Latest post Mon, Jan 11 2021 5:22 PM by aVienna. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 9 2021 12:21 AM

• Vinne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 26 2006
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,270

New HP workstation: a little too noisy

I just bought a new HP z4 g4 workstation because I felt after 5 or 6 years with the z440 it was time for something new.  But the first thing I noticed when I powered it up was that the z4 is considerably noiser than my z440 which was virtually silent.  

Unfortunately, I can't move the z4 to another room - so: has anyone an idea how to reduce the noise level of a PC in the editing room?  I saw special sound proof boxes on the internet (https://www.soundconstructionsupply.com/isobox-studio/) but they seem really expensive.  Plus, I'm not sure if the built-in fans in those boxes may be just as loud as the fans in my z4.  

And is anyone else finding the z4 kind of noisy?  

Thanks!

Vincent

2 x HP z400, 3.2 GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2000, MC 7.0.3, Matrox MXO2 MAX mini, LaCie RAID 2TB eSata, Win7 64 Bit SP1 HP xw8400, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 9 2021 8:37 PM In reply to

• B3n3d1kt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2020
    • Germany
    • Posts 24
    • Points 265

Re: New HP workstation: a little too noisy

Vinne:

Unfortunately, I can't move the z4 to another room - so: has anyone an idea how to reduce the noise level of a PC in the editing room?

You can try to find settings in the BIOS/UEFI or Windows, but I doubt that you have the option to control the fans like with a custom mainboard.

Then you can try to quieten the tower. A (thin) blanket insulator should fit in the side panel. For a few bugs that should make it quieter.

If that does not make your expectations, you have to find the source of the noise. I assume it is a cooler running hight rpm's. There are multiple options to improve: unplug fan if temps will be fine, external fan control (like Noctua NA-FC1), replace fans with quieter ones, replace cooler with better/quieter one.

MC 2019.12 (Win 10 1909) custom Workstation: AMD Threadripper 3960X (NH-U14S TR4-SP3 + NF-A15), ASUS TRX40-E Gaming, 64GB DDR4-3200 Corsair, MSI RTX 2070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 9 2021 9:11 PM In reply to

Those soundproof boxes are soundproof. Chances are the loudest fan you're hearing is the one on the graphics card.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 10 2021 3:51 AM In reply to

Could this be a graphics driver issue? I've had it before where the fans were just spun up to max the whole time but changing the drivers fixed the issue and got them back to normal. Unless it's really under load it shouldn't be so loud. Does it start loud and then just stay loud? Normally the fans all spin up and then when the drivers kick in reign themselves in...

I've used the z8 workstations at various post houses and never found them to be overly noisy.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 11 2021 12:27 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 1,059
    • Points 13,475

I think it's worth working out which fans are spinning (and at what speed) before you start spending money on any sort of sound isolation. As mentioned, it could be a faulty sensor or setting somewhere.

I suggest you use software to check the thermals on your CPU and GPU and get hold of FanControl at...

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

This will allow you to view/control your fans and fine tune the fan control response with steps, activation %, response time and hysteresis

HP Z800, HP G9 Fury, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Ultrastudio 3G/4K, Symphony 2018 & 2023, Boland BVB25 OLED, JVC DTV1910 HD CRT, Eizo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 11 2021 5:22 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,145

QuickSpec for HP Z440 - Declared Noise Emission:

Entry level machine - Idle:

Sound Power 3.2  LWAd, bels

Deskside Sound Pressure: 14 LpAm, decibels

QuickSpec for HP Z4 - Declared Noise Emission:

Entry level machine - Idle:

Sound Power 3.2  LWAd, bels

Deskside Sound Pressure: 13 LpAm, decibels

HighEnd 2 level machine - Idle:

Sound Power 3.5  LWAd, bels

Deskside Sound Pressure: 20 LpAm, decibels

QuickSpec Footnote for Z4: Higher noise levels may be experienced with non HP approved graphic card(s). Some consumer graphics cards have side blowing fans that may heat up thermal sensor(s) on the mother board causing fans to ramp

in Idle state: The entry level machine Z4 is a bit less noisy than the z440 entry level machine. Note the footnote for the z4. Do you have such a graphics card?

Windows 10 Pro with latest MC, DNxID [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller