid driver. 

I don't think it has a big impact on premiere and its crashing. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Jan 26 2021 12:48 PM In reply to

Hi Simon,

When on a tight budget I would search for a used quadro K2200.

If your budget is not so much an issue I would buy a new p2000. 

If sky is the limit go for one the RTX cards but what you might gain from that in Media composer was, is and will propably for ever be, a better kept secret than the nuclear missile launch codes.

Just make sure that you check if the card of choice requires direct power from your PSU and that your PC has that 6 or 8 pin connector available. Some quadro/rtx cards , like your quadro 2000, don't need it but others do.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jan 26 2021 12:58 PM In reply to

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,205

Thanks all for the great advice!

Simon

New Template
  • Mon, Feb 1 2021 3:34 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 639
    • Points 7,645

Simon_h:

Premiere, which seems to crash quite often.

Is normal, means it's working.

Premiere now has acceleration to crash faster.

Right now is not the time to buy GPUs. Completely sold out till at least may I recon.

Unless you get another quadro, which hasn't been necessary for a while.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 3 2021 11:52 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 822
    • Points 10,475

If it's any help...

I have an older workstation that used a Quadro K4200 which was having problems with some of Adobe's software (crashes, no output to Blackmagic card) but was stable with MC using the recommended drivers.

When I upgraded to Resolve 17 (which had been stable upto then) it also started to crash even with the latest drivers, so I thought it time to upgrade my GPU.

I took a chance with a second-hand Quadro M4000 from Ebay (around $200) and it's been a positive experience all around. With the latest drivers from Nvidia, MC is stable, as is Resolve. I can even get video output to my external monitor with Premiere and After Effects. This is all running on Win10.

At some point, these older graphic cards just hold you back, as they don't support later implementations of things like CUDA.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller