Latest post Mon, Dec 7 2020 7:08 PM by pixels.paradise. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 7 2020 5:16 AM

• sacnewsguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 2 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 85

Avid Adrenaline With the new Media Composer 2020

Hey guys been out of this for a long time and just got the new updated MC. I dug out my old Adrenaline box and was hoping to hook it back up, bough a firewire card from amazon but does not seem like it is working? Not sure if there is support for this box anymore or not. If not I would like to know what box I should get because I need to ingest some mini DV and some VHS tapes into MC so I can convert them. Thanks

• Mon, Dec 7 2020 7:43 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Adrenaline With the new Media Composer 2020

Hi,

The last version of Media Composer that worked with Adrenaline was 5.5, so 2020.x is definitely not going to work.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/End-of-support-dates

sacnewsguy:
    If not I would like to know what box I should get because I need to ingest some mini DV and some VHS tapes into MC so I can convert them.

There are a few different solutions, but this isn't my area of expertise, so hopefully someone else will chime in with ideas for you.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Dec 7 2020 7:44 AM In reply to

As you psotted support for the Adrenaline hardware stopped some time ago.

I'm afraid that hardware probably goes to recycling now.

MiniDV you can do just via firewire although the setting up can be tricky (plenty of posts of people struggling)

From what I remember you need to set the firewire driver to be in legacy mode. You need a project that correctly matches the tape format (it may be thin raster as well if HDV) make sure you can see and control the deck via firewire and start the tape rolling before you launch the capture tool.

The VHS is more complex. What sort of deck do you have? does it have component of Y/C outputs or are you limited to composite. And does it have deck control?

All those factors will determine what sort of capture I/O hardware you need.

All that said it maybe cheaper to by a simple Composite to USB adapter and capture outside MC and then bring it tom tidy up.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Dec 7 2020 12:59 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 536
    • Points 6,925

why? a $100 interface will give you much better resolution.

nostalgia is over rated.  throw it in the dumpster.

w10, always the latest version of MC, diy 7940x, gtx 1080 ti. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 7 2020 3:13 PM In reply to

Few people have a VHS deck in good enough condition to produce results that a higher end capture solution can justify.

And whats the resolution of VHS anyway 200 lines about a 1/3 of that for the colour.

If you have a Pro VHS deck with TBC and component output its worth some investment.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Dec 7 2020 7:08 PM In reply to

Hi,

I captured succesfully minDV tapes recently using a Panasonic AJ-SD93E deck with a good old MacBookPro Mid 2012 with Firewire800 connection (the generation before Retina). Not sure, what MC version I used, but it wasnt too old. It only has to match with the OS (in my case Sierra). It worked very smoothly.

You can use any other deck with Firewire400 output, but you need a Macbook for this (my type, or a never one with an FW-adapter). If such a deck has analog inputs, you can connect an VHS deck without remote. But, for my part, I failed on this one. All 3 VHS decks I tried stopped working within minutes after not using them for more then a decade. Someone told me that capacitors are going dry out after this long pausing time.

Last but not least: Adrenaline will not work with any version never then 5.5. Todays i/o world is much better.

At home, where things should be as simple as possible I am using 2020.10 with Mojo DX with an Sonnet Thunderbold-PCIExpress adapter, changing now to a simple AJA T-TAP I bought for 80 bucks on ebay.

HTH

pixel

iMac Mid 2016 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 32 GB RAM / MCA 2019.12 / MojoDX / Adobe CC 2018 / MBPro Mid 2015 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 16 GB RAM / MC 2019.12... [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller