Latest post Mon, Nov 16 2020 11:18 PM by Robert Goodman . 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 15 2020 8:01 PM

The threat of other NLE's?

Having been on Avid since Express pro back in 2005 and loyaly staying put im wondering about your thoughts on competition especially Davinci Resolve studio?

Im well aware that MC is the go to industry standard (opinion) for the big film and edit houses and together with the right hardware can be a rocksolid place to be for big projects.  

DR is without question the place for colour im sure we can all pretty well agree on that. what im wondering given the breakneck speed BM seem to be developing the NLE side of studio do you think Avid should be concerned?

I purchased Resolve studio 16 6 months ago to have a look ( i know they do a free version) and so much of the basic day to day edit workflow seem to be really well thought out as in how they are implemented.

Thoughts?

*****Stay Tuned***** [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 15 2020 9:04 PM In reply to

• nymills
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York City
    • Posts 346
    • Points 4,940

Re: The threat of other NLE's?

I'm a long time editor, Avid since 1998, and love the standard and leadership it has played to the film world. Our production flow has been Avid based since the beginning save DR for color. At a recent NYC NAB event I too saw BM software unfolding as though putting a target on Adobe and Avid's backs. 

All that said, I have friends running full production houses for film and television with near a dozen suites all running on Premiere. Other associates running production houses all Avid. I think it's what works for you and your business. There are certainly leaders in this business and I hope Avid continues to be one of those.

Win10 64Bit, Media Composer Ultimate/SS/FF/Symphony 2021.6, Boris FX Suite HP ZBook 17 G6, 128GB Ram, RTX 5000, 250GB SSD System Drive, 1TB SSD... [view my complete system specs]

Michael Mills
    TeleStory Pictures
    www.telestorypictures.com
    "Some people see things and say,'Why?' I dream things that never were; and say,'Why not?'"

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 12:55 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,414
    • Points 54,880

I think competition is a positive thing, keeps inovation and efficient cost of operation advancing.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 21.5. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 18/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 5:08 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,911
    • Points 70,025

As far as I can tell the competitor is not Resolve, it's Premiere. It's a strange world, since Resolve is more reliable than Premiere, and none of them equals MC as for pure editing.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 8:00 AM In reply to

When you read the issues that Adobe PP seems to have its amazing that they are the direct competitor at the moment.

Given the rate of development and pricing model of Black Magic and DR Studio i can see some pressure coming the way of the established NLE's. 

*****Stay Tuned***** [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 16 2020 12:31 PM In reply to

For the larger players its not just about the functionality of the software. 

There is the support for a wide range of hardware and the option of paid support.

If you go the BM or Adobe route you need to support your hardware and the software. And that may well need a small team of people.

But with Avid you can choose to use supported hardware and have a support contract and know the people who develop the software have your back. That can be critical in a TV environment where you can't afford down time.

There is also the backwards compatibility consideration. Try opening a 5 year old premiere project or an old Resolve project on a current system. I've opened Avid Projects over a decade old complete with media and been able to rework content for a client.

At the end of the day these are just tools to do jobs and you use a range of tools to get the best from each.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 1:51 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,414
    • Points 54,880

With the legions of young-un zombies walking around stairing at their hands all day, one wonders how much cost and effort will accompany images watched on a 3"x4" screen....

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 21.5. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 18/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 2:12 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 366
    • Points 4,355

Pat Horridge:
    Try opening a 5 year old premiere project or an old Resolve project on a current system. I've opened Avid Projects over a decade old complete with media and been able to rework content for a client.

I totally agree - I also had to open a project that was 10 years old - and to my amazement all went well - there were only a few minoir hicups with audio filters - otherwise it was a breeze

To me the only thing thay is attractive with adobe the intergeration of AE/PHOTOSHOP - but their support cannot compare to avid - plus I sometimes send out some of my projects to a finishing editor who is still on older version of MC - never have any problems

L

Symphony 2021.5 - Win 10 pro (20H2),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X CPU, Quadro P2000,driver 461.72; 64gig memory, 1TB NV system drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 16 2020 8:06 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 609
    • Points 7,775

TVJohn:

With the legions of young-un zombies walking around stairing at their hands all day, one wonders how much cost and effort will accompany images watched on a 3"x4" screen....

Thats the thing. The young-uns who learned about Premiere Pro 10yrs or so ago on youtube are the ones pushing it along. There were many pirated copies that got them started and sites like youtube with all the tutorials have made it popular among the masses. Avids presence compared to other NLEs isn't that big outside of the industry. I would probably be on premiere myself if it wasn't for the upgrade of Liquid to Media Composer. 

• Mon, Nov 16 2020 11:18 PM In reply to

editing on ppro is like walking on egg shells all day. feels like its going to crash at any given moment. that and its sloppy. like heres every feature in the world but a half assed implemation of it. 

resolve is actually alot better and well thought out but yea, avid just works and the editiorial functionality is miles ahead. i dont see it going anywhere anytime soon and its still got a strong foothold in my circles. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller