Latest post Tue, May 18 2021 7:45 AM by Avid-Freund. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 25 2020 11:44 AM In reply to

Re: Avid Pan and Zoom very bad performance

File A is AMA linked..

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 25 2020 11:45 AM In reply to

Now I link another one..

I am editing on a very old macbook pro / mid 2012 with 16 GB ram Using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 And usually the newest AVID Version / right now its 2020... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 25 2020 11:46 AM In reply to

Now I relinked File B, but file A is linked back to prores. I only selected file B for this..

• Wed, Nov 25 2020 1:28 PM In reply to

Don't forget when you transcode clips you have the option to embed the flrameflex into the transcode and thereby lose the ability to work with it in the transcoded media. This is done if you need to pass that media back to oldr Avid systems pre Frameflex.

So normally don't tick that box and you transcodes will still have frameflex as an option. Also use the DNxHR codecs as they retain the source resolution. (the DNxHD codec will only make HD media)

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Nov 25 2020 1:41 PM In reply to

so you do recommend to transcode everything in UHD first? I mostly use prores on my mac as i think performance is slightly better. I think it takes up some performance to work in a hd timeline with all uhd footage because avid has to constantly convert everything, but on the other hand animating frameflex is a pain when using ama linked uhd h264 files.. this works much better on ihd prores files.

Pat Horridge:

Don't forget when you transcode clips you have the option to embed the flrameflex into the transcode and thereby lose the ability to work with it in the transcoded media. This is done if you need to pass that media back to oldr Avid systems pre Frameflex.

So normally don't tick that box and you transcodes will still have frameflex as an option. Also use the DNxHR codecs as they retain the source resolution. (the DNxHD codec will only make HD media)

• Wed, Nov 25 2020 1:42 PM In reply to

Do you know why i can only ama link to one file and the link to the other is gone?

• Wed, Nov 25 2020 2:17 PM In reply to

To be honest I don't change the linking of my clips.

I AMA link my sources.

I make selects of those (using I & O to make subclips)

I then Transcode all the subclips and any master clips I've kept as complete.

If I need to pan and zoom I will transcode to DNxHR to retain the resolution even if the codec is low datarate (ie proxy offline)

I then cut with that media.

If I need to do a conform and online back at the original source media I relink the timeline, never clips.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Nov 25 2020 2:37 PM In reply to

you are right.

I will stay in prores uhd for everything and work in a hd timeline with frameflex effect on the timeline where needed,

then i dont waste time transcoding or relinking or conforming during the edit.

Performance wise i think its allright even on my mbp from 2012 - as long as i use frameflex and no pan and zoom.

Pat Horridge:

To be honest I don't change the linking of my clips.

I AMA link my sources.

I make selects of those (using I & O to make subclips)

I then Transcode all the subclips and any master clips I've kept as complete.

If I need to pan and zoom I will transcode to DNxHR to retain the resolution even if the codec is low datarate (ie proxy offline)

I then cut with that media.

If I need to do a conform and online back at the original source media I relink the timeline, never clips.

• Tue, May 18 2021 7:45 AM In reply to

I am not sure, but I think newer versions of avid get even slower on older systems.

While I can playback even Long-Gop UHD in Resolve without transcoding, Avid cannot playback realtime Prores UHD anymore when color correction is applied..

I definitely need a new mac, but the new M1 still is not supported, so I have to wait.. Maybe until M2 comes out..

While waiting, I was hoping to use a workaround, but that doesnt work either:

I tried to edit my UHD Prores Footage in a 1080i Timeline, then apply frameflex on the timeline, and then transcode the sequence to DNxHD while appling frameflex..

This way I hoped I could get a HD-Timeline with all applied Frameflex-Effects but It doesnt work.

I guess AVID only applies FrameFlex effects that are applied in the source clips, no frameflex on the timeline...

I cannot apply frameflex on the source clips as all parts of the clip on the timeline are affected by the same effect then.

Is there any other way to get a useable HD Timeline with frameflex applied?

Or can I work in DNxHD and then just go back to the linked original files for the parts where I need more resolution?

Is there an easy way to do this?? Thanks for your help!

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller