Latest post Thu, Dec 10 2020 3:35 PM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 9 2020 10:08 PM

• DavidEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 10 2020
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Hardrive configuration

Hi,

Is it a good idea to have Avid MediaComposer on SSD but Avid MediaFiles on a HDD 5400rpm to potentially work on 4k footage ?

Thank you

• Wed, Dec 9 2020 10:41 PM In reply to

Re: Hardrive configuration

Absolutely not. 

While MC will launch quicker from an SSD once launched you don't gain much. 

However a single 5200rpm drive is barely enough for HD work.

You would want something like 8 x 7200 spinning drives as RAID0 to get any sort of speed suitable for 4K

Even a single SSD may not be fast enough you'd want striped SSDs

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Dec 9 2020 11:20 PM In reply to

• DavidEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Ok, so is that ok with the config i mentionned to work with 4K proxies ?

And, 5400rpm is not enough for HD too ?

Edit : "You would want something like 8 x 7200 spinning drives as RAID0 to get any sort of speed suitable for 4K"

This is crazy Surprise

• Thu, Dec 10 2020 1:21 PM In reply to

DavidEdit:
    Is it a good idea to have Avid MediaComposer on SSD

Yes.

DavidEdit:
    but Avid MediaFiles on a HDD 5400rpm to potentially work on 4k footage ?

No.

You can pick up a good SSD for not much and get read speeds of close to 3GB/s. For 4k work this will be fine unless it's something like uncompressed 12bit or multiple streams of high quality 4k prores or something. Pat is correct, it's 2020 and there's no place for a 5400rpm drive in a modern setup apart from things like transport drives. Certainly not for media drives. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 10 2020 1:37 PM In reply to

DavidEdit:

Ok, so is that ok with the config i mentionned to work with 4K proxies ?

And, 5400rpm is not enough for HD too ?

Edit : "You would want something like 8 x 7200 spinning drives as RAID0 to get any sort of speed suitable for 4K"

This is crazy Surprise

Just do the maths on the datarates of the files you need tom playback. HD will vary from around 120 mbps to nearly 200mbps.

to make 4K proxies you still need to read the camera original 4K files and they will range from 100mbps to 1gbps or higher

Even proxy 4K files can be high datarate typically 150mbps or more.

you get around 50mbps from a 5200rpm drive thats around 1/3 of what you need for proxy 4K files.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Thu, Dec 10 2020 1:38 PM In reply to

• DavidEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

Thank you for your answer, i just found Pat solutions a little bit extreme ^^

I totally agree 5400 is only for storage..

I guess ill go full SSD

Edit : i just do the maths and i'm not their best friend :D.. a 1hour footage Apple Prores 422HQ 4K straight from the cam would be 675Go or so ?

• Thu, Dec 10 2020 2:28 PM In reply to

Not extreme at all, some of my edits are running 5-9 cam multicam 1080/2k projects and they are working from an 8bay Pegasus 2 RAID 5 setup with 7200rpm Toshiba enterprise drives and those things only just manage to play it back. They get less than 1000MB/s read speeds so I doubt they'd handle 4k multicam. 

The CPU also makes a difference, my Macbook struggles to playback multicam 2k Prores LT even though my drives should theoretically be able to serve the data fast enough but the Mac Pro towers the editors use can hadle the same sequence on the same drives. 

So I guess the takeaway is to make sure you also have a decently spec'd system, just having a fast SSD in a slow computer will not be enough.

This whitepaper from Apple may be useful, it contains some data rate info on the various flavours of Prores.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 10 2020 2:39 PM In reply to

• DavidEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 150

I'm starting, so 9 multicams not for now :)

I stated the use of those drives assuming these specs that i have :

Ryzen 7 3700x

32Go ram

RTX 2060

• Thu, Dec 10 2020 3:35 PM In reply to

The AMD CPU should ben ok. The RAM is OK (more is never bad) the RTX card is 6GB so should work for 4K (but not the nippiest 4K card)

A boot drive SSD for apps is a no brainer.

Its just you media drive that needs to be more even for 4K proxy work.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller